LoTR: The Rings of Power

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
But I'm going to keep trying it out. Hopefully when it gets past the intro and starts tying the different storylines together and moves forward with the plot it will all come together.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
But I'm going to keep trying it out. Hopefully when it gets past the intro and starts tying the different storylines together and moves forward with the plot it will all come together.
From what I've found, they are only going to do 8 episodes this season. Hopefully it's not a huge, jumbled mess of them trying to stuff everything they can into 8 episodes.

Going forward into future seasons, will Amazon keep the budgets extremely high? Spending $60 million per episode or bringing it down to a more "manageable" $30 million? haha

So far with only two episodes in, I'd give the series a 7/10. It's not outstanding, but it's pretty good. Most series start slow to build character depth, so can't totally fault them for starting out kind of slow. I'm very certain it will pick up and have more battle scenes.

I really like having two huge fantasy shows on at the same time. Get Rings of Power on Friday's and then House of the Dragon on Sunday. I hope they continue having the release dates near each other.

Now with College football having started and NFL starting next week! woah man! Friday-Sunday night is jam packed!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
So far to me, the main story is just about locating Sauron and killing him.

It’s the same main story as in LOTR trilogy- killing Sauron.

Other than that, it’s just introducing the audience to all the characters and places/settings.

And then do character development like you would any story.

With character development, you will see subplots.

The question is, will we like the characters and character development?

Hopefully, unlike the LOTR movies, they will also develop the Sauron character. Was Sauron always evil? Who was he before? Was Sauron born evil or was he born like everyone else?

But the main plot is locating and killing Sauron. :D

Last edited:
D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
From what I've found, they are only going to do 8 episodes this season. Hopefully it's not a huge, jumbled mess of them trying to stuff everything they can into 8 episodes.

Going forward into future seasons, will Amazon keep the budgets extremely high? Spending $60 million per episode or bringing it down to a more "manageable" $30 million? haha

So far with only two episodes in, I'd give the series a 7/10. It's not outstanding, but it's pretty good. Most series start slow to build character depth, so can't totally fault them for starting out kind of slow. I'm very certain it will pick up and have more battle scenes.

I really like having two huge fantasy shows on at the same time. Get Rings of Power on Friday's and then House of the Dragon on Sunday. I hope they continue having the release dates near each other.

Now with College football having started and NFL starting next week! woah man! Friday-Sunday night is jam packed!
Thats my next one to get into House of The Dragon!

It's getting a lot of buzz from viewers that it's really pretty darn good so I'm pretty stoked!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

Other than that, it’s just introducing the audience to all the characters and places/settings.

Hopefully, unlike the LOTR movies, they will also develop the Sauron character. Was Sauron always evil? Who was he before? Was Sauron born evil or was he born like everyone else?

I would like to see Sauron in this one! Back then at the time of the making of the rings he could take any form and was one of the most fairest and charismatic the most beautiful of all the elves. It was how he deceived all the races in the crafting of the rings. Hopefully he gets showcased in this series!

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.

Yep, if the trilogy was trying to kill Sauron, this series cannot find him and kill him.
As you indicate more character development and side stories.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Liked the first two, but I had to pull out the books to find out who some of these people were and and how the got to be where they were since the Rings of Power is way way before the 1st LOTR. But so far so good .

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
This is before Hobbits even existed. I find it pretty interesting that it shows some of the backstory that eventually will lead to events in LoTR, like Khazad Dum. I believe we are seeing the beginning of two key characters in LoTR too.

8 episodes for this season, S2 was already greenlit was my understanding, however they did say they expect to reduce the cost for subsequent seasons.

Last edited:
Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
This show is an absolute game changer!! Big budget and presented in Dolby Vision and Atmos at home. Just think about that for second. They didn't want to spare any expense to entertain us.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja

I think in this TV movie we will see ( well I hope we see) a Sauron that pretends to be good in the character of Annatar, as he works with the Eve Smith Master ( Celebrimbor ) to construct the Rings Of Power. But its all a scam so he can construct the One Ring for himself.. Maybe they show that.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I think in this TV movie we will see ( well I hope we see) a Sauron that pretends to be good in the character of Annatar, as he works with the Eve Smith Master ( Celebrimbor ) to construct the Rings Of Power. But its all a scam so he can construct the One Ring for himself.. Maybe they show that.
Bit of a spoiler there (even though the show sort of seems to give that away already), let people be surprised, might want to put it in spoiler tags. There are a number of things that seem to be possibilities we could see in this too that could make the show very interesting. The stories of those who received the rings seems likely. The fall of Khazad Dum? Smaug? The battle that eventually lead the ring to Smeagol (later on)? Gandalf? The rise of Hobbits and Men, since Hobbits don't really exist yet?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Got E1 under our belt last night. I enjoyed it. Couldn't decide if The Lady did. *shrugs Looking forward to E2 and 3 over the weekend. :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I just saw episode 3. Still liking it a lot.

It's a lot better than I thought it would be. :D

Definitely liking it a lot more than the LOTR movies since there is more character development.

I can tell the LOTR movies were male-dominant. This series is like 50/50 male:female. So I am liking this balance better also. :D

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
We knew about LoTR viewership, now HoD numbers are out and I am a bit surprised. LoTR: 25M viewers on launch, HoD: 10M. So people are waiting to see how HoD is first before going back to it because of how Game of Thrones ended or just because they don't want to go back to HBO? So many people have Prime, but I didn't expect it to have higher viewership than HoD.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I have a fairly negative view of the whole GoT show. I did enjoy watching it to a certain extent and have zero issue with sexual or violent content. My take on the showrunner's approach was one of continuous shock and awe, thus finding the necessity to have to continually outdo themselves...
Almost every episode felt like a bludgeon. Too often they made me feel like I felt after watching Requiem For a Dream: great movie; only watched it once and sometimes wished I hadn't at all! ;)
I had never read the novels, and GoT only made me not want to read them at all.
Mind, I am a fan of High Fantasy.

Anyway, I think LOTR is still considered the pinnacle of High Fantasy, no matter who you are and what you've read. The impact Tolkien had on the genre will ever be the yardstick by which other authors and their works are measured, for better or worse.
Moreover, Peter Jackson's treatment of the two trilogies was exceptional. They were beautiful and a huge spectacle. To carry that on and attempt to recreate that feeling is a goal not to be taken lightly.

I do hope that RoP will have the staying power to keep viewership high, thus keeping the quality of the production high.

3 episodes in and I'm committed, eager for more. I never felt that way about GoT.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Just watched E3 and it is getting better. So many things that clearly lead to where the trilogy picks up. Nicely done so far. Looking forward to where it goes.

I have seen Requiem a few times and I know what you mean. My brother asked me to watch it with him, he is an addict. It came across as something different for me as a result, almost an explanation of what goes on in his head. I think many of Aronofski's early films leave you with that feeling - Pi, The Fountain, The Wrestler, Black Swan. But all of them are extremely well crafted and acted and I still like them.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Okay so I kept going and really it's not bad at all especially as the story is starting to pick up a bit.

That first 45 minutes tho man that was slooooowww. But now that it's moving along and you can see how some of the different threads are developing I'm liking it.

I also since I'm such a LOTR geek had to get the Silmarillion out of my head and how I knew Galadriel from the lore. Once my mind just watched it on its own I'm liking it.

The atmos and the visuals I just can't get over them. They really put the effort in and you can tell.

My only pet peeve and it's minor. Is just the elves appearance. They are in Tolkiens own words the first of the creators children. They are human like in appearance but look different. They are angelic in appearance much taller on average and are beautiful beyond measure.

Ummmm a lot of these guys just look like random normal humans wearing pointy ears man. I'm sorry but they do.

But other then that nitpick I'm starting to enjoy it.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Knowing the lore once they mentioned Celebrimbor that's the direction I hope they are going as well

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I have a fairly negative view of the whole GoT show. I did enjoy watching it to a certain extent and have zero issue with sexual or violent content. My take on the showrunner's approach was one of continuous shock and awe, thus finding the necessity to have to continually outdo themselves...
Almost every episode felt like a bludgeon. Too often they made me feel like I felt after watching Requiem For a Dream: great movie; only watched it once and sometimes wished I hadn't at all! ;)
I had never read the novels, and GoT only made me not want to read them at all.
Mind, I am a fan of High Fantasy.

Anyway, I think LOTR is still considered the pinnacle of High Fantasy, no matter who you are and what you've read. The impact Tolkien had on the genre will ever be the yardstick by which other authors and their works are measured, for better or worse.
Moreover, Peter Jackson's treatment of the two trilogies was exceptional. They were beautiful and a huge spectacle. To carry that on and attempt to recreate that feeling is a goal not to be taken lightly.

I do hope that RoP will have the staying power to keep viewership high, thus keeping the quality of the production high.

3 episodes in and I'm committed, eager for more. I never felt that way about GoT.
The one thing about GOT I liked is the same reason like you it could make me squirm

It was very dark and brutal. I mean every season some character I loved would just get brutalized. I'd end up as gutted as they were.

I always felt GOT was more like a reality take on what a fantasy world like that would be like. It would not be an easy place to live. They made it gritty on purpose.

I always felt LOTR emphasized more the best of man and what he could hope to be. Which makes sense when you consider the time of history Tolkien wrote it.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
The one thing about GOT I liked is the same reason like you it could make me squirm

It was very dark and brutal. I mean every season some character I loved would just get brutalized. I'd end up as gutted as they were.

I always felt GOT was more like a reality take on what a fantasy world like that would be like. It would not be an easy place to live. They made it gritty on purpose.

I always felt LOTR emphasized more the best of man and what he could hope to be. Which makes sense when you consider the time of history Tolkien wrote it.
Maybe the better way to describe it is that every other episode added an additional shark for the Fonz to jump. :)
Jumping the Shark | Know Your Meme
For me they jumped one shark too many when the Dragon died and came back. ;) That was the last episode I watched, and I called it the whole way it was so predictable.
It's not about dark and brutal, its about just knowing when to say when... and they didn't.
*shrugs
That was the straw that broke my back... but there are lists of other Shark jumping moments.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis