Marantz AV 10 15.4CH AV Processor Bench Test Results!

Tankini

Tankini

Senior Audioholic
(If you keep it up we will give you something as a show of gratitude

@AcuDefTechGuy will give you the cow that lives on his front lawn)

@Danzilla31 You may be giving ADTG a little to much credit, forgoes his generosity. There is a Nordic side to one's generosity through.

;)

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
"...there was once a rumor that the AV10 may be Roon Ready certified in the next firmware."

So, Marantz AV10 isn't Roon (Room) certified at release for consumers? Over on Genes, Yamaha thread, many we're bashing Yamaha for releasing a product not yet ready.. "Beta"
Be happy you can at least use it now. People who spent the same amount of money on Anthem's are still waiting.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
@AcuDefTechGuy will give you the cow that lives on his front lawn)

;)
I doubt that, I have a rich (sort of) brother who once told me, it is much easier to make money from/on poorer people, but infinitely difficult from/on rich people. Based on my experience so far, I have to agree with him.

ban25

ban25

Audioholic
Be happy you can at least use it now. People who spent the same amount of money on Anthem's are still waiting.
FWIW, D+M has never announced Roon support and I have never seen a rumor of such prior to this thread. Any such rumor is surely random speculation on the internet, for all that's worth. :D

I bought the Integra DRX-8.4 because it was promised to be Roon Ready. It even has the logo silkscreened on the back. I'm still waiting. Not as bad as Anthem users who have been waiting 4 years, but not happy about it either way. :mad:

Last edited:
Tankini

Tankini

Senior Audioholic
I doubt that, I have a rich (sort of) brother who once told me, it is much easier to make money from/on poorer people, but infinitely difficult from/on rich people. Based on my experience so far, I have to agree with him.
Your brother is absolutely correct in his statement. Rich never give anything that's not in their interest. He can add this to his tombstone. "Give to Caesar what is Caesars". :)

Interest ;)

Last edited:
ban25

ban25

Audioholic
FWIW, D+M has never announced Roon support and I have never seen a rumor of such prior to this thread. Any such rumor is surely random speculation on the internet, for all that's worth. :D

I bought the Integra DRX-8.4 because it was promised to be Roon Ready. It even has the logo silkscreened on the back. I'm still waiting. Not as bad as Anthem users who have been waiting 4 years, but not happy about it either way. :mad:
I retract my previous statement. Within an hour of posting this, PAC has gone live with their Roon Ready firmware update for the DRX-8.4 and its Onkyo/Pioneer siblings. As we speak I am listening to lossless 24/192 on Roon and very happy!

1701723127935.png

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Much appreciated on your compliments. The 5805 deserved that level of coverage. I absolutely adored that machine for many years. It took me a couple of months to write up that review and double check my measurements and get the interview stuff organized and finally fact checked by Denon. I wish I could spend that much time on a product today but I'm wearing too many hats trying to run this business. I'd welcome a local EE to come and help with measurement reports but that's be a difficult thing to find.

I doubt the AV10 has an analog direct with bass management option but I did send this question to the Marantz engineer so I will follow up here if he answers. I didn't bother to check that bc almost nobody would use this gear like that. As for Dirac, I don't believe it's currently implemented correctly on the Denon/Marantz products. It could NOT nail the channel delays on my mains or subs and I ran it 3 separate times. I admittedly didn't pursue this topic hard enough with D&M due to time constraints and the fact I achieved really good results with Audyssey MultEQ XT w PC. I will revist once D&M gets a Dirac upgrade, hopefully to ART in the future....
So I guess I won't be spending $250-$350 for the Dirac update for my 4800h when I get around to installing it.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
So I guess I won't be spending $250-$350 for the Dirac update for my 4800h when I get around to installing it.
I would suggest you do, to take advantage of the 30% discount that I believe ends tomorrow(not 100% sure). Gene clarified that it was just the delay that he couldn't nail down with DL. I am not sure if he referred to DLBC that I thought is soon to be release but not yet. If it isn't about DLBC, then I would say you might like the sound quality of using DL for stereo music listening.

That's just based on my own experience and it is subjective.

On the objective side (REW graphs), I would say if you don't tweak anything, the default result of DL shows a clearly smoother frequency response curve than the default Audyssey curve for full range.

If I limit the range to below 500 Hz, then I found DL's response is still smoother than Audyssey's but Audyssey's could do a clearly visible shallower dips, even room mode related dips. DL seems to leave those narrow dips alone whereas Audyssey would try to fix such dips. On that, I doubt I could hear the difference, as experts often said, those narrow ones won't affect sound quality anyway.

Go for it! DL seems to offer 30% discount a couple times a year only.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I would suggest you do, to take advantage of the 30% discount that I believe ends tomorrow(not 100% sure). Gene clarified that it was just the delay that he couldn't nail down with DL. I am not sure if he referred to DLBC that I thought is soon to be release but not yet. If it isn't about DLBC, then I would say you might like the sound quality of using DL for stereo music listening.

That's just based on my own experience and it is subjective.

On the objective side (REW graphs), I would say if you don't tweak anything, the default result of DL shows a clearly smoother frequency response curve than the default Audyssey curve for full range.

If I limit the range to below 500 Hz, then I found DL's response is still smoother than Audyssey's but Audyssey's could do a clearly visible shallower dips, even room mode related dips. DL seems to leave those narrow dips alone whereas Audyssey would try to fix such dips. On that, I doubt I could hear the difference, as experts often said, those narrow ones won't affect sound quality anyway.

Go for it! DL seems to offer 30% discount a couple times a year only.
I looked at the price yesterday and didn't see any discounts. I bought the 4800 with the intent on upgrading to DL, so thanks for the info.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I looked at the price yesterday and didn't see any discounts. I bought the 4800 with the intent on upgrading to DL, so thanks for the info.
Sorry, I got mixed up with dates, it was ended Nov 26. Time flies I thought I just bought my DLBC license just last week but it was last Sunday.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Sorry, I got mixed up with dates, it was ended Nov 26. Time flies I thought I just bought my DLBC license just last week but it was last Sunday.
No worries. I'll see how Audyssey does first, then go from there. I can always manually tweak with Ratbuddyssey or whatever it's called.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
No worries. I'll see how Audyssey does first, then go from there. I can always manually tweak with Ratbuddyssey or whatever it's called.
That's what it is call. Yes, that can work well too.

M

multisport4me

Audioholic
Rumor on avsforum is that Marantz will drop firmware for AV10 DLBC tomorrow and that they will honor the 30% Back Fridays sale. Not sure if that is an early April's fools joke....but I'm hopeful it drops. That was the one thing I really liked about the HTP-1 (DLBC) and I miss having it.

M

multisport4me

Audioholic
Rumor on avsforum is that Marantz will drop firmware for AV10 DLBC tomorrow and that they will honor the 30% Back Fridays sale. Not sure if that is an early April's fools joke....but I'm hopeful it drops. That was the one thing I really liked about the HTP-1 (DLBC) and I miss having it.
Still no DLBC.

Note to self: Do not go to Vegas and bet my life savings. Clearly my prognosticating is not very good. Serves me right for believing a rumor and spreading it.

N

Nondemo01

Junior Audioholic
Hello Gene, we always trust you as we know you have a contact in their technical group, in additional to of course their marketing team such as Phil Jones at Masimo, formally Sound United, and the fact that you are an EE with many years in audio/video electronics certainly helps reinforcing your credibility/authority in the technical matters related to audio/video. There is no need for you to get confirmation from the engineering group in D+M in this case, but thank you very much for doing it regardless, it just show how open minded you are, and that's reassuring for those who come to this site for answers to technical enquiries such as this analog bypass thing.

Now I do have a question for you, one of the reasons that I found often cited on forums, including AVSF and ASR, for people to doubt the D+M's analog bypass feature is, they wonder why then when put in direct mode, using analog inputs, they could see that limited bass management, that is, speaker small, distances, crossovers still seem to be in effect, yet Audyssey would, expectedly, by disabled.

I questioned him on that with my follow up:

and got the following response:

I then went back to your review on the AVR-5805 because you said something there, and found your comments as follow, under the preamp analysis section:

Denon AVR-5805 AV Receiver Review | Audioholics

So, my question is, are the current D+M models implementing the same technique and that's the reason why the basic bass management is preserved even in direct mode when using the stereo analog inputs? Could you get an answer from your contact in engineering? I don't know how you would frame your question to get them to give you the answer, but they should know that this unusual feature of preserving some bass management in direct mode/analog input is confusing even the technically savvy D+M users!

By the way, Gene, every time I read your review on the AVR-5800 I couldn't help but say to myself, this is not a review, it is a book on the most expensive and heaviest Denon AVR, or AVR ever made, including the Yamaha RX-Z9, complete with editorial, notes, bench test results and analysis into some important technical details.

I have to ask, how long did it take you to complete the review of the AVR-5805. I couldn't believe you even included an Q&A session with Chris Kyriakakis. That also reveal another internet hearsay that claimed Audyssey only deal with magnitude correction, below is that part of the Q&A:

Audioholics: How is this system different than others on the market that typically use a variable PEQ?
Chris: There are two fundamental differences:

(i) MultEQ is not a parametric method that uses IIR filters for a number of bands. Instead it uses FIR filters. The advantage is that this allows both time and frequency domain correction, whereas IIR-based PEQ methods can only correct the magnitude response

For those who don't want to pay for the DL licenses yet, should feel a little better, knowing that Audyssey does deal with the time domain/impulse response, since day 1!!

In my opinion, all serious audioholics, at least those interested in objective measurements, should read the AVR-5805 review, at least twice because there are too many details that require serious thinking to understand and interpret the test results, even with Gene's helpful explanation notes.

I have never seen such a detailed review by anyone else, not JA, not Amir.

Lastly, given your contribution to D+M over the years, why not ask them for a AVR-A1H and do what you did with the AVR-5805, that is, if you can still afford to spend so much to do such a review. If that happens, you probably should include an interview with Dirac Live's Dr. Johansson, not Audyssey this time.;)

Thanks again for such an incredible review/analysis.

So, let me post the link again:
It is a 1 to 2 hours reading though, or longer, depending on how technically oriented the reader is.

Denon AVR-5805 AV Receiver Review | Audioholics
I'd just like to give Gene some LOVE for his reviews. For whatever reason, many forums will question the results of the testing done outside of certain websites as "not credible" because some sell ad space. Ridiculous. I'm nearly certain the reason the AV10 performs so well and has so many long desired features for a D&M product is due to Gene. So, thanks Gene!

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I'd just like to give Gene some LOVE for his reviews. For whatever reason, many forums will question the results of the testing done outside of certain websites as "not credible" because some sell ad space. Ridiculous. I'm nearly certain the reason the AV10 performs so well and has so many long desired features for a D&M product is due to Gene. So, thanks Gene!
Much appreciated. I always post my full test results good or bad. But I always send to the manufacturer in advance to make sure they are aware of my findings and hopefully can replicate them. Wait till you see my Arcam A25 test report. It has some warts that are in the report despite they are an advertiser. That doesn't change my analysis.

N

Nondemo01

Junior Audioholic
Much appreciated. I always post my full test results good or bad. But I always send to the manufacturer in advance to make sure they are aware of my findings and hopefully can replicate them. Wait till you see my Arcam A25 test report. It has some warts that are in the report despite they are an advertiser. That doesn't change my analysis.
You're welcome. That's so odd. Aren't they owned by Harman? I was considering their AVPs but then read about the less than positive user experiences. Disappointing. I REALLY think there is a "sweet spot" at that $3K-$6K range that these companies could really inject some "love". Right now, it's Emotiva and Monoprice and each dealing with some growing pains. (Although to be fair, seem to be working and loved by their owners of late.)

Thanks again Gene! Look forward to the review and future discussions!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
You're welcome. That's so odd. Aren't they owned by Harman? I was considering their AVPs but then read about the less than positive user experiences. Disappointing. I REALLY think there is a "sweet spot" at that $3K-$6K range that these companies could really inject some "love". Right now, it's Emotiva and Monoprice and each dealing with some growing pains. (Although to be fair, seem to be working and loved by their owners of late.)

Thanks again Gene! Look forward to the review and future discussions!
That's why they must be tested, and preferable by competent engineers and scientists experienced in audio/video electronics such as Gene and Amir. At times, we do see some exchanges between the two EEs but by what's going on in this world, such exchanges were technically oriented, anything other than that, when happened were very civil and kept to minimum. JA of stereophile, not an EE, but he obviously (to me anyway) is highly competent in what he's been doing for many years, though I much prefer Gene and Amir who never seem to sugar coat anything lol..

In my opinion, sighted reviews are valuable though the subjective part of the contents need to be taken with a grain of salt. Given that it is very difficult to choose an AVP or AVR by ears, I feel the best way is actually to don't trust our ears (because they could be affected/skewed by external influence very easily), but go with specs and measurements, if no measurement is available then one needs to look through the specs in details and asked questions if their are any doubt or if the specs are not clear. So, in that sense, Gene and Amir are doing the AV communities a lot of good. The tests must continue!!

L

Ljutic

Enthusiast
Just buy a receiver and call it a day. Not worth spending that kind of money.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis