Marantz AV 10 15.4CH AV Processor Bench Test Results!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Plus it seems there is some serious feature creep in the integrated space now to where they are adding room correction, network streaming, HDMI....basically just two channel receivers. :D. Not that I'm complaining because those are useful things!
Yep, there were never "separate" that some people might have thought they were in the old days when they only include the PS, preamp and power amp. With the things you mentioned, they really are two channel receivers without a tuner lol.. And no, it does not mean that's bad...

M

multisport4me

Junior Audioholic
It will hit rated power with 1 or up to 7CH driven as per my bench tests. It's a very interesting amp. Does great ACD but has no headroom above rated power. I will be discussing this in my test report.
Gene, will the AMP10 review include measurements using BTL mode? I've tried it but prefer using 1 channel per blade. Curious if BTL offers anything other than a nice-to-have higher output power @8ohms ?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Gene, will the AMP10 review include measurements using BTL mode? I've tried it but prefer using 1 channel per blade. Curious if BTL offers anything other than a nice-to-have higher output power @8ohms ?
Yes I tested BTL and don't recommend it IF the nominal impedance of your speakers is 4 ohms.

M

multisport4me

Junior Audioholic
Yes I tested BTL and don't recommend it IF the nominal impedance of your speakers is 4 ohms.
Thanks. My mains are Paradigm Tributes that are supposedly "8ohm compatible." I'm sticking with non-bridged single channel approach for now unless you have some surprises that compel me to try BTL again. ;)

D

dlaloum

Full Audioholic
That's a bad sign for speakers that have impedances dropping to 2 ohm or below... (with this amp)

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
That's a bad sign for speakers that have impedances dropping to 2 ohm or below... (with this amp)
Only in bridged mode and that's the case for most amplifiers when you bridge them.

S

son_of_a_pirate

Audiophyte
Really hope to see / looking forward to a comparison between the AV 10, Storm and Trinnov processors given the similarities and price differences.

Cheers,

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Really hope to see / looking forward to a comparison between the AV 10, Storm and Trinnov processors given the similarities and price differences.

Cheers,
Untill Marantz and others step up to Intel or AMD processors, there will always be some limitations when comparing to the PC based builds. For 13 channels it probably doesn't really matter as much but beyond that and with new RC and PEQ processing, and active crossovers there will be bottlenecks.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Untill Marantz and others step up to Intel or AMD processors, there will always be some limitations when comparing to the PC based builds. For 13 channels it probably doesn't really matter as much but beyond that and with new RC and PEQ processing, and active crossovers there will be bottlenecks.
How can we compare the processing speed of an AVP vs a PC?

Can anyone prove than the Intel i3 CPU used in the Trinnov is much faster than the processors used in the Marantz AV10?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I've been getting numerous requests to test the Filter 1 vs 2 settings for Fs = 44.1kHz (CD sampling). As a result, I set up the test to compare.

Filter 1 - Marantz "audiophile" sound tuning recommended for music listening
Filter 2 - Bench Test mode, designed to look better on the test bench for those that listen with their meters, LOL

AV10-DAC-freq.jpg

You can see Filter 1 has a -3dB roll off at 20kHz while the Filter 2 setting is flat to 20kHz. Filter 2 is a much sharper rolloff after Nyquist.

AV10-DAC-noise.jpg

Interestingly both Filter 1 and Filter 2 have very good stop band attenuation with Filter 1 allowing more out of band noise up until 35kHz.

I will try to do some listening test comparisons once everything is installed.

M

multisport4me

Junior Audioholic
Will be interested to see if you hear a difference. You have a much better setup than mine. Ironically, I rolloff the top end anyway with Dirac because the Paradigm Tribute speakers are a bit "crispy" up top....plus I'm old. However, I prefer the cleanest/purest signal before doing that so I like filter 2 - I'll muck up the signal with the vast many tools Marantz provides me to muck it up sans being pre-mucked up, thank you. :) But I'm betting 99% of folks could not tell the diff between the two in a blind test. Then again, we're talking DACs here so I suppose its not mucking anything up other than bench tests since the filter occurs after any DSP processing.

Last edited:
M

multisport4me

Junior Audioholic
I've been getting numerous requests to test the Filter 1 vs 2 settings for Fs = 44.1kHz (CD sampling). As a result, I set up the test to compare.

Filter 1 - Marantz "audiophile" sound tuning recommended for music listening
Filter 2 - Bench Test mode, designed to look better on the test bench for those that listen with their meters, LOL

View attachment 61761

You can see Filter 1 has a -3dB roll off at 20kHz while the Filter 2 setting is flat to 20kHz. Filter 2 is a much sharper rolloff after Nyquist.

View attachment 61762

Interestingly both Filter 1 and Filter 2 have very good stop band attenuation with Filter 1 allowing more out of band noise up until 35kHz.

I will try to do some listening test comparisons once everything is installed.
Any updates on your listening test, Gene? And is AMP10 review coming soon?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
But I'm betting 99% of folks could not tell the diff between the two in a blind test. Then again, we're talking DACs here so I suppose its not mucking anything up other than bench tests since the filter occurs after any DSP processing.
Bump that up to 99.9% in double blind test if done properly and the trained listeners are male and older than 40.;) That's if you are talking about the "two dac filter".

What Is Normal Hearing | The Hearing Review

1683551529693.png

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
DAC Filter 1 = Tube Amp Warm Sound :D
DAC Filter 2 = Bench Test Solid State Sound. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Any update on the AMP10 review, Gene?
Just like the AV10, Marantz has already measured the AMP10.

I think Gene’s measurements are even more detailed, but THD+N should be around 0.001% and Power Output should be 200W x 7 Ch driven into 8-ohms. Not sure if anyone is able to measure all 16CH driven. :D

D

dlaloum

Full Audioholic
Just like the AV10, Marantz has already measured the AMP10.

I think Gene’s measurements are even more detailed, but THD+N should be around 0.001% and Power Output should be 200W x 7 Ch driven into 8-ohms. Not sure if anyone is able to measure all 16CH driven. :D
Published spec is:
Power Output (8 ohm, 1 kHz, 0.05% 2ch Drive) Normal / BTL200W / 400W
Power Output (4 ohm, 1 kHz, 0.7% 2ch Drive) Normal400W
Power Output (8 ohm, 1 kHz, 0.7% 5ch Drive) Normal200W

Where have they published test results? (or were they all in videos?)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Published spec is:
Power Output (8 ohm, 1 kHz, 0.05% 2ch Drive) Normal / BTL200W / 400W
Power Output (4 ohm, 1 kHz, 0.7% 2ch Drive) Normal400W
Power Output (8 ohm, 1 kHz, 0.7% 5ch Drive) Normal200W

Where have they published test results? (or were they all in videos?)
Same video as the AV10.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis