Loser Cinema Emotiva UMC-1

B

bborzell

Audioholic Intern
Mine came with V5. I waited on updating to V6 because I was not experiencing and real deal breakers in performance. I had been listening to SACDs through HDMI and everything was working fine until I decided to hook up the 7.1 analog cables that I had been running with my last pro/pro. I couldn't get M/C analog to work unless I told the OPPO BDP-83 to turn off HDMI audio.

I spoke to Lonnie at Emotiva about the issue and he said he would get back to me. Instead, he released an newer beta version and I loaded it today. M/C analog is back and the OPPO does not have to be in HDMI audio "off" for it to work. There are no audio dropouts and video switching is reasonably quick while speed channel surfing with Dish Network.

Both sound and video quality are outstanding. It even improved my Zone 2 audio performance (8 stereo speaker sets). This is the best deal in a pro/pro available.

Anybody want to buy a very nice Rotel RSP-1066?

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Glad to see its starting to come together - slow going as it may be but at least they are making some headway....

B

bborzell

Audioholic Intern
I wouldn't touch it.
Perhaps there is reasoning behind your comment. If so, I wonder if it is based on actual experience with the UMC-1 or is it simply an a priori tidbit?:rolleyes:

In any case, it's not very informative.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Just read some of my threads, I am hardly ever informative.:eek:

I and many people I know have had issues with Emo amps, if you can't properly build an amp you have no business building something more complicated.
Perhaps there is reasoning behind your comment. If so, I wonder if it is based on actual experience with the UMC-1 or is it simply an a priori tidbit?:rolleyes:

In any case, it's not very informative.

indulger

indulger

Audioholic
ParadigmDawg's Saturday Top 10 To Do List:

1. Wake-up and get up on wrong side of bed.
2. Stretch; Comment to self: "Arn't I just a ray of f*cking sunshine this morning.
3. Eat p*ssed on Wheaties.
4. Log on to forum.
5. Kick Emo in the balls.
6. Slap a couple of Audiophytes and Interns around.
7. Find a monkey and poke him.
8. Look at system and ensure there is no EMO stuff.
9. Kick EMO in balls one more time for good measure.
10. Enjoy rest of Saturday.:D

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Now that's funny.

I did get another Christmas card from Emo last year. They make great cards.:D
ParadigmDawg's Saturday Top 10 To Do List:

1. Wake-up and get up on wrong side of bed.
2. Stretch; Comment to self: "Arn't I just a ray of f*cking sunshine this morning.
3. Eat p*ssed on Wheaties.
4. Log on to forum.
5. Kick Emo in the balls.
6. Slap a couple of Audiophytes and Interns around.
7. Find a monkey and poke him.
8. Look at system and ensure there is no EMO stuff.
9. Kick EMO in balls one more time for good measure.
10. Enjoy rest of Saturday.:D

indulger

indulger

Audioholic
Thanks for not taking offense, I do enjoy reading everyone's posts.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
I installed the new Beta last Friday and it's solved almost all of the problems I had. There seems to be some issue with Dolby Digital over HDMI. I got audio dropout once with a DVD from my PS 3, and I got it once with my AT&T U-verse DVR. But each of these issues only happened once last weekend.

The UMC-1 is getting closer and closer to being truly outstanding.

30PlusRetlaw

Enthusiast
Pardon my stupidity.. What is the UMC-1? a receiver just like Denon, Onkyo, Yamaha and Etc. makes? Or something you add to a receiver. Sorry, I'm new to this.

indulger

indulger

Audioholic
google is your friend. It's a search engine like yahoo, bing, audioholics search icon:rolleyes:

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Pardon my stupidity.. What is the UMC-1? a receiver just like Denon, Onkyo, Yamaha and Etc. makes? Or something you add to a receiver. Sorry, I'm new to this.
The UMC-1 is what is called a pre/pro, basically a receiver without the amps. Separating your amplification from your pre/pro features generally leads to better sound quality.

ratso

ratso

Full Audioholic
its a preamp/processor (or pre/pro more commonly). same concept as seperates in 2 channel stereo (instead of buying a one box "reciever" you buy a seperate power amp and a preamp). in this case, instead of buying a one box AV reciever, you buy the pre/pro UMC (which does all the switching/processing) and a seperate multi-channel power amp.

***edit*** BTW indulger, in the amount of time it took you to type that you could have answered his question and helped keep this board a friendly place. we were all noobs once.

indulger

indulger

Audioholic
I blame it on my mother!:rolleyes: Not generally a bad guy, I was just always taught to research things first, read, and then when there was a something I had a question about that was not answered, I'd ask. But...I did google "UMC-1" 1st prior to posting and the 1st 9 out of 11 hits returned emotiva and umc-1; except for umc1dotcom, which had to do with some mortgage company.:D

30PlusRetlaw

Enthusiast
its a preamp/processor (or pre/pro more commonly). same concept as seperates in 2 channel stereo (instead of buying a one box "reciever" you buy a seperate power amp and a preamp). in this case, instead of buying a one box AV reciever, you buy the pre/pro UMC (which does all the switching/processing) and a seperate multi-channel power amp.

***edit*** BTW indulger, in the amount of time it took you to type that you could have answered his question and helped keep this board a friendly place. we were all noobs once.
Thanks for the explanation.

ratso

ratso

Full Audioholic
I blame it on my mother!:rolleyes: Not generally a bad guy, I was just always taught to research things first, read, and then when there was a something I had a question about that was not answered, I'd ask. But...I did google "UMC-1" 1st prior to posting and the 1st 9 out of 11 hits returned emotiva and umc-1; except for umc1dotcom, which had to do with some mortgage company.:D
haha didn't mean to give you a hard time earlier. i remember a few years back i was reading a column by the "audio critic", peter aczal (i like him but he is a notoriously prickly guy). he has always claimed that all amplifiers that meet a certain set of measurable criteria will all sound the same. i emailed him asking what those criteria were, and he emailed me back to "do my research". i thought that's what i was doing - asking knowledgable people for their insight. google works great for some things, but try googling something like "amplifier measurements" and you will quickly get into pages only an EE can understand. anyways, since then, i have always tried to avoid telling anyone to just google something even if (as you stated) you could probably easily find the answer that way. sometimes it's just better to get a straightforward answer from someone than to try to wade through a wikki page.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Does anyone know what firmware version it's shipping with now?
Do you think they re-flash the units in the USA when they arrive from the factory? I can dream, can't I?:D

B

bhodge

Junior Audioholic
Does anyone know what firmware version it's shipping with now?
Do you think they re-flash the units in the USA when they arrive from the factory? I can dream, can't I?:D
I got an email today stating mine was ready to be shipped:

Your UMC will be shipping shortly! All the units have been installed with latest firmware ( V6.02.11) and have been tested at the factory. In this version we have defined and resolved known issues, but testing is ongoing. I think you will be pleased with performance of the latest firmware; however, this is not the final code.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis