Marantz SR4002 Surround Receiver

B

B3Nut

Audioholic
Odd that it supports HDMI 1.3 but won't decode DSD over HDMI, when DSD is part of the 1.2 spec (I downloaded the user manual.) Bummer, I like Marantz even though the 4002 would make me buy an outboard phono preamp for the licorice pizzas... :)

Guess the Yammy 661 will be the AVR that I order when the funcash pile reaches the requisite level, that and an Oppo 980...antiiicipaaationnnn...... ;)

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Odd that it supports HDMI 1.3 but won't decode DSD over HDMI, when DSD is part of the 1.2 spec (I downloaded the user manual.) Bummer, I like Marantz even though the 4002 would make me buy an outboard phono preamp for the licorice pizzas... :)

Guess the Yammy 661 will be the AVR that I order when the funcash pile reaches the requisite level, that and an Oppo 980...antiiicipaaationnnn...... ;)
That's because the Marantz AV-4002 is HDMI 1.3 pass thru HDMI 1.1 repeater.;)

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Seems the Marantz 4002 is missing "lip sync". Should I be concerned about it?
LOL, way to bump.

Maybe, I personally have never seen a lip sync problem. Other people I know have noticed it, but I never see what they see. I guess I am just not a videophile.:(

S

Sesquipedalian

Enthusiast
What is your opinion on home theater sound of Marantz receivers in general?

I have seen very good comments about music but not much about how it sounds for home theater.

Also some of them in the past had limited crossover settings for base management.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
What is your opinion on home theater sound of Marantz receivers in general?

I have seen very good comments about music but not much about how it sounds for home theater.

Also some of them in the past had limited crossover settings for base management.
Marantz are well designed receivers. Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo, Marantz, Pioneer, and countless others make great receivers as well. They all sound great with movies and music.:)

patnshan

patnshan

Senior Audioholic
LOL, way to bump.

Maybe, I personally have never seen a lip sync problem. Other people I know have noticed it, but I never see what they see. I guess I am just not a videophile.:(
I've never seen it on any of my three systems either. I haven't seen it on anybody else's either.

Pat

patnshan

patnshan

Senior Audioholic
Marantz are well designed receivers. Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo, Marantz, Pioneer, and countless others make great receivers as well. They all sound great with movies and music.:)
I have a marantz and two yamaha's. I like them all, but money no object I'd go with Marantz. At the time, the 661 was best for me for the money for my theater. I do love it, but if buying today I'd probably get this 4002. For reference, I have the SR8400 and love it, but no HDMI:(

Pat

S

Sesquipedalian

Enthusiast
I have seen some comment that Marantz has a dark sound.

Could someone please explain what a dark sound is?

Thanks

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord

Thanks
I would say comments regarding Marantz sounding "dark" are bogus. I would ignore it, and pick the receiver with the features, power, and aesthetics you want/need.

R

rzemek

Audiophyte
I just hooked up my brand new Marantz 4002 to replace my 15 year old Yamaha RXV870, and I am a total novice! I found that when I play a DVD with dts or 5.1 Dolby, my subwoofer is engaged. However, when I play a CD through the same DVD player, it is not. I looked it up in the manual, and PCM audio doesn't engage the sub. I also don't get 5.1 channel when listening to my Rogers digital cable. I would like the sub to also play when I am listening to audio too. Any suggestions? (I have a Panasonic DVD player hooked up to the receiver via component for video and digital optical out for audio. My sub is hooked up via a subwoofer-out co-axial. My Rogers is hooked up via HDMI to the receiver. While I have an old (cheap Kenwood) CD player, I did not hook it up because I think that the Panasonic has better circuitry.)

I would appreciate any thoughts! (Last question: if I got a new Apple TV to stream audio from my iMac, would that play 5.1 or just 2.0 stereo or something in-between)?

Thanks a lot -- this is a great forum.
Roger

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I just hooked up my brand new Marantz 4002 to replace my 15 year old Yamaha RXV870, and I am a total novice! I found that when I play a DVD with dts or 5.1 Dolby, my subwoofer is engaged. However, when I play a CD through the same DVD player, it is not. I looked it up in the manual, and PCM audio doesn't engage the sub. I also don't get 5.1 channel when listening to my Rogers digital cable. I would like the sub to also play when I am listening to audio too. Any suggestions? (I have a Panasonic DVD player hooked up to the receiver via component for video and digital optical out for audio. My sub is hooked up via a subwoofer-out co-axial. My Rogers is hooked up via HDMI to the receiver. While I have an old (cheap Kenwood) CD player, I did not hook it up because I think that the Panasonic has better circuitry.)

I would appreciate any thoughts! (Last question: if I got a new Apple TV to stream audio from my iMac, would that play 5.1 or just 2.0 stereo or something in-between)?

Thanks a lot -- this is a great forum.
Roger
Look for a feature or setup mode that says "double bass" or "LFE+Main" something like that. That should turn your subwoofer on for stereo playback. Also, be sure direct is not engaged, as that may disable the subwoofer output.

newb

newb

Junior Audioholic
Marantz 4002 or Yamaha RXV 661?

I know you all probably get this alot so I apologize in advance.
I'm looking for a receiver to act as a base for a fledgling system but with some oomph and future expandability. Budget geared towards good components and some better than HTIB speakers (Onix x-ls as recommended by this site).
So, $550.00 is about my limit. The Marantz looks to have the connectivity for the future and brand quality but pardon my naivety seems a bit underpowered at 80W per?
The Yamaha has the price and the power, seems to be in wide use and may help the budget.
What do you think?

patnshan

patnshan

Senior Audioholic

Thanks
Never heard that:confused: I have heard "warm" which to me means equal highs, mids, lows. Nothing exaggerated, nothing there that wasn't there when recorded. That's what I hear.
The Yamaha's have been described as "bright", but I don't see that either. Some of the DSP settings can make it that way if you like, but it doesn't need to be.

Pat

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I'm looking for a receiver to act as a base for a fledgling system but with some oomph and future expandability. Budget geared towards good components and some better than HTIB speakers (Onix x-ls as recommended by this site).
So, $550.00 is about my limit. The Marantz looks to have the connectivity for the future and brand quality but pardon my naivety seems a bit underpowered at 80W per?
The Yamaha has the price and the power, seems to be in wide use and may help the budget.
What do you think?
Don't worry yourself with the power ratings, they are probably about the same, maybe with an edge to the Marantz.:)

R

rlj676

Audioholic Intern
What do you think?

I don't know where Marantz power ratings fall, but I know that you can't compare mfg's as it is not apples to apples as Seth said. I for example have a NAD 743 rated at 50x5, but can promise you it compares to much higher rated other mfg's. So you can't rely on those numbers due to variances in measuring techniques. My reading has lead me to try and use weight, mfg rep, and cost to compare power. I just ordered a refurbed Marantz 4600 (same power as 4002) based on this for the bedroom to drive my SBS 01's which aren't sensitive really. I'm really curious how this Marantz 80 watts compares to NAD 50, but expect it to be less in reality based on weight/cost.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I don't know where Marantz power ratings fall, but I know that you can't compare mfg's as it is not apples to apples as Seth said. I for example have a NAD 743 rated at 50x5, but can promise you it compares to much higher rated other mfg's. So you can't rely on those numbers due to variances in measuring techniques. My reading has lead me to try and use weight, mfg rep, and cost to compare power. I just ordered a refurbed Marantz 4600 (same power as 4002) based on this for the bedroom to drive my SBS 01's which aren't sensitive really. I'm really curious how this Marantz 80 watts compares to NAD 50, but expect it to be less in reality based on weight/cost.
I use a variety of factors as well, that was a nice way to put it.:)

newb

newb

Junior Audioholic
Receiver choice Re-Cap

Ok...
So after some bargain hunting and forum fishing...this is my thought on a base system:
Yamaha RXV 661
Aperion 533-T Mains
Aperion 533-VAC Center
HSU STF-1 Sub
What do you all think and will the 661 power those speakers adequately? I am on a tighter budget on the receiver among other things. The sys will be for movies and a healthy dash of music too!
Thanks

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Ok...
So after some bargain hunting and forum fishing...this is my thought on a base system:
Yamaha RXV 661
Aperion 533-T Mains
Aperion 533-VAC Center
HSU STF-1 Sub
What do you all think and will the 661 power those speakers adequately? I am on a tighter budget on the receiver among other things. The sys will be for movies and a healthy dash of music too!
Thanks
I think the Yamaha will power them fine.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm really curious how this Marantz 80 watts compares to NAD 50, but expect it to be less in reality based on weight/cost.
You have a point, for a 5 channel model, your 50WX5 NADT743 is very heavy and is conservatively rated. That said, sometimes people (not referring to you)get carry away bragging how their NAD or HK model's conservatively rate their products and forget that there is a point where you have to consider $/watt. Here are some lab reports from a HomeCinemaChoice, a British AV magazine:

NAD743 £400
Manufacturer’s Rated Output
5 x 50W into 8Ω
Measured power @ 1kHz
2ch driven: 75W into 8Ω
5ch driven: 55W into 8Ω
Fidelity firewall @ 1kHz/2ch
70W: into 8Ω (0.05%THD)
Distortion @ 1kHz
0.008%THD @ 50W (8Ω)
Frequency response
20Hz-20kHz +/-0.025dB
36.1 lbs

Denon 1804 £400
5 x 90W into 8Ω
Measured power @ 1kHz
2ch driven: 110W into 8Ω
5ch driven: 35W into 8Ω
Fidelity firewall @ 1kHz/ 2ch
105W:into 8Ω (0.05%THD)
Distortion @ 1kHz
0.002%THD @ 50W (8Ω)
Frequency response
20Hz-20kHz +/- 0.02 dB
26.2 lbs

Marantz SR4400 £350
6x 90W into 8Ω
Measured power @ 1kHz
2ch driven: 110W into 8Ω
5ch driven: 85W into 8Ω
105W:into 8Ω (0.05%THD)
Distortion @ 1kHz
0.005%THD @ 50W (8Ω)
Frequency response
20Hz-20kHz +/- 0.14 dB
27.5 lbs

Onkyo SR501 £300
6x 65W into 8Ω
Measured power @ 1kHz
2ch driven: 80W into 8Ω
5ch driven: 35W into 8Ω
75W:into 8Ω (0.05%THD)
Distortion @ 1kHz
0.01%THD @ 50W (8Ω)
Frequency response
20Hz-20kHz +/- 0.05 dB
21.6 lbs

Sony DB790 £300
6x 90W into 8Ω
Measured power @ 1kHz
2ch driven: 96W into 8Ω
5ch driven: 65W into 8Ω
95W:into 8Ω (0.05%THD)
Distortion @ 1kHz
0.004%THD @ 50W (8Ω)
Frequency response
20Hz-20kHz +/- 0.05 dB
31.9 lbs

You can see that when compared on $/watt, 2 channel output, fidelity firewall output, the T743 offers no advantage against other similarly priced reputable products. In fact the Sony and Denon earned the bestbuy rating in a shootout with the Onkyo, JVC and Marantz. Both models offer significantly higher 2 channel output rating than the NAD. If you read some of the Audioholic articles, the ACD rating is not as important as we sometimes think it is.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis