Marantz AV 10 15.4CH AV Processor Bench Test Results!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The nice thing about that is you can always tweak those 2 issues manually after the room correction does it's thing. That's what I did when I was using Audyssey
You don’t manually do that after Dirac?

IOW, doesn’t Dirac keep the trim levels of speakers and subs to 75dB and bass EQ flat like Audyssey?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

IOW, doesn’t Dirac keep the trim levels of speakers and subs to 75dB and bass EQ flat like Audyssey?
I haven't started messing with Dirac yet on the HTP-1 right now I'm learning and in a week or two going to install some transducers. I can take advantage of the 5th sub out on the HTP-1 and use its bass management to do this.

And then Im learned how to play with the BEQ feature for recapturing missing low bass content on movies on the custom web UI. I probably wont get into Dirac until ART comes out for the HTP-1. But you are correct tho. You do manually retweak after Dirac does it's thing. I think most people who have REW and are comfortable with making changes usually do that.with any room correction program

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

It used to be quite flat too but now they let you choose a relatively flat curve and a tiled one. If you don't like those two default curves, then of course you have to do your own.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It used to be quite flat too but now they let you choose a relatively flat curve and a tiled one. If you don't like those two default curves, then of course you have to do your own.
What's a tiled curve?

They all need to have that Audyssey Dynamic EQ curve as an option ! We want some hot bass! :D

When I was using Denon, I always used that Audyssey DEQ. But with Yamaha, I had to manually change the Yamaha Subwoofer EQ setting for the subs.

D

dlaloum

Full Audioholic
What's a tiled curve?

They all need to have that Audyssey Dynamic EQ curve as an option ! We want some hot bass! :D

When I was using Denon, I always used that Audyssey DEQ. But with Yamaha, I had to manually change the Yamaha Subwoofer EQ setting for the subs.
Dynamic EQ doesn't really have a curve, it is a Fletcher-Munson Loudness adjuster, adjusting the levels (and EQ) - based roughly on psychoacoustic listening levels...

Systems without Audyssey, can do the same with Dolby Loudness or THX Loudness - which are provided as options on the respective licences... and up to the AVR manufacturer to choose which ones to implement.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Dynamic EQ doesn't really have a curve, it is a Fletcher-Munson Loudness adjuster, adjusting the levels (and EQ) - based roughly on psychoacoustic listening levels...

Systems without Audyssey, can do the same with Dolby Loudness or THX Loudness - which are provided as options on the respective licences... and up to the AVR manufacturer to choose which ones to implement.
Yeah I know. This is the “curve”. My MV is usually at -30. So I am talking about the curve at -30.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
What's a tiled curve?

Some people called it "Harman curve".

Take a look of the tilt Amir used in his review:
Audyssey Room EQ Review | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

If you had used such a target curve, you might have been happier even without using DEQ. Without using DEQ, and without tilting the default flat curve, I can understand why so many people would not use Audyssey, unless they always crank the volume up to near reference level. With DEQ on, most would have been fine with Audyssey, and using DEQ is the right way even for normal people.

1691761566953.png

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Some people called it "Harman curve".

Take a look of the tilt Amir used in his review:
Audyssey Room EQ Review | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

If you had used such a target curve, you might have been happier even without using DEQ. Without using DEQ, and without tilting the default flat curve, I can understand why so many people would not use Audyssey, unless they always crank the volume up to near reference level. With DEQ on, most would have been fine with Audyssey, and using DEQ is the right way even for normal people.

View attachment 62877
Yeah, that's how I like it. EQ that bass region! :D

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
What do you base your filters on in REW without the measurement?
Measurements from REW and a measurement mic. I take the sweep from within REW then generate the filters.

O

OCA

Enthusiast
Measurements from REW and a measurement mic. I take the sweep from within REW then generate the filters.
For that to work as intended, you have to disable all measurements in MQ-X and import REW filters as target curves for each speaker (which can be done) otherwise, Audyssey will change all these filters according to its measurements and filter logic. It will surely work, but there could be quite major differences.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
For that to work as intended, you have to disable all measurements in MQ-X and import REW filters as target curves for each speaker (which can be done) otherwise, Audyssey will change all these filters according to its measurements and filter logic. It will surely work, but there could be quite major differences.
That's the way I prefer to do it and I'm only eqing below the schroeder frequency of my room and using biquads on sealed subwoofers that don't have any eq applied at all prior.

N

Nondemo01

Junior Audioholic
It's not surprising that the Marantz AV 10 15.4CH 8K AV Processor produced excellent bench test results. This $7K processor has bass management features no other competitor has in this price class such as LFE Bass Routing and Bass Re-distribution. We thoroughly test these features to show you how they work. We also thoroughly explain the measurement results and how they can relate to real world experiences for this product.

View attachment 61648View attachment 61649

With plenty of clean output drive and the ability to run 4 independent subs with so much flexibility of how you configure your bass, the AV 10 is a class leader. Could it be too uncomfortably close in performance to the uber expensive Storm Audio and Trinnov alternatives?

Read: Marantz AV 10 15.4CH 8K Processor Bench Test Results
GREAT REVIEW Gene! Thank you! QUESTION: are you still running the S7ts in BTL mode? What about the center channel? Any issues to date? I am still (shocker) planning my "end-game system" and have decided on the Perlisten R7t, R5c, R4s, and their latest in-ceilings for speakers. Going AV 10 pre/pro but haven't decided on an amp. Really like the ATI AT4007 but if I go with the AMP-10, I can repurpose my Denon to my bedroom and run zones 2 & 3 from the AV 10/AMP 10 combo. (Can I rent the unused channels?!?! Is that a thing? Lol. First world problems indeed!)

Anyway, GREAT REVIEWs, GREAT CONTENT, AND GREAT ADVICE! Thank you my friend!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I am still (shocker) planning my "end-game system"
Always fun to plan and especially achieve that “Last System I Will Ever Need to Own”. :D

Definitely need to post it in the Audioholics “Pros and Joes Systems Gallery” section.

N

Nondemo01

Junior Audioholic
Always fun to plan and especially achieve that “Last System I Will Ever Need to Own”. :D

Definitely need to post it in the Audioholics “Pros and Joes Systems Gallery” section.
For sure! It would have been the S7ts but my profile pic of my new custom drum set should help explain why I downgraded! Lol. I mean, if you can have drums AND Perlistens R7ts, that's a no-brainer right?!?!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis