Loser Cinema Emotiva UMC-1

majorloser

majorloser

Life is better. I got some sleep and can think straight now.

Got all of my inputs straightened out. Inputs are all back to my original settings and labels re-entered. So now we can get back to evaluation.

First thing I did tonight was run a bunch of EmoQ calibrations. There is a HUGE improvement this time around. The distance calculations were perfect, the crossover settings were exactly were I would have expected and the phases were all normal. The biggest improvement was the subwoofer level setting. Much lower than before. Still a little hot by my standards, but very good. I did lower the subs a few dB's just to make me happy.

I'll spend the rest of the week going through the setting and making sure it's working right. Need to get my theater cleaned up and everything back together before this weekend and before company come over.

So far I'll give the firmware upgrade a thumbs up. :cool:

U

utopianemo

Junior Audioholic
Anything new to report? How do you feel the unit performs, now that the firmware upgrade is behind you and the 'new product' high is long gone?

radridd

radridd

Audioholic
Keep the info coming. Just received my estimated delivery date of April
4th. Still on the fence about purchase?:confused:

majorloser

majorloser

Sorry for not getting back to everybody quicker.

It seems the last firmware update has addressed most if not all of the problems with the UMC-1's operations. They have also released discrete remote codes to access inputs and remote options directly without scrolling through pages.

They have also stated that they (and all of the rest of us) feel the EmoQ sets the subwoofers too hot. So they recommend lowering the setting. But they have also stated they will be releasing another firmware in the near future with other features and at that time they will address the EmoQ subwofer setting.

Though I was able to load my firmware onto my UMC-1. it wasn't a fun process. Not as much a problem with Emotiva's supplied software as much as how much fun Windows can be to work with. They have stated in the last webcast that there was a few individuals that couldn't load the firmware themselves and had to ship the unit back to them for upgrades. They have promised to simplify future firmware upgrades. For those of us who have completed the task the first time it won't be an issue the next.

Emotiva has also announced that they will be releasing an "enhanced" remote control as an option in the near future. They have not released the image, but the recent webcast said it was large and metal. So I assume the remote will be similar to previous remotes supplied with older items. One of the biggest advantages of the new remote will be the added buttons for some of the discrete codes.

I am happy with the unit.

But far more important, my wife is happy with the UMC-1. Since the UMC-1 will get moved into her bedroom setup once I receive the XMC-1, that was of upmost importance. She's impressed with how it handles video scaling to 1080p and very happy with the sound quality of the unit. Her setup consists of all Emotiva speakers, so what's one more Emo item.

Like I've said many times, it's not the perfect unit for everybody. It doesn't have all the fancy "bells 'n whistles" like much higher priced units, but I guess that's the point. It's a bargain for the price they're asking. Then take into account their return policy and it's worth a shot before spending way more for another brand.

Most of my original issues it would seem were either addressed with the last firmware update, a new redesigned remote or promised to be addressed with the next firmware update. It still doesn't have all of the front jacks I would like it to have, but that's where my above homemade panel comes into use. I also wish the supplied microphone had the proper sized tapped hole (1/4") on the bottom for use with a tripod. I hate having to just lay it around on top of things. I also wish the microphone was a little better made, but it's not like you use it that often once the system is properly set up.

U

utopianemo

Junior Audioholic
If you don't mind my asking, what speakers does your wife have? I've been also pondering the upgrade to Emotiva speakers as they seem to provide one of the best bang-for-buck ratios I've seen. I'm probably just thinking about the 6.2's with the dipole rears

majorloser

majorloser

If you don't mind my asking, what speakers does your wife have? I've been also pondering the upgrade to Emotiva speakers as they seem to provide one of the best bang-for-buck ratios I've seen. I'm probably just thinking about the 6.2's with the dipole rears
She has three of the ERM-1's and four ERD-1's. I don't really have enough floor space for towers, so everything is wall mounted. But I would like to replace the ERM-1's with 6.2's. The ERM-6.2's are great speakers. Definitely bigger and better bass extension. They were the hit of last years Emofest. The ERM-6.2 is basically the upper section of the ERT-8.3 towers. Add a dedicated subwoofer with the ERM-6.2's and I feel they outperform the towers.

To be honest, I have a pair Canton towers and a pair of RBH TK-5CT's sitting in the corner of my bedroom. My wife wants me to hook up the Cantons and steal them from me. But luckily there's no room in the front by the plasma for towers. :p

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Sounds like your wife really supports your habbit, you are a lucky man.

majorloser

majorloser

Sounds like your wife really supports your habbit, you are a lucky man.
Who says she supporting my habit? Ever thought she might be the AV nut in the house? :rolleyes:

Her tastes in equipment is way above mine. She's the one who wanted a house with a dedicated home theater. I just help make it happen. Sort of her own personal tech support :)

O

oppman99

Senior Audioholic
Who says she supporting my habit? Ever thought she might be the AV nut in the house? :rolleyes:

Her tastes in equipment is way above mine. She's the one who wanted a house with a dedicated home theater. I just help make it happen. Sort of her own personal tech support :)
That is awesome! :cool:

majorloser,
Thanks for posting your thoughts on the UMC. I was really having a hard time deciding after reading about some of the bugs. I decided to go ahead and get one, figuring I can send it back or unload it fairly easily if I don't like it. Should be here at the end of the week.

majorloser

majorloser

That is awesome! :cool:

majorloser,
Thanks for posting your thoughts on the UMC. I was really having a hard time deciding after reading about some of the bugs. I decided to go ahead and get one, figuring I can send it back or unload it fairly easily if I don't like it. Should be here at the end of the week.
I don't think you'll go wrong. Just take your time and read the directions first. I'd also suggest working out the order of your inputs by grouping your most used items together. If you use the up and down arrows to navigate between the items it becomes much more convienent when you don't have to scroll through rarely used inputs. Also, make sure you watch the videos that Emotiva has on their site to get an idea how to use the EmoQ system.

Waiting till now has saved you the hassle of doing the first major firmware upgrade. Hopefully the next time will be easier for everybody.

U

utopianemo

Junior Audioholic
so you'd go for the 6.2's over the 6.3's? Obviously, the 6.3's are quite a bit more in cost......But I've heard great things about them.

Additionally, would you say that two pairs of ERD-1's are a better way to go than one pair of 6.2's and one pair of ERD-1?

Sorry, I know this is the UMC-1 thread.....Loser, here's a more general question that encompasses the UMC. Mics are sensitive instruments and they're as diverse as speakers when it comes to frequency response. You mentioned some dissatisfaction with the included UMC mic, and I've heard other people elsewhere talk about buying better mics for their own receiver/processor's calibration modes. Since EQ calibrations use the mic for reference, wouldn't using the included mic be necessary? I'd assume it was necessary for Emotiva to factor the mic's own response curve into the calibration routines, and using a different mic in its place would cause the software to improperly tweak the EQ as a result. Am I making sense?

majorloser

majorloser

The 6.3 is a LCR speaker that can be used in all positions along the front. It is quite a bit larger than the 6.2 if space is an issue.

All of you surround speakers should be polar (bi- or di-) configuration for a more diffused rear and side soundstage. I would stick with the ERD-1's for all of the rear and side channels.

As far as the UMC-1 microphone, you cannot go out and buy any microphone for use with it. The EmoQ software has all of the correction factors for the supplied microphone. Before the microphone could be replaced with something different there would need to be a new firmware developed.

I can live with the mic since I don't constantly tweak my system. I'll probably just make up an adapter to use the current mic with a tripod. It's not that big of a deal.

majorloser

majorloser

I haven't loaded the last firmware upgrade, yet. I've been waiting to see what comes out from the first adopters. I've read a little bit about some problems with the last edition. Everything has been working OK for me so far, so waiting a little longer won't really affect me.

But I'll let everybody know how things go when I do finally upgrade to the next firmware release. :)

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
I've loaded the V6 firmware.

The firmware uploading process sure isn't fun. It doesn't completely suck, but it's no cakewalk either. Took me a few tries to get it loaded. The first time I loaded the firmware, something must have been corrupted because I has no sound at all!! I reloaded it and everything was fine.

The new firmware solved my problems of audio dropout from the PS 3, which was my major issue, but my audio dropouts from my cable box have gotten worse. It used to just lose the center channel every once in a while, now it does it almost every time I fast forward or rewind. But I hardly ever watch TV through my system, so this doesn't bother me that much.

Hopefully the next firmware update will get the last few bugs left.

majorloser

majorloser

I have read that one of the best bets for loading the firmware is to do it with Windows in "Safe Mode". This will prevent anything running in the background from throwing off the process.

http://emonatics.com/

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
I haven't loaded the last firmware upgrade, yet. I've been waiting to see what comes out from the first adopters. I've read a little bit about some problems with the last edition. Everything has been working OK for me so far, so waiting a little longer won't really affect me.

But I'll let everybody know how things go when I do finally upgrade to the next firmware release. :)
I got the email that my name came up on the waiting list.
After hearing all this,:eek: I'm wondering if I should put it off for a while?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis