P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Something is still not adding up. He keeps giving us conflicting/contradictory information with regards to his results.

I am unconvinced that this just isn't a matter of expectations compared to reality.
May be you missed his post#116, he said:

"So, when I make the factory reset and I arrive at the speakers test tone....there is a sound ....not loud. When the setup is finished and I go the the meniu for the test tone....no sound....that's so wierd......."

So he seemed clear that was the only time he could hear the sub, presumably sub1. The only part that is still not totally clear is whether "and I arrive at the speakers test tone" referred to during auto setup, i.e., running Audyssey.

If it is, then @comunicator2009 should repeat that process one more time and when he "arrive at the speakers test tone" again for the sub1, turn the subwoofer's volume dial up (the one at the back of the sub) and see if the level heard would go up.

C

comunicator2009

Junior Audioholic

"So, when I make the factory reset and I arrive at the speakers test tone....there is a sound ....not loud. When the setup is finished and I go the the meniu for the test tone....no sound....that's so wierd......."

So he seemed clear that was the only time he could hear the sub, presumably sub1. The only part that is still not totally clear is whether "and I arrive at the speakers test tone" referred to during auto setup, i.e., running Audyssey.

If it is, then @comunicator2009 should repeat that process one more time and when he "arrive at the speakers test tone" again for the sub1, turn the subwoofer's volume dial up (the one at the back of the sub) and see if the level heard would go up.
Is there a website where I can have a look inside the receiver to see that is difficult to reach the sw1 connection?

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

Right, and I've asked very specifically what happens during the gain adjustment step and whether or not he was able to satisfy Audyssey and get it in the green with nothing that even approaches an answer.

The test tone under speaker settings for the sub is very quiet on my unit also. It's a very quiet, very low rumble and lines up with him saying it's "too quiet", but in a different post he says he's got nothing at all, followed up by "it plays but is too quiet" with the aforementioned test tone...

This is a mess trying to understand what the issue even is.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Right, and I've asked very specifically what happens during the gain adjustment step and whether or not he was able to satisfy Audyssey and get it in the green with nothing that even approaches an answer.

The test tone under speaker settings for the sub is very quiet on my unit also. It's a very quiet, very low rumble and lines up with him saying it's "too quiet", but in a different post he says he's got nothing at all, followed up by "it plays but is too quiet" with the aforementioned test tone...

This is a mess trying to understand what the issue even is.
Yes I agree that test will tell us something useful. I hope he will take the time to do it before trying anything else.

C

comunicator2009

Junior Audioholic
Yes I agree that test will tell us something useful. I hope he will take the time to do it before trying anything else.
I will do that again and I will keep you updated.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

I want to know what happens when Audyssey asks you to adjust the volume on the back of your subwoofer. A bar should come up that is red on the ends and green in the middle. It should ask you to adjust your subwoofer's volume (gain) until it is in the middle (green section) of the bar onscreen. Are you able to adjust it so that it's in the green?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The test tone under speaker settings is very quiet for me too. Practically inaudible. It's in no way a good way to tell if it's "loud enough". I've gone to my subs and put my hand on the drivers just to make sure they were all moving when playing that tone. You need to play some material with deep bass and stop going to that menu with the tones to judge results.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

By the way, are you interested in finding out if it would work with analog input. To me, that should also narrow down the potential culprits so what. It isn't hard to do either if you have suitable analog outputs to use, such that from a DVD or BR player (many older models have them) that has 7.1 analog outputs.

E

enrique

Full Audioholic
when running test tones just raise the master volume it will get loud

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C

comunicator2009

Junior Audioholic
when running test tones just raise the master volume it will get loud

Did another test...and the result is the same. The SW1 is broken... :(

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
What happens when you get to this step?

Screenshot_2021-11-28-06-07-27-2.png

Are you able to get it in the green?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
There is no such thing in the meniu.

There should be. That or a message saying no sub was detected. This is what I've been asking you about from the start of the thread. It's the first step in the setup process.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
There should be. That or a message saying no sub was detected. This is what I've been asking you about from the start of the thread. It's the first step in the setup process.
Not all the audyssey avrs have this particular format.

E

enrique

Full Audioholic
if the sw1 port is not detected at all maybe audessey wont provide a mssg..

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If his is the SR7012, it should have that for sure.
LOL was more thinking slimline like the thread title....and just that this step varies a bit depending on avr implementation....

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
LOL was more thinking slimline like the thread title....and just that this step varies a bit depending on avr implementation....
It is true that in the manuals, they never show the image of the onscreen meter bar but they do talk about the error message and the onscreen bars should be there when you run setup to that point. Both my Marantz AV8801 and Denon AVR-X4400H has it, your 4520 probably has the same too.

Below is from the SR7012's owner's manual, exactly the same word for word for the Denons.

1638143777791.png

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It is true that in the manuals, they never show the image of the onscreen meter bar but they do talk about the error message and the onscreen bars should be there when you run setup to that point. Both my Marantz AV8801 and Denon AVR-X4400H has it, your 4520 probably has the same too.

Below is from the SR7012's owner's manual, exactly the same word for word for the Denons.

View attachment 51869
Been long enough I don't recall the exact contents of the screen on the 4520, but does have a dB readout as well as the red/green thing. Usually the D&M stuff is fairly similar for GUI, tho. No colors on my Onkyo setup, just a dB readout (but has also been a while, pretty sure :) ).

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Overall, tho, I would like a step by step confirmation/recap of what his Audyssey setup is with screen shots....but overall is sounding like he's got an avr issue of sorts he can't straighten out....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis