Marantz av7705 or av8805?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Help me understand what the deal is with the Klipsch speakers not really being liked all that much? Believe me, I'm not taking offense, just trying to educate myself. I never really thought there was anything wrong with them myself but what do I know LOL
I don’t think there is anything wrong with Klipsch, Polk, DefTech, GoldenEar, B&W, and some others.

But over the years, there are just many cases of bashing these brands. I believe the reason is because many of the speaker measurements of these brands show a spike in the treble region or just not the +/-3dB range FR. So people might say they are bright or other adjectives.

So it has stuck.

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Personally, I disliked the sound of DefTech in my brief audition. ;)

You brought up B&W... and I think its funny 'cos I never thought of them in this group of speakers. Much like the DefTech, I was confounded with their performance in my audition based on the reputation they have overall. The 600 series towers were wholeheartedly disappointing! What I find even more humorous is the number of posts I've seen here with people that bought them... and then were unhappy! *shrugs Though if I recall, most complained they lacked bass extension (which was my thought to after 5 minutes).

Anyway, the meat of it is: if you are happy with it, its fine! :D

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
Yeah, Polk speakers are good, not great but for the money they get your foot in the door. Their customer service is excellent. As for the others to me? Over priced, but that can be said on a lot of other's speakers to. Very subjective this hobby is..

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, Polk speakers are good, not great but for the money they get your foot in the door. Their customer service is excellent. As for the others to me? Over priced, but that can be said on a lot of other's speakers to. Very subjective this hobby is..
I bet they love them Polks over on the Polk Forum. :D

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I’m not a fan of Polk or Boston or Klipsch but I personally like Def Tech ok if you add separate subs (don’t like the ones with built-in “subs” which aren’t subs).

I definitely prefer my Canton Ventos over Def Tech. No contest. The tweeters on the Ventos are sweet. LOL :)

Zedturbo

Zedturbo

Junior Audioholic
Update.....I ended up pulling the trigger on the ATI AT525NC 5-channel Amplifier and Marants AV8805. I feel like I made a good decision. I'm happy with the sound quality and features this combo has. I'm still running the Klipsch 5.1 system but still on the fence on a sub upgrade. I opened a thread on the subwoofer section talking about the new Rel HT/1508 or SVS PB-3000. Torn between ported or sealed

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Update.....I ended up pulling the trigger on the ATI AT525NC 5-channel Amplifier and Marants AV8805. I feel like I made a good decision. I'm happy with the sound quality and features this combo has. I'm still running the Klipsch 5.1 system but still on the fence on a sub upgrade. I opened a thread on the subwoofer section talking about the new Rel HT/1508 or SVS PB-3000. Torn between ported or sealed
Great choice on the amp. The 8805 at list price is not a good value, as the 7705 would do just as well, but for $3000 it is a good choice too.

Zedturbo

Zedturbo

Junior Audioholic
I agree on the processor but since I had a connection at $2900, I didn't want to pass it up. I guess I could have gotten the 7705 at cost too but I wanted the Dialogue Enhancement feature that I don't believe is on the 7705. Now on to the sub predicament lol

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I agree on the processor but since I had a connection at $2900, I didn't want to pass it up. I guess I could have gotten the 7705 at cost too but I wanted the Dialogue Enhancement feature that I don't believe is on the 7705. Now on to the sub predicament lol
Wow, I thought $3k was an incredible price for that but now $2.9K! Brand New in box with full Marantz warranty? Congrats!

gianni.parri

gianni.parri

Audiophyte
The 8805 is brilliant... 4to5k in Australia... you guys have such low prices over there.. your so lucky...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Having finally seen the measurements of both, one would have to conclude that the AV8805 is superior (in terms of measurements). That's just measurements, whether the difference would be picked up by the individual for real world use is a different story. So if money is the issue, the AV7705 is a better buy, but then you can get an AVR for much less, and with measurements practically the same.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, the 7705 is for people who must have Audyssey + AVP.

Otherwise, for the same price, the Yamaha CX-A5100 is a much better choice.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
The 8805 is brilliant... 4to5k in Australia... you guys have such low prices over there.. your so lucky...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Because there are millions of us!! But you guys have Croc crocodile Dundee! Plus Little River Band, and koala bears! oh and them really Big Rabbits that jump around on them big legs

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah, the 7705 is for people who must have Audyssey + AVP.

Otherwise, for the same price, the Yamaha CX-A5100 is a much better choice.
Even compared to the AV8805, we both know the CX-A measured roughly the same in key area based on Gene's and Amir's bench test results. Well, except we don't know about the CX-A's IMD numbers, though if THD is so low, IMD couldn't be that bad. So yes, at half the price it should be the default AVP for people who don't need Audyssey and/or 13 channel processing.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Even compared to the AV8805, we both know the CX-A measured roughly the same in key area based on Gene's and Amir's bench test results. Well, except we don't know about the CX-A's IMD numbers, though if THD is so low, IMD couldn't be that bad. So yes, at half the price it should be the default AVP for people who don't need Audyssey and/or 13 channel processing.
S&V would agree on the CX-A5100 v AV8802. Their numbers look almost identical on S&V:

Yamaha CX-A5100: SNR 130.92dB, XTalk 93.82dB, THD+N 0.008%
Marantz AV-8802: SNR 130.38dB, XTalk 92.21dB, THD+N 0.008%

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
S&V would agree on the CX-A5100 v AV8802. Their numbers look almost identical on S&V:

Yamaha CX-A5100: SNR 130.92dB, XTalk 93.82dB, THD+N 0.008%
Marantz AV-8802: SNR 130.38dB, XTalk 92.21dB, THD+N 0.008%
Imo S&V's preamp measurements are better than nothing most of the time, but nowhere near AH and ASR's as they didn't provide much info for their test conditions/standards. Hopefully they are at least consistent enough for comparison in "relative" terms only. Their power amp output measurements did seem to be a little more reasonable with a little more details, though not always the case either.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Imo S&V's preamp measurements are better than nothing most of the time, but nowhere near AH and ASR's as they didn't provide much info for their test conditions/standards. Hopefully they are at least consistent enough for comparison in "relative" terms only. Their power amp output measurements did seem to be a little more reasonable with a little more details, though not always the case either.
With S&V, I could easily compare all the components' SNR, THD, Crosstalk, FF.

I could see that all the SOTA components had SNR of 130dB, Crosstalk > 92dB, THD 0.008%.

I guess we can start doing the same with ASR, except now it's SINAD ( 100dB) and THD (0.0025%) since he doesn't always do Crosstalk.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja

I could see that all the SOTA components had SNR of 130dB, Crosstalk > 92dB, THD 0.008%.

I guess we can start doing the same with ASR, except now it's SINAD ( 100dB) and THD (0.0025%) since he doesn't always do Crosstalk.
Bro you up from your nap? Guys we gotta keep Andrew from falling asleep in his office. He ate a big Lunch at work today! Plus he said it’s slow at the Hospital today. Andrew is living the dream I tell ya! Gotta cool job, works at a big Hospital got Pretty nurses running around, goes home to his Beautiful wife, hides out when he gets home in his killer HT room with his 120” HDTV RBH surround with ATi amps! Man if we all should have it so hard like ADTG uhu. ;)

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

On THD+N, ASR pretty much always provide both % and dB, in dB that is SINAD = 1/(THD+N in %) and expressed in dB, i.e. logarithmic. S&V typically won't give you the output voltage, rendering the number much less meaningful. AH and ASR both typically would specify the output voltage.

Crosstalk: True, he has not been consistent and I think that is because he doesn't think it would be an issue. If he suspect it could be an issue for the dut, I trust he would do it. Obviously we would want him to always do it..

SNR: Gene's would sometimes do it for A weighted (e.g. CX-A5200) and sometimes unweighted (AVR-X3300H). ASR typically measured SNR "unweighted".

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis