Love ‘em or hated them??? Logitech universal remotes

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
That very much depends on the screen protector, unless you've more info that it is particularly bad on Logitech remotes?
Well, the definition of 'screen protector' is different, depending on whom you ask- AFAIK, there's no screen protector that's available from Harmony, so anything that's bought for it will be a test and it may not work. For non-touch screen items, some kind of tape will protect it, but that's unlikely to work for this remote. Harmony touchscreen remotes usually had/have a sensitivity adjustment, so it's possible that it might, though.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
If you don't remember the login name/password, it's possible to recover it or clone the account- you can do that in the software if you look in the troubleshooting area. Worst case, you can e-mail or call them and the tech support staff will help.
Can't one use the remote itself connected to the PC running the Logitech program for identification, at least to change devices/activities and such?

highfigh

highfigh

Agreed! It will be interesting to see where companies like Amazon go in the future with their control products( remotes, apps, echoes, etc) considering that younger generations "expect" full control over all gear out of the box and they expect "works with Alexa" to mean they just speak or push a command via a button and it will works.

I'm ordering one of these for my mother-in-law to evaluate and it seems like a potentially good product that doesn't require paying a CI to program. It's about $200 less then the base models from URC and RTI remotes with the associated equipment.

If I could trust Amazon, Google, etc to NOT eavesdrop, I might start using the Echo Dot I bought years ago.

Let us know how the X1 works out- I'm interested in knowing.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Well, the definition of 'screen protector' is different, depending on whom you ask- AFAIK, there's no screen protector that's available from Harmony, so anything that's bought for it will be a test and it may not work. For non-touch screen items, some kind of tape will protect it, but that's unlikely to work for this remote. Harmony touchscreen remotes usually had/have a sensitivity adjustment, so it's possible that it might, though.
There are generic ones in plastic that one can cut to size. Those made out out crystal/glass are better but then you've to find the right size.

highfigh

highfigh

Can't one use the remote itself connected to the PC running the Logitech program for identification, at least to change devices/activities and such?
Yes- it needs to be connected, but they require stringent security, rather than allowing anyone with the software to download the program, make changes and upload, the way URC does.

As I wrote, the Troubleshooting area helps, but the password can be found or changed in the login screen- (screen print didn't work)

1672593362848.png

highfigh

highfigh

There are generic ones in plastic that one can cut to size. Those made out out crystal/glass are better but then you've to find the right size.
I hate the glass ones- they never last long, for me. They start by chipping around any perforations and end up slicing my fingers. I'm pretty amazed by the durability of the glass on the iPhones I have used, though.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
How did they acquire the database- users? When I checked out the Sofabaton, it had almost nothing for me as far as brands and codes. TEch support tried to help, but they weren't very experienced with these and everyone I communicated with (including phone calls) seemed to be engineers.

I'm not a fan of using the buttons on a remote for programming. I think the Sofabaton X1 is a good looking remote, but I'll need to watch some videos for this model (if they have any)- the ones I watched for the original one weren't very informative WRT programming.
Have no idea about database....I'd think manufacturers provided it as they probably did with Harmony? It did have each device I looked up is all I know, didn't try and find exceptions. The videos aren't very good. Someone suggested best way to teach it macros is via it's learning mode with one of my Harmony remotes setup for the same gear.

ps did you use the Sofabaton app?

Last edited:
Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
If you don't remember the login name/password, it's possible to recover it or clone the account- you can do that in the software if you look in the troubleshooting area. Worst case, you can e-mail or call them and the tech support staff will help.
I lost the pass because my pc power cord output hub died so I haven’t used it in so long I forgot it. So it needs fixed ! Probably cost more then it’s value a cheap gateway $350 model 11+ years old, and it wasn’t written down anywhere. I know the email tho . There was an option to login with remote that worked , but I then cannot understand how to program the 350. harmonys guide on 350 was hard to understand and not in depth .

highfigh

highfigh

Have no idea about database....I'd think manufacturers provided it as they probably did with Harmony? It did have each device I looked up is all I know, didn't try and find exceptions. The videos aren't very good. Someone suggested best way to teach it macros is via it's learning mode with one of my Harmony remotes setup for the same gear.

ps did you use the Sofabaton app?
Actually, a lot of the Harmony database was originally provided by end users- this is painfully clear when adding'replacing commands and seeing names for the commands that were created by the people who learned the commands. They should have just used the name for the command on the buttons, but I guess that was too easy. They also didn't learn the whole command string and then, Harmony had to find a way to fix it.

URC has always said they have the most complete data library, but that's not true. Even though they supply OEM remotes for many manufacturers, their database has really sucked, at times. Also and unfortunately, some of their tech support people have been far less than helpful, so they have changed to a remotely assisted tech help system and that worked well- I was trying to solve the programming problems in one remote and fortunately, the one who answered the call was the person who created several of their dealer training videos, so he really knew what he was dealing with. He told me what I needed to do in real time and when it didn't work, recommended sending the program in an e-mail, so he could inspect it and see if it had any inherent errors. Conversely, I was connected to someone in another call and when I asked if I should send the file for inspection, he said "I don't know what good that would do". I went to a URC training session a couple of weeks later and when I told the trainer what I was told, I thought his head was going to explode because sending the file is EXACTLY what should have been done, but that guy wasn't willing to do it.

Learning all of the codes needed is absolutely not the best way to create macros. I have see this in many URC remotes and when changes are needed later, it creates a need to wipe the old macros, rather than delete the unneeded commands and select the new device's commands. Fortunately, Harmony's support people are able to help and in many cases, they have fixed commands while we were still on the call.

Use Harmony's support people- they're very good.

highfigh

highfigh

If anyone needs codes for Denon AVRs, I have the complete code set. Let me know if you need it and I can send it.

highfigh

highfigh

I lost the pass because my pc power cord output hub died so I haven’t used it in so long I forgot it. So it needs fixed ! Probably cost more then it’s value a cheap gateway $350 model 11+ years old, and it wasn’t written down anywhere. I know the email tho . There was an option to login with remote that worked , but I then cannot understand how to program the 350. harmonys guide on 350 was hard to understand and not in depth .
Step 1- add the devices.
Step 2- create the activities- it will ask which inputs are used for the sources, so you just click on the circle that pertains to it (DVD, BD, whatever), it will ask if the device turns on with one or two buttons, it will ask which devices are used in each activity as you set up each one, asks for every step needed to perform the activity (turn on each piece included in the activity, which inputs should be used on the AVR or TV, it asks which device is used to adjust the volume, change channels, etc and it will ask you to confirm that everything is correct before you click on Save.

If you can't log in, it might be easier to set up a new account.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Actually, a lot of the Harmony database was originally provided by end users- this is painfully clear when adding'replacing commands and seeing names for the commands that were created by the people who learned the commands. They should have just used the name for the command on the buttons, but I guess that was too easy. They also didn't learn the whole command string and then, Harmony had to find a way to fix it.

URC has always said they have the most complete data library, but that's not true. Even though they supply OEM remotes for many manufacturers, their database has really sucked, at times. Also and unfortunately, some of their tech support people have been far less than helpful, so they have changed to a remotely assisted tech help system and that worked well- I was trying to solve the programming problems in one remote and fortunately, the one who answered the call was the person who created several of their dealer training videos, so he really knew what he was dealing with. He told me what I needed to do in real time and when it didn't work, recommended sending the program in an e-mail, so he could inspect it and see if it had any inherent errors. Conversely, I was connected to someone in another call and when I asked if I should send the file for inspection, he said "I don't know what good that would do". I went to a URC training session a couple of weeks later and when I told the trainer what I was told, I thought his head was going to explode because sending the file is EXACTLY what should have been done, but that guy wasn't willing to do it.

Learning all of the codes needed is absolutely not the best way to create macros. I have see this in many URC remotes and when changes are needed later, it creates a need to wipe the old macros, rather than delete the unneeded commands and select the new device's commands. Fortunately, Harmony's support people are able to help and in many cases, they have fixed commands while we were still on the call.

Use Harmony's support people- they're very good.
I'm curious to see if importing codes will be possible, hopefully their formatting was based on existing architecture. Setting up a URC was my original plan but when I saw a review of this one I thought it was worth a shot to try and saves me money. If it works out I can tell family just to buy these instead of me having to program URCs or RTIs for them. :D

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I've not had that experience with Harmony I guess, but haven't any experience with the "commands" you're referring to (altho think I've read of them)....but I don't need to use but the basic programming using the database of each piece of hardware is more what I was referring to rather than some tweak of an activiity....altho once upon a time I did a dive into creating different delays trying to defeat an hdmi-cec sequence.

Last edited:
Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Step 1- add the devices.
Step 2- create the activities- it will ask which inputs are used for the sources, so you just click on the circle that pertains to it (DVD, BD, whatever), it will ask if the device turns on with one or two buttons, it will ask which devices are used in each activity as you set up each one, asks for every step needed to perform the activity (turn on each piece included in the activity, which inputs should be used on the AVR or TV, it asks which device is used to adjust the volume, change channels, etc and it will ask you to confirm that everything is correct before you click on Save.

If you can't log in, it might be easier to set up a new account.
I got logged in via remote itself , I just forgot how to program my ultimate one commands . Never knew how to run the 350 or program commands , and Logitech manual for it was sub par . Not sure why my ultimate one didn’t come with the hub just a quick charger I can’t find it’s lost .

highfigh

highfigh

I've not had that experience with Harmony I guess, but haven't any experience with the "commands" you're referring to (altho think I've read of them)....but I don't need to use but the basic programming using the database of each piece of hardware is more what I was referring to rather than some tweak of an activiity....altho once upon a time I did a dive into creating different delays trying to defeat an hdmi-cec sequence.
I received the file with the complete set of commands directly from Denon and provided it for the Remote Central forum, as well as Harmony- I sent it to Harmony because it would allow them to compare codes with what they had and because not all manufacturers are extremely willing to send complete code sets because universal remote companies are in competition with them- kind of a "Why should I send them to you?" situation. URC doesn't even have codes for brands that really should be in their library, but this is the answer I have received from them. I never did much with RTi or Pronto and never did anything with UEI, other than hate programming their POS.

Rather than defeating CEC, couldn't you just turn it off? That's where uni remotes shine- discrete commands for everything except the few idiot companies that don't want to use them, like Spectrum, ATT and soem TV manufacturers.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I received the file with the complete set of commands directly from Denon and provided it for the Remote Central forum, as well as Harmony- I sent it to Harmony because it would allow them to compare codes with what they had and because not all manufacturers are extremely willing to send complete code sets because universal remote companies are in competition with them- kind of a "Why should I send them to you?" situation. URC doesn't even have codes for brands that really should be in their library, but this is the answer I have received from them. I never did much with RTi or Pronto and never did anything with UEI, other than hate programming their POS.

Rather than defeating CEC, couldn't you just turn it off? That's where uni remotes shine- discrete commands for everything except the few idiot companies that don't want to use them, like Spectrum, ATT and soem TV manufacturers.
What file?

That there's competition attitudes doesn't surprise me, altho I think that's a poor stance on the manufacturer's part.

Yes, the timing thing was successful up until something got changed; I assumed it was an update that caused the changes. Rather than look it up again (it was rather involved the first time) I just at that time stopped using ARC...went to apps outside of tv too.

highfigh

highfigh

I'm curious to see if importing codes will be possible, hopefully their formatting was based on existing architecture. Setting up a URC was my original plan but when I saw a review of this one I thought it was worth a shot to try and saves me money. If it works out I can tell family just to buy these instead of me having to program URCs or RTIs for them. :D
I asked Sofabaton if I could send codes to them and they declined- even if I have to learn commands from an OEM remote, I can get the Hexadecimal version in the URC MX Editor or in the RemoteCEntral code finder. If I need it in Hex, I have gotten that from Harmony. They have fixed commands and when I tried to use the IR output of a Harmony 1000 to control the DVR for the surveillance DVR and it was operating the TV, they told me that both used the same IR chips. They also explained that there aren't many companies making those chips and the command codes are named by the company using them, so what might have been the Menu button for the DVR, it was the same code used to lock the setup menu in the Pioneer TV.

I would like for Sofabaton to create a demo version in their app- I downloaded it again and if I want to see how It works, I have to buy the remote.

highfigh

highfigh

I got logged in via remote itself , I just forgot how to program my ultimate one commands . Never knew how to run the 350 or program commands , and Logitech manual for it was sub par . Not sure why my ultimate one didn’t come with the hub just a quick charger I can’t find it’s lost .
The Ultimate and some of the other Harmony remotes had the hub as an option because there's no reason to ship it with the remote when so many people would never use it.

Is the quick charger a plastic base that the remote sits in? I never worked with an Ultimate.

Have you looked on ebay for a replacement?

highfigh

highfigh

What file?

That there's competition attitudes doesn't surprise me, altho I think that's a poor stance on the manufacturer's part.

Yes, the timing thing was successful up until something got changed; I assumed it was an update that caused the changes. Rather than look it up again (it was rather involved the first time) I just at that time stopped using ARC...went to apps outside of tv too.
The file is a .pdf and it has the hexadecimal codes for every Denon AVR command, with the Demon models along the bottom. After Harmony received them, they converted each to their system and replaced the bad codes in their library. That must have been an absolutely brutal task.

Updates to devices shouldn't cause changes in the programming or the command codes- those are fixed.

If you think that manufacturers not cooperating with other companies is bad, do you remember the silver Explorer cable boxes from Time Warner, Comcrap or other cable companies? They were made by Scientific Atlanta and if you look at the rear, they had an IR port, to prevent the need to stick an IR emitter on the plastic window on the front. Which was concave, so the emitter wouldn't stay in place without Super Glue, tape, some kind of special cap, Silicone glue or hot glue.

When the cable companies received the cable boxes, the IR port worked, but they deactivated this function. The other command they didn't use was discrete ON/OFF commands- that still isn't one used by their remotes and people still have synch problems if they aren't using CEC. With a universal remote, it's a royal PITA and we always have to fine a workaround, which doesn't always work.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The file is a .pdf and it has the hexadecimal codes for every Denon AVR command, with the Demon models along the bottom. After Harmony received them, they converted each to their system and replaced the bad codes in their library. That must have been an absolutely brutal task.

Updates to devices shouldn't cause changes in the programming or the command codes- those are fixed.

If you think that manufacturers not cooperating with other companies is bad, do you remember the silver Explorer cable boxes from Time Warner, Comcrap or other cable companies? They were made by Scientific Atlanta and if you look at the rear, they had an IR port, to prevent the need to stick an IR emitter on the plastic window on the front. Which was concave, so the emitter wouldn't stay in place without Super Glue, tape, some kind of special cap, Silicone glue or hot glue.

When the cable companies received the cable boxes, the IR port worked, but they deactivated this function. The other command they didn't use was discrete ON/OFF commands- that still isn't one used by their remotes and people still have synch problems if they aren't using CEC. With a universal remote, it's a royal PITA and we always have to fine a workaround, which doesn't always work.
Where did you get the Denon file? How long ago was this, with Harmony particularly?

Nope didn't have one of those boxes....but think I had a cheater box from Scientific Atlanta?

I haven't had any problems with synching on/off unless I step outside of the activities mode of the Harmony fwiw (but if you mix device and activity commands then I have had some on/off issues).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis