Marantz SR4002 Surround Receiver

J

jacococo

Audiophyte
Marantz SR4002 vs Harman Kardon AVR 132?

Hi All,

I am a musician and music quality is very important to me.
But willing to have also possibility to see movies, I am looking for an AVR for a 40m2 room.

By the way, I already bought a pair of KEF IQ3...waiting for their receiver...

By comparing entry levels models (Denon, Yamaha and Harman Kardon),
it was obvious to my ear that the Harman Kardon AVR 132 was the best in terms of stereo sound.

It is cheap (because it's a model in end of life, without HDMI and all the new stuffs).

I was then convinced by my ears and by the High Amperage argument (although I don't really understand what that means...).

...But when buying the KEF speakers, the seller told me that Marantz is not well marketized in my country but that they are far above the others in terms of stereo music..that Marantz SR4002 gives a warm trustable sound (like analog vintage receivers)...that will be much better than the Harman Kardon AVR 132.

Unfortunately, it is not possible to compare the models in the shops, they don't have HK AVR 132 in stock.

Can anyone who knows these models help me make the choice?

Marantz SR4002 or Harman Kardon AVR 132 ?
Again my decision criteria is mainly quality audio music.

Thanks

Dan

B

Biff

Audiophyte
Popping noises from SR4002

Hey all - anyone else experience slight popping sounds on their Marantz SR4002 when muting, changing inputs, or between chapters on certain DVDs?

I've taken this POS back to the service center, communicated with Marantz service people back in NJ over the course of at least a month, and their final response:

"It is not abnormal behavior."

I asked them if that's true, why does it not happen if I disable the surround speakers OR use the 7.1 direct mode.

I doubt I would buy another Marantz product after this experience. Yeah, I know this is a lower-priced item but all of their stuff should work properly in basic functions such as muting.

Biff

C

codengland

Audiophyte
If you get it for watching movies there's actually no point of getting 7.1 because no movies are recorded in this format so far except Penn's labyrinth maybe. It's way better to get a separate preamp and amp even with five channels. You always need to what fits your place better. I've got lots of useful information regarding it from ww.av-setup.com. They are located in Manhattan, so if you live around, check them out :)

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
If you get it for watching movies there's actually no point of getting 7.1 because no movies are recorded in this format so far except Penn's labyrinth maybe. It's way better to get a separate preamp and amp even with five channels. You always need to what fits your place better. I've got lots of useful information regarding it from ww.av-setup.com. They are located in Manhattan, so if you live around, check them out :)
Thanks for that load of bollocks.

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Actually, there are no true 7.1-channel discrete recordings at all, even on Blu-ray. This is a FACT.

All 7.1-channel encoded audio recordings, mixed by the studio sound engineers, are all derive from 5.1 audio stems, to create the two additional rear surround channels. Ask any professional recording studio engineer, and they will confirm this fact.
* Here's few names that you can contact: Roger Dressler, ex-audio engineer at Dolby Labs, Kal Rubinson, Stereophile writer, Marc Fishman, professional film mixer,
Chris, from Audyssey head department, and many more...

Last edited:
Patrick_Wolf

Patrick_Wolf

Audioholic
Hey all - anyone else experience slight popping sounds on their Marantz SR4002 when muting, changing inputs, or between chapters on certain DVDs?

I've taken this POS back to the service center, communicated with Marantz service people back in NJ over the course of at least a month, and their final response:

"It is not abnormal behavior."

I asked them if that's true, why does it not happen if I disable the surround speakers OR use the 7.1 direct mode.

I doubt I would buy another Marantz product after this experience. Yeah, I know this is a lower-priced item but all of their stuff should work properly in basic functions such as muting.

Biff
My cheapo Pioneer has a slight pop when I change the channels, which was rather annoying at first. Now it doesn't seem as bad, or maybe I'm just used to it. Anyway it's not loud enough to annoy me.

R

redass

Junior Audioholic
Actually, there are no true 7.1-channel discrete recordings at all, even on Blu-ray. This is a FACT.

All 7.1-channel encoded audio recordings, mixed by the studio sound engineers, are all derive from 5.1 audio stems, to create the two additional rear surround channels. Ask any professional recording studio engineer, and they will confirm this fact.
* Here's few names that you can contact: Roger Dressler, ex-audio engineer at Dolby Labs, Kal Rubinson, Stereophile writer, Marc Fishman, professional film mixer,
I believe there are ps3 games that output 7.1 channels, although I suppose they are not really "recordings". You can reference any 16-year-old you like, but I'm not giving out any names. :cool:

I for one like the difference between 6.1 and 5.1 channel surround, although I would not say it's a LARGE difference. I think maybe the difference between 6.1 and 7.1 might be even less than 5.1 - 6.1, though.

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
I believe there are ps3 games that output 7.1 channels, although I suppose they are not really "recordings". You can reference any 16-year-old you like, but I'm not giving out any names. :cool:

I for one like the difference between 6.1 and 5.1 channel surround, although I would not say it's a LARGE difference. I think maybe the difference between 6.1 and 7.1 might be even less than 5.1 - 6.1, though.
1. Beats me man, I did not know that there are "not true recordings". Well, for PS3 gamers, the sound effects with the music are all prefabricated; but they are still real recordings, just not in real space, like a live band. Same thing happens with the sound effects from a movie. But the music soundtrack in a film, is "often" from a live orchestra recording, large or small.

2. These guys are not 16-year old kids. :cool:

3. I love using my 7.2-channel surround sound system with all movies recorded in Dolby Pro Logic, DD, DTS, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD High Resolution Audio & DTS-HD Master Audio.
* I just feel more enveloped with all those seven (7) speakers and two (2) subwoofers all around my head. It gives me the Vertigo effect. :)
** The difference, SMALL or LARGE, between 5.1, 6.1, 7.1, or 7.2-channel, is not important to me; as long that I'm totally and fully integrated with the surround dimensional and spatial euphoria, I'm Oki-Doki. :)

Cheers,
Bob

Last edited:
J

johngalt47

Enthusiast
I have been using my SR4002 for a while now and still can't get the audio from my DVD player to come through this receiver. The audio from my Directv comes through just fine but when I press the DVD button for the source nothing happens.

Am I missing something?

A

allargon

Audioholic General

Really? I wonder about all those discs released by Surround Records. :rolleyes:

If you said there were no 1080p30 encodings on Blu-Ray, I would believe you.

Z

ZeroPlex

Enthusiast
Would this amp be capable of driving 2x200w rated front floorstanders (6 ohm 90db), 1x200w rated centre (6 ohm 90db), 2x120w rated surround floorstanders (6 ohm 86db)?

I'm currently using a 4002 with the 2x120w 86db 6ohms as fronts, a 150w 6ohm 88db centre and 120w 86db 6ohm surrounds.

Seems to be doing an ok job, but always wonder what a better amp could do for me. Do you think the amp is ok for my current setup?

I was looking ahead to the future with the first setup I mentioned.

Was the actual power of this receiver ever measured by any of the usual websites that do so?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis