Marantz AV 10 15.4CH AV Processor Bench Test Results!

M

Mark M

Junior Audioholic
Marantz. Monoprice makes low cost cables and branched into AV equipment without the experienced infrastructure to remedy the bugs and complaints.
Would the AV10 be as good as Parasound P6 for 2 channel?

P

Paul McNeil

Audioholic
That all do their job to produce results in terms of smooth, flat responses, Dirac Live is not necessarily better in that sense, but it does produce visibly better impulse response graphs, and consistent results after customizing the target curves. One just have to know how to do it, like clicking the right place on the UI at the right time. Mult EQ X, or even the $20 app is a little easier but Dirac is still better even for that, it only gets a little tricky if you use the bass control features and that's when I found clicking in the right place at the right time becomes an issue. To be clear, I have no experience with the AVR/AVP versions, though I would suspect the UI should work the same of very similar to the PC standalone version, that I have a lot of experience with.

If you have something that runs DL, don't give up, it really isn't a problem child as such, the extra attention required is just learning how to use it, and do not hesitate to contact their tech support, they will get back to you and help you with solutions, but at times it may take a few days, other times same or next day response. It is always best to attach screen shots to help clarify your issue(s).

I posted REW graphs many times on this forum, so my assessment on the effectiveness of smoothing the in-room responses in order of DLBC > Audyssey MultEQ editor app (with Ratbuddyssey) > ARC Genesis is based on REW/Umik-1 mic measurements, not subjective measurements.

DL is also the easiest, for customization, but gets slightly tricky in one wants to use the bass control, yeah, ouch it costs $350 for the license so users should spend the time to learn how to do it right.
I previously posted on my experience of Audyssey (with app) and Dirac Live with Bass Control running on a Marantz AV10. I took REW measurements which confirmed what I heard, namely the Dirac was far better with equalization of the bass than Audyssey. Subjectively, Dirac brought music alive in a way that Audyssey never got close to, and movie sound, especially through a BluRay disc, is to die for. Please see this thread if interested https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/dirac-is-my-choice-on-the-marantz-av10.128717/

I did find that Dirac has a steeper learning curve and had a few initial glitches with MacBook running Dirac and the AV10 but a hard reset (unplug of the Marantz) fixed that problem which, now a month or two later, has not recurred.

Hope this is helpful.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I previously posted on my experience of Audyssey (with app) and Dirac Live with Bass Control running on a Marantz AV10. I took REW measurements which confirmed what I heard, namely the Dirac was far better with equalization of the bass than Audyssey. Subjectively, Dirac brought music alive in a way that Audyssey never got close to, and movie sound, especially through a BluRay disc, is to die for. Please see this thread if interested https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/dirac-is-my-choice-on-the-marantz-av10.128717/
https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/dirac-is-my-choice-on-the-marantz-av10.128717/

We have had lengthy discussions on this topic, at the end of the day, what you heard or what I heard are largely subjective, as you said. It really means not too much for others, so I think the only objective way to compare the two is by measurements. So, in my opinion, it would be great if more people post their REW measurements, or similar, and we have done out part so far.

P

Paul McNeil

Audioholic
https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/dirac-is-my-choice-on-the-marantz-av10.128717/

We have had lengthy discussions on this topic, at the end of the day, what you heard or what I heard are largely subjective, as you said. It really means not too much for others, so I think the only objective way to compare the two is by measurements. So, in my opinion, it would be great if more people post their REW measurements, or similar, and we have done out part so far.
Yep, we're in agreement on that but I thought some of the readers here might be interested in that post, maybe I should have responded to ryanosaur...

P

Paul McNeil

Audioholic
I had problems with the Dirac implementation on the AV 10 when I tried to set it up. Even Matt Poes was here and we couldn't get it dialed in right. I will have to revisit this AFTER I sort out the Dirac ART issues in my theater room. As Khan said to Kirk in STWOK "Time is a luxury I don't have". :(
I also had a few problems, the biggest with communication between my MacBook and the AV10 while loading Dirac curves. The smallest forgetting to hit the calculate button (a must to complete the Bass Control equalization process). To fix the communication problem, I unplugged the AV10, fired it back up, and haven't had any problems since.

P

Paul McNeil

Audioholic
I also had a few problems, the biggest with communication between my MacBook and the AV10 while loading Dirac curves. The smallest forgetting to hit the calculate button (a must to complete the Bass Control equalization process). To fix the communication problem, I unplugged the AV10, fired it back up, and haven't had any problems since.
[/QUOTE

And here is the REW...with one adjustment, the bass down 5 db...

1722369508618.png

Last edited:
M

multisport4me

Audioholic
Marantz. Monoprice makes low cost cables and branched into AV equipment without the experienced infrastructure to remedy the bugs and complaints.
1,000 amens. Even the product manager is - at best - a "fractional" PM assigned to babysit the HTP-1 and its 3rd party "dev team."

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Just got an email from my Rep that Dirac DLBC (4 Subs) price is dropping Aug 20, 2024 to $299.

1722876575065.png

What’s new?
  1. Reduced Price: Bass Control price will be lowered to $299. This adjustment offers an instant $200 savings over the previous Multi Sub license while providing the same power and functionality.
  2. Unified License: The new "Bass Control" license covers all subwoofer configurations, replacing the previous "Bass Control Single Sub" and "Bass Control Multi Sub" licenses.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Just got an email from my Rep that Dirac DLBC (4 Subs) price is dropping Aug 20, 2024 to $299.

View attachment 68722

What’s new?
  1. Reduced Price: Bass Control price will be lowered to $299. This adjustment offers an instant $200 savings over the previous Multi Sub license while providing the same power and functionality.
  2. Unified License: The new "Bass Control" license covers all subwoofer configurations, replacing the previous "Bass Control Single Sub" and "Bass Control Multi Sub" licenses.
A sensible move as Audyssey XT32 (included already) is quite decent and the price of Dirac is high (at least for me with two subwoofers).

I’m still rocking my 2015 model Denon AVR-X4200W that did not get the app update, but no plans for an upgraded AVR. There’s always the chance of the AVR failing, though, so my interest in Dirac.

Last edited:
P

Paul McNeil

Audioholic

View attachment 68722

What’s new?
Well that's great news for those who haven't made the purchase yet of Dirac Bass Control. But for those of us who paid $499 (multi-subwoofer) just three months ago, this is a little annoying. Are they providing refunds?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well that's great news for those who haven't made the purchase yet of Dirac Bass Control. But for those of us who paid $499 (multi-subwoofer) just three months ago, this is a little annoying. Are they providing refunds?
I doubt they will offer refunds. Their argument would be that 3 months of immense enjoyment could be considered priceless to some people. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis