Love ‘em or hated them??? Logitech universal remotes

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I'm curious to see if importing codes will be possible, hopefully their formatting was based on existing architecture. Setting up a URC was my original plan but when I saw a review of this one I thought it was worth a shot to try and saves me money. If it works out I can tell family just to buy these instead of me having to program URCs or RTIs for them. :D
Importing codes, from where, the OEM remote or a file like the one from Denon? When I called Sofabaton, they didn't seem to have a lot of experience with this kind of coding and conversions.

This is the reason I would like to see Sofabaton produce videos that actually show how to add commands- when I tried, it was one button at a time and that's just not gonna work for me. Some worked the first time, others didn't. It usually took me a few minutes to add all of the devices in a Harmony, about 5 minutes to create the basic activities and a bit of time to add buttons and tweak the activities, if needed. I can't spend an hour learning codes for THEIR library when they should already have them before launch of the product.

highfigh

highfigh

Where did you get the Denon file? How long ago was this, with Harmony particularly?

Nope didn't have one of those boxes....but think I had a cheater box from Scientific Atlanta?

I haven't had any problems with synching on/off unless I step outside of the activities mode of the Harmony fwiw (but if you mix device and activity commands then I have had some on/off issues).
I got the file directly from Denon after I called to get some discrete codes for surround modes because their remote only showed a few and I wanted to place a select few on the Harmony remote, to avoid the need to scroll through all of them, just to find the one that was wanted. The codes in the .pdf are hexidecimal, which isn't what Harmony uses but they're able to convert to their system.

I just checked my e-mail and I found the message I sent to the director of the Digital Products Group as June of 2017, telling him that I had sent the file to tech support ahead of that date.

The front of the Scientific Atlanta cable box is in the link- it's from the early 2000s, so it's not easy to find photos of the rear and one thing that was annoying is the concave lens for the channel numbers and IR sensor, which can be seen in the photo- flat things don't like to stick to concave and Alien Tape wasn't available at the time, so they usually fell off about five miles down the road after leaving.

Last edited:
Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Where did you get the Denon file? How long ago was this, with Harmony particularly?

Nope didn't have one of those boxes....but think I had a cheater box from Scientific Atlanta?

I haven't had any problems with synching on/off unless I step outside of the activities mode of the Harmony fwiw (but if you mix device and activity commands then I have had some on/off issues).
The US Denon site used to have a downloadable Excel sheet showing the available commands, and Denon tend to reuse IR commands if they are the same functionality.

So for the older AVR X4200W you can find them here:

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Importing codes, from where, the OEM remote or a file like the one from Denon? When I called Sofabaton, they didn't seem to have a lot of experience with this kind of coding and conversions.

This is the reason I would like to see Sofabaton produce videos that actually show how to add commands- when I tried, it was one button at a time and that's just not gonna work for me. Some worked the first time, others didn't. It usually took me a few minutes to add all of the devices in a Harmony, about 5 minutes to create the basic activities and a bit of time to add buttons and tweak the activities, if needed. I can't spend an hour learning codes for THEIR library when they should already have them before launch of the product.
From a file, like using the old pronto editor and converting files to .ccf for URC. I'm not holding out hope but it would be nice when the need arises.

highfigh

highfigh

The US Denon site used to have a downloadable Excel sheet showing the available commands, and Denon tend to reuse IR commands if they are the same functionality.

So for the older AVR X4200W you can find them here:

They all re-use commands- there's no reason to reinvent the wheel.

The IR command chart in the link didn't open for me.

I made a derp- the file is Excel, not a .pdf.

highfigh

highfigh

Agree, but one never knows and has to verify to be sure.
How much of a PITA is will be depends on how often someone needs to change the model of the device- one of the reasons I don't really like the 'programmed only by authorized dealers' model is that people who are very capable are locked out of doing it after the original programmer has moved on to another employer, profession, retired, etc- people who need little tweaks or changes after equipment is replaced are left hanging.

Easy way with a Harmony- add a device and test the commands- if there aren't any problems, delete the new device and leave it.

One caution I would like to add- some buttons on the Denon remote for the AVR-4311CI and other models that are from the same time can cause the volume to go WOT, as I found by pressing the '1' button on the numeric area of the keypad. When I looked at the command file, there it was- a command that sets the volume to -0dB and another for -20dB. I can only see a reason for this in an additional zone when the level won't be adjusted and wall-mounted volume controls (or a multi-speaker control like the SSVC-6, etc) will be used, but not for the main zone.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Yesterday, I decided to "fix up" two Logitech Harmony 650 remotes

The remotes come apart which are held together by 6 screws.
IMG_8517.jpg
IMG_8516.jpg

Remove the 3 screws holding the circuit card down.. Take Isopropyl alcohol and clean all the circular and rectangular button contacts on the right side of the pic.
IMG_8519.jpg

peel the brown backing off the pressure pads (bottom left of right pic) and placing it on the contacts carefully aligning it with the button contacts.
IMG_8521.jpg
IMG_8518.jpg

I'm surprised how dirty these contacts get even though they are relatively sealed.
IMG_8520.jpg

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai

View attachment 60935View attachment 60934

Remove the 3 screws holding the circuit card down.. Take Isopropyl alcohol and clean all the circular and rectangular button contacts on the right side of the pic.
View attachment 60937

peel the brown backing off the pressure pads (bottom left of right pic) and placing it on the contacts carefully aligning it with the button contacts.
View attachment 60939View attachment 60936

I'm surprised how dirty these contacts get even though they are relatively sealed.
View attachment 60938
OK, you have my undivided attention @3db
At least for the next 60 seconds.

When you did all this, which I am now tempted to do, did it fix the remote?
My Harmony refuses to communicate with my PC's. I can connect the USB cable but the computers just don't see it any more. I will gladly disassemble mine and do all this jazz if there's chance it will work again.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I got 5 bucks says his were never broke. He's in Canada. The winters are long. :D
I’ve never had any issues with either of my harmonys nothing to the point were I’d take them apart.

View attachment 60935View attachment 60934

View attachment 60937

View attachment 60939View attachment 60936

View attachment 60938
Wow interesting, I’m afraid I’d break mine .

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
OK, you have my undivided attention @3db
At least for the next 60 seconds.

When you did all this, which I am now tempted to do, did it fix the remote?
My Harmony refuses to communicate with my PC's. I can connect the USB cable but the computers just don't see it any more. I will gladly disassemble mine and do all this jazz if there's chance it will work again.
What I did was to fix the buttons on the remote. I dont what to do in your case. Have you googled to see if there is a factory reset of some sort?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis