Marantz SR6013 & Volume control / ECO display on LG 4K C9

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
Hello all

Can't seem to find the answer to this - need to have the AVR display the Volume level on the screen when adjusting and also the ECO status on the LG 4K C9 TV

Do I need to adjust in the AVR or the TV??

I tried looking in both locations but nothing - thanks in advance!

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Sorry
Forgot to tell.

Thru HDMI arc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Then you wont get any graphic info from reciever when using the TV as the «hub» and sound through ARC to reciever. You should get volume info unless turned off when reciever is using another input. Its usually best to connect sources directly to the reciever and avoid using ARC unless you use apps on the TV.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
Then you wont get any graphic info from reciever when using the TV as the «hub» and sound through ARC to reciever. You should get volume info unless turned off when reciever is using another input. Its usually best to connect sources directly to the reciever and avoid using ARC unless you use apps on the TV.

I use apps - Netflix, YouTube tv, etc

How else should I connect?

I thought I needed to Connect all the devices to the AVR and then one cable to TV thru HDMI 2 aka arc

So What is the best setup of cables then?

Marantz SR6013
LG 4K C9
Sony 4K BR Player

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
I use apps - Netflix, YouTube tv, etc

How else should I connect?

I thought I needed to Connect all the devices to the AVR and then one cable to TV thru HDMI 2 aka arc

So What is the best setup of cables then?

Marantz SR6013
LG 4K C9
Sony 4K BR Player
Ah, so you only use AudioReturnChannel for TV apps and not other sources like bluray then, thats good. When you watch a bluray for example you should see the recievers volume when changing it unless the OnScreenDisplay is turned off.
When using the TVs own apps and sending sound to reciever through ARC then there is no video signals from the AVR and thus no volume displayed on the TV.

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
So no dice for this when watching Netflix or Amazon prime video??

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
So no dice for this when watching Netflix or Amazon prime video??

Not unless you use a different device, hooked up to your avr and stop using arc.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Get an Amazon Fire Stick and plug it in your avr....better apps than tvs generally, too.

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
I assumed Arc connection is preferred on these new 4k TVs??

If I buy a cube or stick then how do I setup that thru hdmi on AVR? On back of unit?

After that what input do I use from AVR to TV?
Thanks guys

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Most of us don't prefer ARC at all. Maybe when the advanced ARC with lossless capability comes out (but then tv apps won't likely have that as a source).

I just plug my fire sticks into hdmi ports on the back of my avrs, and as long as you have decent wifi signal, you're good to go. HDMI from avr to tv (and it will be for video unless for some crazy reason you want to use tv speakers).

ps Which input on the tv as long as its hdmi wouldn't matter (some avrs/tvs have restricted hdmi ports for ARC, tho)

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
ARC sucks. I usually use my Sony bdp700, or PS3 to use Netflix or other streamers. It’s a lot more consistent.

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
Got it

I never know that.

I just think it's weird to spend all that money on a new 4K TV with built in apps and we shouldn't use it!

What's the best streaming device to use?

I kinda like the remote of the LG. Very well laid out. Oh well!

Will I be able to use my Harmony Elite remote with the streaming device?

Thanks guys

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well, a Fire Stick is bluetooth, so I use it separately from my Harmony 650 & 600. But looking at the Harmony site https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/harmony-experience-with-amazon-fire-os?utm_source=support.myharmony.com&utm_medium=compatibility tool&utm_campaign=support article - s-m-4058

It's like an avr, they come fully loaded and the economies of scale work for you in general. Try and buy a tv that's a simple monitor for use with a good AV system, it just costs more. I started out using just my tv apps, then moved on to those in my bluray players/PS3 for better audio, then onto a separate device due limitations in those....

Would you please consider removing the ad from your tapatalk signature? Thanks.

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
What ad??

Also I currently have Ethernet directly connected to The TV for streaming which I believe to be better if I'm not mistaken??

Can I plug that Ethernet cable into the AVR and have the fire stick use that connection to the internet?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Got it

I never know that.

I just think it's weird to spend all that money on a new 4K TV with built in apps and we shouldn't use it!

Thanks guys

Well just because they’re in there, doesn’t mean they’re good. The thing is, there not trying to appeal to the nerd herd here. Those apps are for joe shmo who thinks a sound bar is Cinema. Actually, I think TV makers really think including them is valuable, and mostly it probably is valuable. If your using the tv, and it’s speakers...

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
Well just because they’re in there, doesn’t mean they’re good. The thing is, there not trying to appeal to the nerd herd here. Those apps are for joe shmo who thinks a sound bar is Cinema. Actually, I think TV makers really think including them is valuable, and mostly it probably is valuable. If your using the tv, and it’s speakers...
I understand now. Thanks for that clarification.

Gonna research which stick to get....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis