Marantz av7705 or av8805?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I currently have a Yamaha RX-V1800 and Klipsch Reference series RF-82 dual 8" towers for front, RC-62 center, RS-52 rears and RSW-10 sub(which will be upgraded sooner than later) Stepping up to the 4k world and bought a Sony 75" 900F and want to modernize the HT electronics.
The Klipsch speakers don't need much power. Why do you think you need more power?

Zedturbo

Zedturbo

Junior Audioholic
The Klipsch speakers don't need much power. Why do you think you need more power?
I don't feel like I "need" more power. The reason for the upgrade is so I can have 4k connections and with my Yamaha, it's outdated when it comes to that. The speakers get plenty loud with what I have now but if I'm going to modernize the electronics, I might as well upgrade the power as well if I have a chance to. I might upgrade speakers at a later date and from the research I've already done, I don't think I'll ever outgrow the ATI unless I need more channels and if that's ever the case, I can piggyback another ATI when needed.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I don't think I'll ever outgrow the ATI...
I do agree with that. :D

It should power just about any speaker.

I used to own the ATI 60 WPC amp. I used it to power my Revel Salon2 speakers (12 ft distance) to very loud volume. So I am sure an ATI 200WPC amp will power just about any speaker in most cases.

Zedturbo

Zedturbo

Junior Audioholic
I do agree with that. :D

It should power just about any speaker.

I used to own the ATI 60 WPC amp. I used it to power my Revel Salon2 speakers (12 ft distance) to very loud volume. So I am sure an ATI 200WPC amp will power just about any speaker in most cases.
That's what I was thinking. Not that I'm going to listen at deafening levels but want the headroom. Now about the processor.....lol

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
That's what I was thinking. Not that I'm going to listen at deafening levels but want the headroom. Now about the processor.....lol
The pre-pro or AVP is more elusive since technology changes: DD to TrueHD to Atmos to Atmos-X? 480p to 1080p to 4K to 8K?

So you don't want to spend too much money on the AVP since you might be replacing it in 6 years.

Bottom line, you are moving toward separates - away from AVR.

So you are thinking high-end ATI amp + AVP and high-end speakers down the line.

Street price on the AV7705 vs. CX-A5200 is pretty close. The CX-A5200 is much better built IMO.

The CX-A5200 is Yamaha's Flagship product, built like a Flagship.

So I think it comes down to being willing to spend about TWICE as much on the AV8805 vs the CX-A5200. Sound quality on the AV8805 will not be any better if we are talking about pure signal and no EQ/DSP.

Zedturbo

Zedturbo

Junior Audioholic
The pre-pro or AVP is more elusive since technology changes: DD to TrueHD to Atmos to Atmos-X? 480p to 1080p to 4K to 8K?

So you don't want to spend too much money on the AVP since you might be replacing it in 6 years.

Bottom line, you are moving toward separates - away from AVR.

So you are thinking high-end ATI amp + AVP and high-end speakers down the line.

Street price on the AV7705 vs. CX-A5200 is pretty close. The CX-A5200 is much better built IMO.

The CX-A5200 is Yamaha's Flagship product, built like a Flagship.

So I think it comes down to being willing to spend about TWICE as much on the AV8805 vs the CX-A5200. Sound quality on the AV8805 will not be any better if we are talking about pure signal and no EQ/DSP.
I've always loved Yamaha and have never had a problem with reliability with Yamaha as well. Now, the only reason I considered the Marantz is because I have a personal friend that can give be unbelievable pricing on Marantz but not Yamaha. W/o getting anyone in trouble or "stirring the pot" he quoted me the AV8805 just a few hundred above the full retail price of a CX-A5200 and the AV7705 at a bit over $1k less than full retail of Yamaha so that's why I'm torn due to price. Confused yet? lol

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I've always loved Yamaha and have never had a problem with reliability with Yamaha as well. Now, the only reason I considered the Marantz is because I have a personal friend that can give be unbelievable pricing on Marantz but not Yamaha. W/o getting anyone in trouble or "stirring the pot" he quoted me the AV8805 just a few hundred above the full retail price of a CX-A5200 and the AV7705 at a bit over $1k less than full retail of Yamaha so that's why I'm torn due to price. Confused yet? lol
So approximately $3K for a Marantz AV8805?

Keep in mind the upcoming Monolith HTP-1 (based on the $10K ATI/DataSat LS10) is $4K when it is released.

Hmm.... The Monolith AVP is built by ATI.... Wait, your new amp will be an ATI amp... :D

What if.....Just what if the upcoming ATI ATP-16 is a modular-design that will allow you to upgrade the Video and Audio Circuit Boards in 6 or 10 years to 8K video and Dolby Atmos-X? :D

Zedturbo

Zedturbo

Junior Audioholic
So approximately $3K for a Marantz AV8805?

Keep in mind the upcoming Monolith HTP-1 (based on the $10K ATI/DataSat LS10) is $4K when it is released.

Hmm.... The Monolith AVP is built by ATI.... Wait, your new amp will be an ATI amp... :D

What if.....Just what if the upcoming ATI ATP-16 is a modular-design that will allow you to upgrade the Video and Audio Circuit Boards in 6 or 10 years to 8K video and Dolby Atmos-X? :D
I like that! Yes, AV8805, almost $3k. AV7705 $1500. Not sure I can spend $4k on a processor though...It's painful enough thinking I'd even spend the $3k!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I like that! Yes, AV8805, almost $3k. AV7705 $1500. Not sure I can spend $4k on a processor though...It's painful enough thinking I'd even spend the $3k!
Yeah, I feel more comfortable keeping the AVP around $1.5K.

You could spend $1.5K on the AVP to HOLD you over a few years until you've saved up enough money in your HT piggy bank for the ONE TRUE AVP (Hint: ATI AVP to match your ATI amp :D).

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Those are great prices if new in seal box and with full factory warranty. If I remember right, Denon/Marantz promised HDMI 2.1 hardware upgrade option (for a fee) for their flagship AVR/AVP, that is, only the AVR-X8500H and AV8805. So for that kind of price you do get additional future proof, aside from 13 channel processing, relative to the CX-A5200 (not sure if they promised similar upgrade, may be @AcuDefTechGuy can confirm that).

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
That 7705 is super hot at that price point! New, full warranty, I presume?

Zedturbo

Zedturbo

Junior Audioholic
Yeah, I feel more comfortable keeping the AVP around $1.5K.

You could spend $1.5K on the AVP to HOLD you over a few years until you've saved up enough money in your HT piggy bank for the ONE TRUE AVP (Hint: ATI AVP to match your ATI amp :D).
Do you know when that ATI processor will be released?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Those are great prices if new in seal box and with full factory warranty. If I remember right, Denon/Marantz promised HDMI 2.1 hardware upgrade option (for a fee) for their flagship AVR/AVP, that is, only the AVR-X8500H and AV8805. So for that kind of price you do get additional future proof, aside from 13 channel processing, relative to the CX-A5200 (not sure if they promised similar upgrade, may be @AcuDefTechGuy can confirm that).
Well, @M Code would be the person with all the inside info. :D

I haven't seen anything relating to that from Yamaha in my dealer emails.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Do you know when that ATI processor will be released?
I was told by my source at ATI that the ATI ATP-16 should be released this year. But no real dates.

I think the best course is to get something around 1.5K and start putting money into your HT Piggy bank. :D

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
That 7705 is super hot at that price point! New, full warranty, I presume?
Agreed, I thought I would "never" go back to prepro, but such great price ever become available in Canada, I would be very tempted..

Zedturbo

Zedturbo

Junior Audioholic
I would still have to pay for the HDMI upgrade when that time comes. I don't think I'll ever use the 13 channel processing but understand that the 8805 is built "better" with a batter DAC and all copper chassis but again, will the Average ears ever notice a difference? Even at the heavily discounted prices, is it worth paying double to get the those features?? I'm all for the idea of "Getting what you par for" but if it's not stuff I would use, I can use that money to buy a bad ass sub.

Zedturbo

Zedturbo

Junior Audioholic
Agreed, I thought I would "never" go back to prepro, but such great price ever become available in Canada, I would be very tempted..
I've never considered separates either until these discounts became available to me

Zedturbo

Zedturbo

Junior Audioholic
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis