Mach's 7.2.4 Media Room

M

mach250

Audioholic Intern
This has been a work-in-progress for about 10 years moving around for work adding things here and there as time went by.

Started off in Okinawa JP with a huge rear projection, Onkyo TX-SR876, Sony SS-F7000 towers in the four corners and Onkyo HTIB surround center and sub. Now I'm using the below equipment and will be going up in my attic once again to sweat and run wires. First time was cat6 ethernet and now it'll be 12/2 wires for the in wall and ceiling speakers. Eventually plan to replace the RP-600M's with 6000F's so that I can use them in my living room.

=========================================

Audio equipment
  • Espon 6050UB
  • Marantz SR8012
  • Front L/R: Klipsch RP-8000F
  • Center: Klipsch RP-504C
  • Surround L/R: Klipsch PRO-160RPW
  • Surround Back L/R: Klipsch RP-600M
  • Atmos: Klipsch PRO-160RPC
  • Subwoofers: HSU VTF-3 MK5 (x2)
HTPC
  • Intel i7-9700K
  • Corsair H115i AIO
  • ASUS TUF Z390-Pro Motherboard
  • Corsair 2x16GB DDR4 3200
  • EVGA RTX 2080 Super FTW3
  • Samsung 250GB M.2 SSD
  • WD 3TB Black HDs
  • Corsair HX850i PSU
  • 5x Corsair LL140 RGB case fans
=========================================

This is my final layout plan. Would like to get an AT screen to place it forward of my LCR's. Sub placement isn't finalized here though.

Layout.PNG

• Entrance to the room when I first moved in

• During construction, wish the builder would have let me run network and speaker cable when prior to drywall.

• Monoprice 150" screen

• Running around in my attic

• Painting darker colors is a pain to avoid striping

• Still very happy with the quality of these blackoutez window covers. Was worried since these never get direct sunlight but have been up for years and there is no problems with them causing moisture buildup

• Mounted the screen

• Originally ran speaker wires under the baseboards/carpet edge, didn't want to mess with in-wall at the time but will be taking care of this soon

• Projector upgrade

• Subwoofers, first time having some real subs with before and after

• Klipsch upgrade

• Painting the speaker grills. For those thinking about doing this I recommend spraying. If you're using the same paint as your room get a foam roller to avoid clogging the grills holes.
95583195_10163899592310037_6076408177195220992_n.jpg
95272277_10163899727180037_5365794950329925632_n.jpg

Some really old pictures of when I first got the 8350

260431_10150619400210037_427853_n.jpg
254238_10150619400450037_575344_n.jpg

Last edited:
M

mach250

Audioholic Intern
Now I'm trying to decide on the couch riser and how I'm going to design it.

Riser.jpg

M

mach250

Audioholic Intern
Don't have a picture of my completed case on hand but here's a filler of the parts. Kids wanted the lighting, recommend turning it off when watching a movie if it's in the same room.

66591951_10162362566280037_7957604123426160640_n.jpg
81708363_10163191320200037_4455204043253350400_n.jpg

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I love new toys! I have a pair of those same subs and love them.

M

mach250

Audioholic Intern
Another day, another round of mental planning...today is materials for sound deadening panels. Already have 10 yards of black speaker grill type material I bought from joann a while back. Just need the insulation and thinking about using MDF for the framing. Going to squeeze the extra .5 of depth so I only need one panel of MDF.

Sound Panels.jpg

M

mach250

Audioholic Intern
Can you wire two sets of speakers to the same output? I'm thinking that I might need to have a second set of surround speakers for my front row if I decide on this layout

Room dimension layout.jpg

M

mach250

Audioholic Intern
Has anyone ever bought anything from northern sound and lights? I found a middle atlantic rcs-3524 there with free shipping but then found I have to pay $2-300 for the guy to unload it from the truck to the curb. Don't know much about the site and wondering if the prices are too good to be true.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Never heard of them. Just from your description it sounds sketchy to me...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Has anyone ever bought anything from northern sound and lights? I found a middle atlantic rcs-3524 there with free shipping but then found I have to pay $2-300 for the guy to unload it from the truck to the curb. Don't know much about the site and wondering if the prices are too good to be true.
I would not consider paying someone $2-300 to unload something from the truck to curb "free shipping". Seriously.

*Edit: They do have an "A" rating with the BBB, tho... if it's the same company.

M

mach250

Audioholic Intern
I would not consider paying someone $2-300 to unload something from the truck to curb "free shipping". Seriously.

*Edit: They do have an "A" rating with the BBB, tho... if it's the same company.

When I checked the bbb page it showed the same address as their website so it seems accurate. No reports on the company too.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
When I checked the bbb page it showed the same address as their website so it seems accurate. No reports on the company too.
Yeah, I dunno. No experience with them. Looks like they've been around a while, according to that link above. I'd do some more research.

M

mach250

Audioholic Intern
Decided on a Middle Atlantic RCS-2724 rack as it will be plenty of space for what I need. I will rethink the lower intake option so that will be an additional 2 spaces if I ever need it.

27U.png

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Decided on a Middle Atlantic RCS-2724 rack as it will be plenty of space for what I need. I will rethink the lower intake option so that will be an additional 2 spaces if I ever need it.

View attachment 36339
Did you order from NSL or check into them any more? I am a little bit curious. On the surface they look sketchy to me, but their BBB entry lends them some legitimacy.

M

mach250

Audioholic Intern
Did you order from NSL or check into them any more? I am a little bit curious. On the surface they look sketchy to me, but their BBB entry lends them some legitimacy.
I did go with NSL, if it turns out ok I'll be getting a $1000 rack for under $500 but with about $400 in freight and inside delivery. If anything it'll give me something to deal with the pass the time and then order it from another place for about the total out of pocket. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I did go with NSL, if it turns out ok I'll be getting a $1000 rack for under $500 but with about $400 in freight and inside delivery. If anything it'll give me something to deal with the pass the time and then order it from another place for about the total out of pocket. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Eh, you're still $100 ahead if it works out, and I'll bet it does. Sounds like you do save a little, they just have a goofy way of charging.

M

mach250

Audioholic Intern
Couch is ordered as well, really like the modularity of the lovesac couches. Went with a big black rectangle and decided to leave the screen on the wall but will be raising it up a bit to help it clear the center channel on its stand. This picture is the most accurate to scale I could get everything using their websites couch configurator and some ms paint shapes.

Rooomm.jpg

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Couch is ordered as well, really like the modularity of the lovesac couches. Went with a big black rectangle and decided to leave the screen on the wall but will be raising it up a bit to help it clear the center channel on its stand. This picture is the most accurate to scale I could get everything using their websites couch configurator and some ms paint shapes.

View attachment 36412
Ohh... they have a "couch configurator" on their site that you used to do that? Got a link to it? I want to find something like that so I can mock up my room.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis