Marantz av7705 or av8805?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Rel T9 $900. Good? I've never even heard of them
They have been around a while and are popular with some "audiophiles". $900 for a 10"? $500 maybe.

PS -6dB at 28hz barely qualifies as a "sub"

Zedturbo

Zedturbo

Junior Audioholic
They have been around a while and are popular with some "audiophiles". $900 for a 10"? $500 maybe.

PS -6dB at 28hz barely qualifies as a "sub"
I was thinking of a 12" at least but more like a 15". Klipsch makes a matching 15" to my speakers but they might not be as good as the others you listed

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I was thinking of a 12" at least but more like a 15". Klipsch makes a matching 15" to my speakers but they might not be as good as the others you listed
How big is the room? As they say, no replacement for displacement :) The R115SW is a decent sub at the right price. I'd stick to the others in general (but if you got a pair of the R115SWs at a really good price....).

Zedturbo

Zedturbo

Junior Audioholic
How big is the room? As they say, no replacement for displacement :) The R115SW is a decent sub at the right price. I'd stick to the others in general (but if you got a pair of the R115SWs at a really good price....).
I don't have a connection for Klipsch so it would be retail or whoever has them on sale like Newegg at $699 ea shipped. I would like to try 1 sub first and see if that fill the room before pulling the trigger and having to figure out space for 2 big beasts like that

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I don't have a connection for Klipsch so it would be retail or whoever has them on sale like Newegg at $699 ea shipped. I would like to try 1 sub first and see if that fill the room before pulling the trigger and having to figure out space for 2 big beasts like that
Placement is a whole 'nuther thang :) I'd still prefer the Hsus to start with.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
HSU is within driving distance to me so I'll prob go to their store and audition a few when that time comes
Socal, eh? You get sales tax so keep that in mind, too. I've not been but if I still lived in socal I would!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Help? What do you have in mind?
Thank you, Lovin'... that was perfect!
@Zedturbo... if you haven't seen yet, nothing inspires conversation among us here like a good "WTB-Subwoofer" thread! We LOVE helping people choose the best 3 or 5 subs! :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'm liking your idea of the new ATI processor though
If your grand plan is to buy the ATI AVP sooner, then you might not even want to buy the Marantz now.

If your plan is to get the ATI AVP in 2 years, then you might want to just spend $600 on an AVR with pre-outs.

But the ATI AVP + ATI AMP might be the best combo you can get.

M

Madhuski

Audioholic
I think before you buy anything, you might want to make a grand plan for the entire system.

Room, layout, speakers, electronics, etc.

No need to rush.
agreed....just my opinion but i think you’re way overspending on amps and processors. you’d get a big improvement changing out your speakers instead with that amount $$$$.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
agreed....just my opinion but i think you’re way overspending on amps and processors. you’d get a big improvement changing out your speakers instead with that amount $$$$.
Well, it depends on the overall picture or grand plan.

I mean if the grand plan is to get some RBH SVT/R towers, Revel Salon2, B&W 802D, KEF Reference Towers, etc., then the ATI AT525NC + ATP-16 seem “normal”. :D

But the AT525NC + ATP-16 combo with some Klipsch speakers might seem a little odd. :D

Zedturbo

Zedturbo

Junior Audioholic
I didn't realize that Klipsch seems to be towards the lower end if the soeaker spectrum until I started talking to people on these forums. I'm not taking it personally by all means, just learning as I go and back in the day, when I first purchased these, they were pretty up there in the HT store where I bought them but apparently that's not the case anymore. I wasn't really considering changing out my speakers anytime soon and maybe it's just that I've grown to think they sound fine being that I've never had anything to compare then too. I feel like especially in the electronics world, you get what you pay for and by me looking at those amps and processors, I figured I would be set for a really long time and could potentially upgrade speakers later if I really felt the need.I'm not super comfortable with the idea of spending over $4,000 just on two pieces of equipment but I also don't want to just buy something to get me by until the big day comes. I'm just soaking in all the feedback from everybody here and trying to make a smart decision.

Zedturbo

Zedturbo

Junior Audioholic
Well, it depends on the overall picture or grand plan.

I mean if the grand plan is to get some RBH SVT/R towers, Revel Salon2, B&W 802D, KEF Reference Towers, etc., then the ATI AT525NC + ATP-16 seem “normal”. :D

But the AT525NC + ATP-16 combo with some Klipsch speakers might seem a little odd. :D
Help me understand what the deal is with the Klipsch speakers not really being liked all that much? Believe me, I'm not taking offense, just trying to educate myself. I never really thought there was anything wrong with them myself but what do I know LOL

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I think the easiest thing to consider is that Klipsch is known to fudge some of their spec. Specifically the sensitivity. IIRC, Shady's review just a sew weeks back tested out at 92dB instead of the reported 96 or 97dB. Not shabby... no reason to lie about it!
They've been labeled as sounding great for Rock and HT, but not much else... Again Shady's review was pretty good. Perhaps they color the sound a bit because of their brightness. My understanding is that Klipsch modified their tweeters to be less bright and to blend better, and it seems to show in the newer gear.
So its not really, now, that "Klipsch is just bad," its that they are doing some things right.

For myself, being into critical Music listening with a hint of HT thrown in, I know Klipsch aren't for me. Our friend Danzilla LOVES his new Klipsch rig. And its all good!

I think for yourself... and really anybody that is considering a change to their system, you have to start by defining your goals: What do you want your rig to be? Music or HT? If any music... do you listen Critically, or passive? (Is MUSIC what makes the world turn for you, or is it just aural decoration? ;) )
Then consider how big your room is? Your listening habits? How far do you sit from your speakers and how loud do you want to listen? How much are you willing to spend?

Anyway... If you want to improve Sound Quality, then you replace speakers. If you like your speakers and you want them to play louder, you buy a good amp that will power them appropriately. If you want to have the latest connectivity and video capabilities, you buy an AVR or Pre-Pro that matches your needs.

If you've got most dialed in, but you feel you lacking something down low... then subs are where you look. Unlike above, room volume is more important for subs rather than distance from.

Regardless, if you like your speakers, then be happy with them. If you think you want something more out of your audio experience, then consider changing up. :)

If you haven't heard accurate speakers, go find some to listen to. Just to have the experience.

Cheers!

Zedturbo

Zedturbo

Junior Audioholic
I think the easiest thing to consider is that Klipsch is known to fudge some of their spec. Specifically the sensitivity. IIRC, Shady's review just a sew weeks back tested out at 92dB instead of the reported 96 or 97dB. Not shabby... no reason to lie about it!
They've been labeled as sounding great for Rock and HT, but not much else... Again Shady's review was pretty good. Perhaps they color the sound a bit because of their brightness. My understanding is that Klipsch modified their tweeters to be less bright and to blend better, and it seems to show in the newer gear.
So its not really, now, that "Klipsch is just bad," its that they are doing some things right.

For myself, being into critical Music listening with a hint of HT thrown in, I know Klipsch aren't for me. Our friend Danzilla LOVES his new Klipsch rig. And its all good!

I think for yourself... and really anybody that is considering a change to their system, you have to start by defining your goals: What do you want your rig to be? Music or HT? If any music... do you listen Critically, or passive? (Is MUSIC what makes the world turn for you, or is it just aural decoration? ;) )
Then consider how big your room is? Your listening habits? How far do you sit from your speakers and how loud do you want to listen? How much are you willing to spend?

Anyway... If you want to improve Sound Quality, then you replace speakers. If you like your speakers and you want them to play louder, you buy a good amp that will power them appropriately. If you want to have the latest connectivity and video capabilities, you buy an AVR or Pre-Pro that matches your needs.

If you've got most dialed in, but you feel you lacking something down low... then subs are where you look. Unlike above, room volume is more important for subs rather than distance from.

Regardless, if you like your speakers, then be happy with them. If you think you want something more out of your audio experience, then consider changing up. :)

If you haven't heard accurate speakers, go find some to listen to. Just to have the experience.

Cheers!
I appreciate that answer and explanation. To answer a few of those questions though...I'm running the reference 1 series. I usually is my system for mostly t.v. and movies, then occasionally passively listen to music as I'm doing things around the house. I'm not the kind of music listener that pics the song apart and analysis all the different options instruments. Just want to rock out when I feel like it and want it to sound clean, clear, and decently loud. I want to enjoy surround sounds movies as good as I can while only using a 5.1 due to my living room size not being able to add more speakers. My living room has vaulted ceilings and a large opening behind me going into the kitchen and a large opening on the right side of me going into the hallway so I don't have the ideal home theater space but do have a lot of space to fill with audio.

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
A quality amp like the ati should do a great job for many many years so spending a bit on that can be a good investment. A processor/reciever can last a good while also but the AV industry likes to do something new every now and then so they usually end up getting replaced a lot more frequently then a power amp. A 7705 or a comparable Yamaha or a nice upper midrange reciever with pre outs should work well for you if you want to save a little money. It might be a good idea to get one with 2 separatly managed sub outputs also, not all recievers with 2 sub outs are separatly managed so make sure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

M

Madhuski

Audioholic
Help me understand what the deal is with the Klipsch speakers not really being liked all that much? Believe me, I'm not taking offense, just trying to educate myself. I never really thought there was anything wrong with them myself but what do I know LOL
Not anything specific to klipsch, but in general you’d want to put more of your budget into the speakers than the electronics. Powering $2000 worth of speakers with $4000 of electronics is the opposite of what most do.

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Not anything specific to klipsch, but in general you’d want to put more of your budget into the speakers than the electronics. Powering $2000 worth of speakers with $4000 of electronics is the opposite of what most do.
Its true most do the opposite but good electronics can get inexpensive speakers to play very well and give him the option of a very nice upgrade path later on when he has had time to find out what he likes in a speaker. Its expensive to change speakers a lot before knowing what you like. Electronics like he is considering is a lot more ‘safe’.

M

Madhuski

Audioholic
Its true most do the opposite but good electronics can get inexpensive speakers to play very well and give him the option of a very nice upgrade path later on when he has had time to find out what he likes in a speaker. Its expensive to change speakers a lot before knowing what you like. Electronics like he is considering is a lot more ‘safe’.

again, just my .02 but I think electronics sound more alike than not. I don’t think he’d notice a big difference going from an AVR to the ATI/8805 combo. Unless there is room connection/feature/clipping issue, changing up the front end isn’t going to drastically alter the sound of the speakers

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis