R

Rick330

Junior Audioholic
Thanks to both of you. I read that the Ultras are more a 4ohm speaker than the 35xti's in the review here even though svs says they are 8ohm.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks to both of you. I read that the Ultras are more a 4ohm speaker than the 35xti's in the review here even though svs says they are 8ohm.
Depending on the levels you listen and the cross to the subs, it might be a moot point. Can you list all of your gear?

R

Rick330

Junior Audioholic
Sure.
Denon x3600
Marantz 7055 (5 channel amp to power LCR-only 6-8ohm listed on speaker terminals)
2*PSA xv15 subs
Crossover current sm55s and sm45s at 80hz
7.2.4 config with 4 actual ceiling speakers for Atmos
Volume value goes from 0-98 and I don't really go over 70.
Everything is def tech except for subs. Sounds really good.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Still would help to know why. Also dosen't best by sell the SVS Ultras?
That's right, they do sell the Ultras now. I own Ultras and absolutely love them. I personally prefer them over the Martin Logan's, but YMMV. I'd say give them a listen at Best Buy and if you like them, order from the outlet on their site. You can find some pretty good deals on the ultra bookshelf speakers for $399 a piece. That's a steal for the quality you get with them. They pop up in there fairly often and might have a small blemish that for all intents and purposes is invisible. One of the speakers I got, we never did find the blemish on them.

The nice thing about SVS is, if you don't like them for whatever reason, they will refund you and pay for return shipping. So you're really not risking anything at all. I also love the way they look and have taken one of them apart even. The build quality is outstanding with a fair amount of internal bracing and the crossovers they use look to be much higher quality than the Martin Logan's.

R

Rick330

Junior Audioholic
That's right, they do sell the Ultras now. I own Ultras and absolutely love them. I personally prefer them over the Martin Logan's, but YMMV. I'd say give them a listen at Best Buy and if you like them, order from the outlet on their site. You can find some pretty good deals on the ultra bookshelf speakers for $399 a piece. That's a steal for the quality you get with them. They pop up in there fairly often and might have a small blemish that for all intents and purposes is invisible. One of the speakers I got, we never did find the blemish on them.

The nice thing about SVS is, if you don't like them for whatever reason, they will refund you and pay for return shipping. So you're really not risking anything at all. I also love the way they look and have taken one of them apart even. The build quality is outstanding with a fair amount of internal bracing and the crossovers they use look to be much higher quality than the Martin Logan's.
So interesting. When you say something like that I've seen reviewers like techno dad say the Ultras and d11s are neck and neck basically with a slight edge to the d11s lol. So it goes full circle. I'm starting to think they are all good. I do like hearing every little sound in games and movies so that attracted me to the ML tweeter. Svs has amazing bass but that wasn't important.

R

Rick330

Junior Audioholic
Def tech has a new demand series center coming out soon. Their current centers are the reason I was switching. I don't want to have to plug in my center just to get 5in mid drivers thats ridiculous

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
So interesting. When you say something like that I've seen reviewers like techno dad say the Ultras and d11s are neck and neck basically with a slight edge to the d11s lol. So it goes full circle. I'm starting to think they are all good. I do like hearing every little sound in games and movies so that attracted me to the ML tweeter. Svs has amazing bass but that wasn't important.
Who is the reviewer techno dad?

R

Rick330

Junior Audioholic
Who is the reviewer techno dad?
He's a YouTuber. He had both plus kef and loved the d11s but agree with the guy that said they seem to show off bass because my sm55s seem to do that too.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
He's a YouTuber. He had both plus kef and loved the d11s but agree with the guy that said they seem to show off bass because my sm55s seem to do that too.
Thanks, so a subjective review. The opposition to your purchase is for your benefit FWIW, I'd consider the Ultras if best buy is your only option.

R

Rick330

Junior Audioholic
Thanks, so a subjective review. The opposition to your purchase is for your benefit FWIW, I'd consider the Ultras if best buy is your only option.
Yes I agree it's subjective. You're not worried in my setup them being basically a 4ohm speaker according to audioholics?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Yes I agree it's subjective. You're not worried in my setup them being basically a 4ohm speaker according to audioholics?
If you can list your setup it would help. Need to see where that 4ohm rating comes into play.

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
4 ohm rating is generally not a concern for any setup, especially since you only use 70/98 of the volume.

Your Denon X3600H has enough grunt even if you wanted to crank it further.

Just remember to leave your AVR setting at the factory/8ohm setting.

Also, since you will be crossing over at 80hz or so, this is even less of a concern.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I don't always agree with techno dad, but haven't seen more than a few of his videos. I find the Ultras to be very neutral. Being SVS you might expect exaggerated bass but that's not the case. They have great bass for a bookshelf but it's nice, tight, clean and well balanced. They integrate very nicely with a sub or 2. I also think the tweeter they use is very, very solid. One of the best AL tweeters I've heard. Good detail and not harsh at all. They're a very easy speaker to listen to over long sessions.

Full disclosure: I'm probably the biggest SVS fanboy on this site. I have a 5.2 setup and all of my speakers are SVS Ultras. I started with a pair of bookshelfs and was sold after that.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I don't always agree with techno dad, but haven't seen more than a few of his videos. I find the Ultras to be very neutral. Being SVS you might expect exaggerated bass but that's not the case. They have great bass for a bookshelf but it's nice, tight, clean and well balanced. They integrate very nicely with a sub or 2. I also think the tweeter they use is very, very solid. One of the best AL tweeters I've heard. Good detail and not harsh at all. They're a very easy speaker to listen to over long sessions.

Full disclosure: I'm probably the biggest SVS fanboy on this site. I have a 5.2 setup and all of my speakers are SVS Ultras. I started with a pair of bookshelfs and was sold after that.
Although I voted with William on the ML's I do have to say to @Pogre I did order some Ultra Bookshelves to demo did not keep them FOR NOW still deciding on some stuff but I was very very impressed with them they are exceptional bookshelves

R

Rick330

Junior Audioholic
I don't always agree with techno dad, but haven't seen more than a few of his videos. I find the Ultras to be very neutral. Being SVS you might expect exaggerated bass but that's not the case. They have great bass for a bookshelf but it's nice, tight, clean and we'll balanced. They integrate very nicely with a sub or 2. I also think the tweeter they use is very, very solid. One of the best AL tweeters I've heard. Good detail and not harsh at all. They're a very easy speaker to listen to over long sessions.

That's awesome. They are great guys I live right by their office. I just ge
Although I voted with William on the ML's I do have to say to @Pogre I did order some Ultra Bookshelves to demo did not keep them FOR NOW still deciding on some stuff but I was very very impressed with them they are exceptional bookshelves
I honestly appreciate all of your advice. It's been stressing me out. My employer has perks for best buy so I get a great price.

R

Rick330

Junior Audioholic
As long as the martin Logan's blend well during movies with my def tech ceiling speakers it seems like those win over the d11s.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
You should demo all of them against each other at Best Buy and pick the best one. The SVS Ultra center looks like an excellent center but I haven’t heard it.

Good luck! :)

R

Rick330

Junior Audioholic
You should demo all of them against each other at Best Buy and pick the best one. The SVS Ultra center looks like an excellent center but I haven’t heard it.
Good luck! :)
I went to best buy. They only had the d9's. The Martin Logan's blew them away but it could have been that the Logans are more sensitive so they played louder too. The also didn't have svs on display. It was a magnolia store too.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis