Loser Cinema Emotiva UMC-1

G

greggp2

Senior Audioholic
I got an email today stating mine was ready to be shipped:

Your UMC will be shipping shortly! All the units have been installed with latest firmware ( V6.02.11) and have been tested at the factory. In this version we have defined and resolved known issues, but testing is ongoing. I think you will be pleased with performance of the latest firmware; however, this is not the final code.
Got this same e-mail about 2 weeks ago. They also asked if I'd rather wait for the final firmware version. With the problems people have been reporting, I asked them to hold my position until they release the final version. My Onkyo unit has been performing well and I see no need to get a unit that isn't 100% ready for prime time...

B

bhodge

Junior Audioholic
Got this same e-mail about 2 weeks ago. They also asked if I'd rather wait for the final firmware version. With the problems people have been reporting, I asked them to hold my position until they release the final version. My Onkyo unit has been performing well and I see no need to get a unit that isn't 100% ready for prime time...
Yup, that was in mine as well, I think I will probably do the same, just wait for the final release. I have heard a few people try the beta and have been quite pleased with it. Hopefully they will get all the kinks worked out soon.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
I got an email today stating mine was ready to be shipped:

Your UMC will be shipping shortly! All the units have been installed with latest firmware ( V6.02.11) and have been tested at the factory. In this version we have defined and resolved known issues, but testing is ongoing. I think you will be pleased with performance of the latest firmware; however, this is not the final code.
Actually, the latest Beta version of the firmware ends with ".14".

At least that's what my UMC-1 says. ;)

E

egreen1976

Junior Audioholic
UMC-1 Issues

Just installed my UMC-1 over the weekend and I must say I am a tad disappointed. There are some MAJOR issues including:

1) Every so often when changing channel or using Tivo I will get a sharp, high pitch shriek that I am almost sure may damage speakers.

2) The unit literally has frozen up a couple times.

3) Video Resolution problems when switching inputs, the switching is slow and buggy. Every so often when switching to an hdmi source that is already turned on, the picture comes in missing one of the component colors. This fixes if I turn he source off and back on.

4) Everytime there is no audio for a split second, the OSD pops up saying there is no audio. This is just annoying.

5) The sound effects for my apple tv and tivo are not coming through. The source material comes through fine but I don't hear like the "tivo rewind noise"

This is a preliminary report and some of these may be solved by a little investigation on my part.

Ultimately you get what you pay for, when it works you can not beat the performance/price ratio, but there are some glitches you just would not see from better known manufacturers.

If I was advising people I would say you MUST WAIT for these problems to be worked out.

O

oppman99

Senior Audioholic
In response to #4, you can turn off the OSD pop-up.

I haven't experienced the video resolution or channel change issues. Mine has only locked up once, and I've had it since Feb. Try a complete shut down (power switch on the back). I just did the beta firmware update over the weekend. I'm kind of wishing I hadn't bothered. Doesn't seem to effect my personal setup, although others may find differently. I do find mine takes a long time to lock on to my BR player (Panny BD60) depending on the disc, but that could be the player. There is still work to be done before this thing takes off, but I'm hoping the wait will be worth it.

radridd

radridd

Audioholic
I have also decided to wait for the final release. Although the longer I wait the less I want one. Have to say I am very happy with my 886.

son-yah-tive

son-yah-tive

Full Audioholic
I'm doing the same thing. I want to be sure it is ready to go, when it arrives.

majorloser

majorloser

From the last podcast Emotiva released last Friday, they say the final firmware will be out in the next couple weeks. I guess I will load the last BETA version this week when I get a chance.

Emotiva also said they will be shipping the new billet remote to all of the early adopters.

So I guess since I was the first to receive the UMC-1, I should be getting a new remote :cool:

Last edited:
son-yah-tive

son-yah-tive

Full Audioholic
From the last podcast Emotiva released last Friday, they say the final firmware will be out in the next couple weeks. I guess I will load the last BETA version this week when I get a chance.

Emotiva also said they will be shipping the new billet remote to all of the early adopters.

So I guess since I was the first to receive the UMC-1, I should be getting a new remote :cool:
And you've also been a BIG help for those of us waiting for the UMC-1. I've learned alot about the unit from the info you gave at the start of this thread. It seems a little less intimidating, the more I go over it. Thanks.

Last edited:
Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Emotiva has released the third BETA installment of firmware. I haven't had a chance to load it, but hopefully I'll have time this week to give it a try. :eek:

http://emotiva.com/umc1updates.shtm
Major did you come to a verdict on the latest firmware?
I'll bet you're spending all your time with the new truck, and forgot all about the poor UMC-1?:D
Shoot me a PM if you'd like.

majorloser

majorloser

Sorry man, haven't got around to loading the new firmware. :eek:

Like you I've been waiting to hear about any improvements or if this is really the final version. It's just a PITA for me to load firmware and reconfigure all of the settings. It means putting aside a good 3 to 4 hours getting things back the way I like them.

O

oppman99

Senior Audioholic
I loaded the latest firmware right after it was released. Only watched 3-4 movies since then. So far, I really don't notice a huge difference. The HDMI handshake seems to be a little faster. I've had fewer dialog dropouts after pausing/resuming play. I really didn't/don't experience most of the major issues that seem to pop up on the forum. I haven't gone back and tried EmoQ again although I don't think it has been fixed anyway.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Sorry man, haven't got around to loading the new firmware. :eek:

Like you I've been waiting to hear about any improvements or if this is really the final version. It's just a PITA for me to load firmware and reconfigure all of the settings. It means putting aside a good 3 to 4 hours getting things back the way I like them.
Well? Whats up? Is it fixed yet?

son-yah-tive

son-yah-tive

Full Audioholic
I loaded the latest firmware right after it was released. Only watched 3-4 movies since then. So far, I really don't notice a huge difference. The HDMI handshake seems to be a little faster. I've had fewer dialog dropouts after pausing/resuming play. I really didn't/don't experience most of the major issues that seem to pop up on the forum. I haven't gone back and tried EmoQ again although I don't think it has been fixed anyway.
The EmoQ is not fixed yet. There is a problem between the set up mic and the processor. I understand Emotiva is working on this as we speak.

majorloser

majorloser

According to Emotiva's latest webcast, they have finished the "final" firmware and will release it soon. They are supposedly working on making the loading process easier before releasing to the public. I think I'll hold off till that version is released. Heck, I might even just bring it with me to Emofest and let them do it there.

On another note, I received the new monster billet aluminum remote control last week. To be honest I haven't played with it much. It's just a little to big for my liking and it's still not backlit so I'm not gaining that much by using it. I'd have to vote for using a universal remote for the UMC-1 is the best bet for most people.

gregcss

gregcss

Audioholic Intern
Been looking at the UMC-1 with UPA-5 and 2 receivers rotel RSX-1550 and the marantz sr7005 (not released yet). Whatever i choose will be used for 2 channel stereo and home theater. The most important thing to me is the 2 channel sound quality; i would use the UMC-1 as a preamp with an oppo 83se (maybe nuforce) as the processor. Has anyone tried similar setup?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis