R

Rick330

Junior Audioholic
I already have a 7.2.4 sm55 and sm45s setup. I'm sure there are plenty of choices out there that are better for the money but I wanted to upgrade and these are my two choices.
I was set on getting Martin Logan 35xti's and a 50xti center but people are ripping the 35xti's for a crossover setting in the review comments.
The demand D11's are also a choice and there is a new def tech center that isn't announced yet that matches the demand series.
Since the Martin Logan's are getting ripped on I wasn't sure what to go with. I mostly game and watch some movies but detail is way more important than bass to me as I like to hear every little detail.
Thanks to whoever reads this.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Is there a way for you to demo these speakers? Both brands get pretty wide distribution. No one here can tell you which you will like better. Yes, the crossover on the ML speakers isn't perfect, but you won't find a perfect speaker unless you spend big bucks

R

Rick330

Junior Audioholic
Oh ok. I thought maybe they were saying the crossover was bad for any speaker at any price point. I'm ok with it as long as it's still a great speaker. If you have to spend big bucks I'd assume the demand d11s has similar issues. No I cannot demo them. The store I went to only had motion 30s and demand d9s set up but thank you.

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
I’ve listened to the ML’s and they do a great job of disappearing with their ribbon tweeters while at the same time they are beautiful to look at. My guess is because of their high quality ribbon tweeter they will need a quality sub to keep up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R

Rick330

Junior Audioholic
Thanks guys I appreciate it. The review here was good I just got scared at the comment section. I have really nice subs. I appreciate your time. Whenever I'd read def tech demand series reviews they'd always compare them to elec debuts and a certain kef that I can't remember but they'd never compare them to any Martin Logan in any review.

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
@Rick330 From what I've read on this thread and the ML 35XTi review thread, you are shopping at Best Buy, correct? I was just there a few days ago and listened to the 35XTi and the 60XTi and was impressed by both. I really don't think you can go wrong with the new ML models. I read @shadyJ 's review and he seems to really like them. I would not read too much into the comments - a lot of the folks on here are perfectionist graph readers (not that that is a bad thing) and any deviation sets off their alarm bells.

I've heard the DefTech D11's in the past and, honestly, I enjoyed the sound of the new ML's over them. Another Best Buy option is the Klipsch RP-600M, which I have not heard but is getting some great reviews from some of the major publications (Google Klipsch RP-600M review). Plus, you'll save some $$$ for a better subwoofer!

R

Rick330

Junior Audioholic
@Rick330 From what I've read on this thread and the ML 35XTi review thread, you are shopping at Best Buy, correct? I was just there a few days ago and listened to the 35XTi and the 60XTi and was impressed by both. I really don't think you can go wrong with the new ML models. I read @shadyJ 's review and he seems to really like them. I would not read too much into the comments - a lot of the folks on here are perfectionist graph readers (not that that is a bad thing) and any deviation sets off their alarm bells.
I've heard the DefTech D11's in the past and, honestly, I enjoyed the sound of the new ML's over them. Another Best Buy option is the Klipsch RP-600M, which I have not heard but is getting some great reviews from some of the major publications (Google Klipsch RP-600M review). Plus, you'll save some $$$ for a better subwoofer!
Thanks I really appreciate you taking the time to respond. The store near me only had d9's on display so I couldn't compare. I have two huge PSA subs already.
You're smart to figure out the best buy thing.
A lot of the reviews just look at the speakers as a whole. I know the d11s have good bass response but that's not important to me because of my subs are so good.
Hey only question is I'll still have 4 def tech ceiling speakers. A lot of the Martin Logan in walls/ceiling don't use folded motion tweeters anyway so I'm hoping audyssey blends them ok.

Last edited:
everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I am curious what you liked better about them though? More detail in the highs? That's most important to me as I love little details being a big gamer.
You keep stressing this importance without explaining why you are limited to best buy and these two speakers. If you just want approval of the two, that would be up to your ears when you decide.

My post regarding other speakers in the price range was meet with some standoff, but it was only meant to give you more information. If accuracy is the most important factor in a speaker purchase, I'd broaden your scope.

R

Rick330

Junior Audioholic
Never mind lol. I appreciate you being nice but I asked about two speakers because those are my choices. If I had a choice of any speaker i would have asked about any speakers in that price range. Hope that doesn't sound mean. Thank you to the guy that answered based on what I asked.

R

Rick330

Junior Audioholic

I am curious what you liked better about them though? More detail in the highs? That's most important to me as I love little details being a big gamer.

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
I think the MLs had an overall better presentation. Very dynamic and nice midrange. Yeah, I really enjoyed the highs (very detailed) and it is most likely, as @TankTop5 said, because of the ribbon tweeter.

It just seemed to me that the DefTechs were trying too hard to show how much bass they had. Not an unpleasant speaker by any means - to me the MLs were more refined and yes, detailed.

If appearance is important to you, I think the MLs are a MUCH better looking speaker, especially in white - but that's just me.

As to how well the MLs will integrate with your existing ceiling speaker, I could not say...

R

Rick330

Junior Audioholic
I agree 100 percent and even on the white color. Thanks I owe you one. Great advice.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
First, I believe there are better choices in that price range. That being said I lean toward the MLs. Me personally, I wouldn't want either and would be looking at other options.

R

Rick330

Junior Audioholic
First, I believe there are better choices in that price range. That being said I lean toward the MLs. Me personally, I wouldn't want either and would be looking at other options.
Thanks. What don't you like about the Logans? I thought ribbon tweeters were the second coming.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks. What don't you like about the Logans? I thought ribbon tweeters were the second coming.
I wouldn't say I don't like them. They're not a 'bad' speaker. I just think there are better options. I'm only suggesting widening your search a little bit. Spending that much for a set of speakers and limiting yourself to only 2 manufacturers, neither of which are the usual suspects for recommendations, I think you might be missing out.

R

Rick330

Junior Audioholic
I wouldn't say I don't like them. They're not a 'bad' speaker. I just think there are better options. I'm only suggesting widening your search a little bit. Spending that much for a set of speakers and limiting yourself to only 2 manufacturers, neither of which are the usual suspects for recommendations, I think you might be missing out.
While I appreciate that these are my two choices. Other than possibly Bowers and Wilkins that I need to go with.

F

felipe

Audioholic
Hi Rick330. I see that your choices are either Def Tech or ML. If you like detail, then ribbon tweeters are IMO the way to go. Have you considered Emotiva? Their Airmotiv line has had good reviews...and are less expensive;)...just a thought for ya.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis