LoTR: The Rings of Power

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I was always surprised that High Fantasy and Science Fiction were always so closely grouped.

They can each have horror elements (Alien, Event Horizon as sci fi) and lets face it... GoT was a Zombie story if ever there was one. :p
Many do group the fantasy-ish GoT/LotR type stuff with sci-fiish things like BG/ST(altho I think Trell was not combining them as much as ADTG). They do have crossover aspects among them, tho....but its all fiction after all.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
GoT is not what I would call science fiction.
I would consider all of these as "FANTASY" = Game of Thrones, LOTR, Wheel of Time, Witcher and the upcoming Dungeons and Dragons TV series.

They all seem to have Dungeons, Dragons and Mages/Wizards/Witches = MAGIC.

Science Fiction would be like Battlestar Galactica, Star Trek, Star Wars, Interstellar = Space Travel, Gravitational Force, Time-Space Continuum, Time Travel, Black Holes.

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Original. I loved it, but I was a kid then. The story did seem to get a little lost along the way.
Absolutely. I loved watching it, as a kid, but watching it again as an adult was almost a let down. The re-imagination they did for the 2004 Katee Sackhoff/Edward James Olmos version was excellent. Still had it's questionable moments, but loved it and watched it a couple times through.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
I would consider all of these as "FANTASY" = Game of Thrones, LOTR, Wheel of Time, Witcher.

They all seem to have Dragons and Wizards/Witches.

Science Fiction would be like Battlestar Galactica, Star Trek, Star Wars.
I wrote GoT and Battlestar Galactica in my post you replied to and I assumed you just typed very fast for an extended typo.:)

For the two series you wrote about they’re the same genre, I’d say.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
That’s a tough act to do, and for a different genre, so is the Battlestar Galactica reimagining.
I love BSG! The 2004 series that is. One of my all time favorite TV series.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
It's probably gonna be another "Wheel of Time" or "Witcher".

I don't expect it to be like Game of Thrones - House of the Dragon. :cool:
I'm looking forward to House of Dragons. I have my reservations. I know everyone is new (writers, producers, etc...) and they have actual source material (again). Lets see if HBO can right the ship after the what they did with the last couple seasons of GoT's. I expect quality and directing to be good, now lets hope the writing is up there as well. I'm guessing HBO easily spent $100 million on this first season. Make sure everything is perfect.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'm looking forward to House of Dragons. I have my reservations. I know everyone is new (writers, producers, etc...) and they have actual source material (again). Lets see if HBO can right the ship after the what they did with the last couple seasons of GoT's. I expect quality and directing to be good, now lets hope the writing is up there as well. I'm guessing HBO easily spent $100 million on this first season. Make sure everything is perfect.
I would take the last 2 seasons of GoT over 99% of the shows out there, including Witcher and Wheel of Time. and probably the new LOTR. :D

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I would take the last 2 seasons of GoT over 99% of the shows out there, including Witcher and Wheel of Time. and probably the new LOTR. :D
Most of it , not ALL of it lol. I agree though, still great show.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Wheel of time was just meh.... I know nothing about the books so can't comment on them. But the show was kind of boring. It has some good cinematography. But the overall story was pretty weak. I like the Witcher. This last season was not as good as the first season but had some quality moments throughout. It wasn't by any means complete trash. I gave it a 7/10. First season was 8/10.

Like I've mentioned before. If GoT's would have been 100 episodes long and kept RR Martin on for writing credits, the show could've been the greatest show/series of all time. I'm not saying last 2 seasons are terrible, they just were not up to the same quality as seasons 1-6. Seasons 7-8 should've been 10 episodes and they didn't need to rush things. That's why If HBO would've dumped the Producers who were already half-way out the door, things might've ended a whole lot better.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Original? or the remake?

Right! The movies pillaged the same story so hard it was horrendous, yet everybody complained that they weren't the original trilogy. *shrugs The new Star Treks are so much like the old ones that it surprise me people are complaining because that is exactly what kept the franchise going for so long.
Not like either series had a lot of guts to expand with....both were fairly weak in the big picture despite popularity.....IMHO

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
FWIW I really tried with Wheel of Time, but good grief what crap it is.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
It's probably gonna be another "Wheel of Time" or "Witcher".

I don't expect it to be like Game of Thrones - House of the Dragon. :cool:
Boy, I hope it's not like Wheel of Time, the matriarchy is just too much for me.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Wheel of Time sucked big time, couldn't get beyond the first coupla episodes myself. Lot of promise, little delivery. Hopefully GoT exceeds the first series effort or it will just be more crap....

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
GOT season 8 was awesome! The whole series was awesome! The Witcher both seasons awesome! What more could a Syfy junkie ask for, monsters, dragons, gorgeous naked ladies, sword battles, people getting all ate up by monsters. The only thing that pissed me off about GOT season 8 the last ES, was when Jon stuck that knife in Daenerys's heart. I was hoping she was gonna tell Jon she was pregnant with his baby. :D But the surround track for LoTR, is much better then both the Witcher and GOT.

Last edited:
}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
GOT season 8 was awesome! The whole series was awesome! The Witcher both seasons awesome! What more could a Syfy junkie ask for, monsters, dragons, gorgeous naked ladies, sword battles, people getting all ate up by monsters. The only thing that pissed me off about GOT season 8 the last ES, was when Jon stuck that knife in Daenerys's heart. I was hoping she was gonna tell Jon she was pregnant with his baby. :D But the surround track for LoTR, is much better then both the Witcher and GOT.
Season 8 was absolute dog crap. There is just no way around it. I did love season 7 though.

As for the LoTR show, I'm excited for it. The first trailer looked kind of mehhhh, but the 2nd one got me pumped. I haven't watched the latest one and I won't before the show starts. Looking forward to this is a big way.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Season 8 was absolute dog crap. There is just no way around it. I did love season 7 though.

As for the LoTR show, I'm excited for it. The first trailer looked kind of mehhhh, but the 2nd one got me pumped. I haven't watched the latest one and I won't before the show starts. Looking forward to this is a big way.
one man's opinion I thought it was awesome. it's fantasy, entertainment. She F..n crazy Mad! Dragon scene when she was burning down, King's landing but other than that I thought it was great.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis