Marcus Oakley's "Best Recommendation" Questions

M

marcus oakley

Audioholic
hi all i am affter buying the rrsl cg24 5.1 speaker package but i neeed a rerciever i want to be able to do 11.2 soundd dolby atmos dts x plus has hdr support hdcp 2.2 hdmi 2.0a spec 2015/2016 models basically i want the perfect partner reciever that will fully justify what the speaker package will do neeed to know asap pleease?

M

marcus oakley

Audioholic
hi i am after making up a rsl cg24 11.2 home theatre package i want the best sound quality possible for using the rsl cg24 7.0 system as base then i need surround reciever power amplifier to make it 11.2 i need 4 height speakers cant use in ceiling speakers need speakerwire 2 subwoofer cables also 2 subs that go very low bass extension and a surge protector my budget $8000

M

marcus oakley

Audioholic
What package out of these would give me the very best sound quality:

rsl cg24
svs primes
elac uni b5 package
emptek 55ti series
chane arx 5c package

In what order would you rank them?
I have $3000 budget to spend on a 5.1 package.
All i want is the very best sounding package.

Can you recommend another speaker package that blows them all out of the water?

Thanks.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
The "very best" is a decision based on personal preference which nobody can make for you.

I'm not exactly clear on what your budget is, and I'm not gonna look up every system, but Sound and Vision seems to rate the Wharfedale Diamond system pretty highly in this months issue.

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/wharfedale-diamond-220-speaker-system-review#7ACuIY7t26P8T4SA.97

Towers and/or a bigger, badder sub can always be substituted for the ones listed here.

In any case, to find the "very best", you're gonna have to listen for yourself. Reading about them is not the same as hearing them.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
M

Mark of Cenla

Full Audioholic
It would be much easier for everyone to read your post if you used capital letters and punctuation.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
$3K for speakers ONLY?

Agree with Mark, the only way you're going to find the best for YOU is to go listen for yourself. ALL of the speakers you mentioned will be good, but which is the best for you depends on you.

DD66000

DD66000

Senior Audioholic
Is there some reason you listed all ID speaker brands.
Not always the best choice.
As mentioned, you need to do extensive auditions of many brands.

C

class a

Junior Audioholic
What room is this for?? Living room, den, dedicated media room. Are you in a condo or a house. Also the dimensions of the room would be nice to know. Do you already have the electronics for the system??

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
I would encourage you to consider speakers outside of a "package" deal. A 36-pack of Scotts buttribbon is cheaper than single rolls, but not necessarily better than Charmin.

I suggest you look here, send an email and talk to Dennis Murphy, (the designer and owner): http://philharmonicaudio.com/

Also you should look here: http://www.ascendacoustics.com/, and here: http://salksound.com/
I agree with some of this -- mainly the Philharmonic and Ascend tips. Salk might be a bit out of his price range for 5.1 though. I also partially agree about not being inflexible about the package deal, insomuch that often times the sub that accompanies an LCRS package can barely be called a sub.

Sierra + Rythmik owners always seem to be highly pleased with their decision. You might also consider Hsu's package deals. Both Ascend and Hsu offer in-home auditions, sort of. Ascend makes you pay to ship them back. So does Dr. Hsu, who also subtracts his shipping costs from the refund (according to his FAQ). Nevertheless, their products are extremely well-reputed.

I've heard nice things about SVS speakers as well, but the price / performance ratio for their subs isn't quite as impressive as it once was.

ELAC and EmpTek, though I'm sure they're lovely, might be aiming a bit short. I have no opinion on the Chane or RSL choices.

If I had $3000 to spend on a 5.1, I'd ask Dennis Murphy if he could do an LCR based on the BMR Philharmonitors, maybe a pair of Affordable Accuracy monitors for surrounds, spend the rest on stands / articulating wall brackets / Monoprice speaker wire / whatever, then save a little longer for a worthy subwoofer (depending on the cubic footage you have to fill). And I'd be surprised if you traded any of it away within the next 20 years. For revealing clarity, it'll trump everything on O.P.'s list. Or at least it will either if O.P. is OK with a vertical center or if Dennis will agree to designing a horizontal BMR. Doesn't cost anything to ask, right?

If OP and Dennis can't reach an agreement about the center speaker, then maybe a pair of Salk Songbirds with a SongCenter for LCR, a couple of Affordable Accuracy monitors for surrounds, and still save up a bit more for a worthy sub later.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Is there some reason you listed all ID speaker brands.
Some B&M companies are selling via both Internet & Dealers. For example, KEF, RBH, and probably other brands are selling both ways. Of course, clients often get much better pricing going to their dealers (like 25-30% off).

The EMP speakers are actually the RBH Impression speakers.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
SVS is also selling through local dealers now, and I've been "treated well" on pricing by the dealer I use. I've only bought their subwoofers (now up to 3 bought, though I only have one) and very happy. I don't agree that their value is diminished of late because you still get all of their "Bill Of Rights" benefits buying either way.

BTW, here's a limited time bargain on a full system, though I'd sell off the sub and get good SVS.

https://www.kefdirect.com/specials/specials/q-series-dolby-atmos-home-theater-system-special.html

M

marcus oakley

Audioholic
hi i am after buying the ascend acoustics sierra 2s for the 3 main fronts with ribbon upgrade i would like to know what would be the best rears to use with the sieerras2s in your opinions? i want them to be perfect partner also i want the perfect amp want to do 11.2 with latest future specs i am deciding between marantz 7010 or denonx6200w would they be a great match for the speakers or can anybody recommend better amp want very best sound quality for what the speakers can do also i want to add either emotive xpa3 or marantz pm6005 for additional pre outs so i can run the fronts and centre from the amp what would be better or again what do people recommend? also what speaker cable do people recommend i want it to enhance the capabilities of what the speakers can do i want 100% performance from them also would 2 hsu vtf 3 mk5 or rythmik fv15hp be the better performer for this setup or any other sub? also what rca subwoofer cable would you use with this setup? also i want 4 dolby atmos height speakers that you mount high up next to the ceiling what do people recommend for this setup? would the htm 200se be good height speakers or svs primes even also need additional back surrounds would the htm 200se be best or any other for this duty i want 60% movies 30% music 10% games the size of my room is 16ft wide by 8feet depth 12 feet heigh i like pop techno rock rnb classical heavy metal jazz hip hop i have 8500 to 10,000$ max to spend or could anybody recommend another complete setup that would blow this setup out of the water for the same price thanks:cool::D:rolleyes:

A

Andrew08

Audioholic Intern
whoa man please space your words

like this.

any way
1.no need for fancy rca cable for subwoofer and fancy speaker cable for speaker, follow awg guideline for speaker cable, and any cheap rca will do.
2.don't worry about your av receiver, even though your speaker is low sensitivity speaker the impedance minimum is 6, try x1200 and see if the speaker is loud enough.
3.I was so surprised to see the speaker graph provided by the site, it is like almost all of them are manipulated, seriously, that flat for frequency response? but need other to confirm.
4.try speaker from different company before deciding. do not decide before trying from 2 or more brand.
5.external amp? for a bookshelf is... over kill, and not necessary, the only time you need external amp is if your speaker is rated 4 ohm and below, very low sensitivity, you like to listen to speaker very loud, your room is very big.

M

marcus oakley

Audioholic
hi

i cant make my mind up between the chane arx speakers or the ascend acoutics speakers?

what would be the better floorstander the arx 5c or ascend tower i know theres quite a difference in price

i will be using a denon x6200w will be doing a 11.2 setup

i have two hsu vtf 15h mk2 subs

what would be the better setup? thanks

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
between these two Ascend by far. Not even fair to Arx. Sorry, Chane/Chase fans - Besides subjective - I have yet to see one single objective review with measurements.
Now, Ascend tower vs Philarmonic slim tower
http://philharmonicaudio.com/slims.html
Now that's much more tricker question - these going to quite similar as their respective designers share similar philosophy - make speaker as accurate as possible on fair budget.

As for pricing Philharmonic slim come with RAAL ribbon twitter included, while on Ascend's it's hefty $700 option on top of $1998- so total at-least $2698 with RAAL twitter vs only $2200 on Slims - which makes the latter a better deal.

But even without RAAL, Sierra tower are still great tower speaker

p.s: Dennis Murphy - Owner and Designer of all Philharmonic audio speakers doesn't make center channels - if you can't go with AT screen and matching front 3 towers - you'd need to talk to Salk to make a matching center, while Ascent Sierra has perfectly matched Horizon speaker ready to order.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Although I am waiting on the new Chane A2.4 to become available, I would be opting for the Slims if I were you. Not taking anything away from the Sierra tower, but YOU will get more for YOUR money going with the Slims. Right now, I am highly considering ordering the BMR's. Can't recommend Dennis's speakers enough. Just saying.......

Cheers,

Phil

M

marcus oakley

Audioholic
HI

NEEDA DIY/CARPENTER TO BUILD MY SEOS TEMPEST 12 FROM SCRATCH FOR ME I LIVE IN THE UK KETTERING NORTHAMPTONSHIRE AREA CAN ANYBODY POST A LINK TO AWEBSITE THAT CAN BUILD THEM FOR ME PLEASE IF YOU COULD REPLY ASAP PLEASE?:rolleyes::eek::cool::D

M

marcus oakley

Audioholic
hi

i just bought the monitor audio asb2 soundbar i am after buying the perfect match subwoofer i want it to fill the room with pulsating very very deep heavy bass with great impact i want it to sound more dynamic alive sound i want the soundstage to grow in height and width what do you reccommend budget is £250 to £650 max roomsize is width 18feet by 12 feet depth height 12feet i like pop rock heavy metal techno house rave and classical music want it 80% movies 20% music thanks if you could list a couple of specific subs that would be great could you please reply asap:cool::mad:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis