Larger screen or oled?

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
I'm currently torn between Samsung 75NU8005 and LG 65B8. I have seen both and the LG oled has superior picture quality when compared to Samsung led. I would like to have 75 inch screen but oled on that size is over my budget. 65B8 is on discount this week and is at same price as 75NU8005. Viewing distance is ~105 inch and usage only for movies in dark room. What would you do and why?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I did go for the larger screen. 120" in the theater is fantastic.

C

Christian P.R.

Enthusiast
Have you look to the samsung qled specially the full array ones like the Q8FN or the Q9FN? Personally i would stay away from oled do to past experience with them having near black crush and burning after a couple of month using an LG C7. Now i have a samsung q9fn and i watch movies and play games in a dark room and after setting it up properly it has a better picture quality than my previous lg C7 with nearly the same deep black as self emisive oled you will literraly has to have specially sensitive equipment to tell the diference in deep black performance. Plus is actually cheaper than the oled.

C

Christian P.R.

Enthusiast
If the Q
Have you look to the samsung qled specially the full array ones like the Q8FN or the Q9FN? Personally i would stay away from oled do to past experience with them having near black crush and burning after a couple of month using an LG C7. Now i have a samsung q9fn and i watch movies and play games in a dark room and after setting it up properly it has a better picture quality than my previous lg C7 with nearly the same deep black as self emisive oled you will literraly has to have specially sensitive equipment to tell the diference in deep black performance. Plus is actually cheaper than the oled.
If the Q9fn is too expensive you can get Q8fn that is really close to the q9fn it just have less local dimming zones for a better price and you can go bigger than oled for way cheeper still having the same picture quality, actually the qleds have better colors that the oled.
Screenshot_20190102-144852_Best Buy.jpg
Screenshot_20190102-144914_Best Buy.jpg
Screenshot_20190102-144808_Best Buy.jpg
Screenshot_20190102-145642_Best Buy.jpg
Screenshot_20190102-145651_Best Buy.jpg

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I’m hoping prices drop in the next couple years. I will want to upgrade from a 65in to an 82in in 2021. Otherwise I will go 75in if prices don’t drop. :)

C

Christian P.R.

Enthusiast
I’m hoping prices drop in the next couple years. I will want to upgrade from a 65in to an 82in in 2021. Otherwise I will go 75in if prices don’t drop. :)
They will drop down specially now that CES 2019 is just arround the corner well they will announce the new 2019 tvs, the 2018 will drop in price to make room for the 2019. So very soon will be the perfect chance to grab one at a huge discount.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

If the Q

If the Q9fn is too expensive you can get Q8fn that is really close to the q9fn it just have less local dimming zones for a better price and you can go bigger than oled for way cheeper still having the same picture quality, actually the qleds have better colors that the oled.View attachment 27646View attachment 27647View attachment 27648View attachment 27649View attachment 27650
All of those models you suggest are 2-3 times the prices of the models I'm looking for. And for that price I would get the 75" oled any day.

C

Christian P.R.

Enthusiast
All of those models you suggest are 2-3 times the prices of the models I'm looking for. And for that price I would get the 75" oled any day.
Im suggesting them because you set you were looking for a 75 in tv like the oled. And the chepest oled that is 75 in si 7k. So plz tell me your budget so i can point you in the right direction for the best tv for your budget. Im just trying to help you do a educated desicion so you only buy once

C

Christian P.R.

Enthusiast
Like i said if now you are looking at a 65" tv still the Q8FN has equally picture quality at a better price. And i dont know if you know this but the lg B8 does not come in 75" if you want a 75" oled you have to jump to the C8 and like i state before the 77" C8 is 7K way more expensive so sorry i tell you that you got that info wrong but, No for the price of the tvs i suggested you cant buy a 77" oled at a 7,000 dollars. Because the tv i suggested you doesnt even cost 5,000. So before you disagree again with me do a more educated research.
Screenshot_20190102-153537_Best Buy.jpg
Screenshot_20190102-153453_Best Buy.jpg

Last edited:
tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Im suggesting them because you set you were looking for a 75 in tv like the oled. And the chepest oled that is 75 in si 7k. So plz tell me your budget so i can point you in the right direction for the best tv for your budget. Im just trying to help you do a educated desicion so you only buy once
If you read the op you would know I was looking for specific 75" Samsung model that costs ~2000$ and like I stated I could get the 65" B8 at same price thus the question size or oleds picture quality as I would need to downgrade size if I went for oled. And even the Q8F at 65" would cost 400$ more than either of said models, yet again I would be either sacrificing size or picture quality.

C

Christian P.R.

Enthusiast
If you read the op you would know I was looking for specific 75" Samsung model that costs ~2000$ and like I stated I could get the 65" B8 at same price thus the question size or oleds picture quality as I would need to downgrade size if I went for oled. And even the Q8F at 65" would cost 400$ more than either of said models, yet again I would be either sacrificing size or picture quality.
I think we have a confusion in here. Size or picture quality, definitly go with picture quality. Now talking about picture quality only but at 65" samsung qled has the same or maybe even better overall picture quality than the oled for a better price with out the risk or image retention or burn in that oled are known for i just posted the best buy prices as of today and the q8fn is 300 dollars cheaper than the oled. So again why are you here asking for help when clearly you have your mind set?? The samsung nu8000 that you susgested has bad picture quality because is not quantum dot so it lacks the wider colorgamut that qled offers, and is an edge lit display that mean you will have bad blooming and terrible deep dark scenes performence. That why full array tvs are better at black levels and that is why im only recomending the q8 and q9 because they are full array. So that is why i recomended the qleds and they are good picture quality at a lower price than oled. And if it happen to be that you still have a better deal on an oled that honestly i would not recomend because of owning a C7 i know the issues they have and they riquiered you to baby sit your tv otherwise it will get damage because is an organic display that will decay the pixels over time (you can google this if you dont belive me) there for il will get damage over time, you can take the price of that oled deal to a best buy and the will honored for you and there fore have a better price with a warranty.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

I think we have a confusion in here. Size or picture quality, definitly go with picture quality. Now talking about picture quality only but at 65" samsung qled has the same or maybe even better overall picture quality than the oled for a better price with out the risk or image retention or burn in that oled are known for i just posted the best buy prices as of today and the q8fn is 300 dollars cheaper than the oled. So again why are you here asking for help when clearly you have your mind set?? The samsung nu8000 that you susgested has bad picture quality because is not quantum dot so it lacks the wider colorgamut that qled offers, and is an edge lit display that mean you will have bad blooming and terrible deep dark scenes performence. That why full array tvs are better at black levels and that is why im only recomending the q8 and q9 because they are full array. So that is why i recomended the qleds and they are good picture quality at a lower price than oled. And if it happen to be that you still have a better deal on an oled that honestly i would not recomend because of owning a C7 i know the issues they have and they riquiered you to baby sit your tv otherwise it will get damage because is an organic display that will decay the pixels over time (you can google this if you dont belive me) there for il will get damage over time, you can take the price of that oled deal to a best buy and the will honored for you and there fore have a better price with a warranty.
I'm not from states so Best Buy prices mean nothing to me. From reviews I can see that oled is still superior for picture quality compared to Q8 and while it is cheaper as well it is no brainer between those options. I have had plasma tv for years without any burn issues even though so many people were scared of the burns. And like stated in op this TV will be used for movies only so burns should not happen at any rate as there wont be any static content. And I know that oled/full array has superior picture quality to edge lit TV but it also comes with a price tag. This TV will also be used in dark room like stated in op so back light can be set to minimum to help get rid of most blooming. And like stated in op this question is more of screen size vs picture quality as these models are now at same price, not about what other options there are as I'm quite aware there are better options than NU8005 if you are willing to pay for it. For this price point these 2 options are best there is available for me and thus the question.

C

Christian P.R.

Enthusiast
You are free to buy either one but im not repeating what i heard in a review im telling you if you buy the oled get a warranty because even if you ise it for movie only that means that the black bar pixels are not going to decae evenly with the rest of the pixles. Meaning that in time i you ever put a full screen picture you will notice a thing line that will divide the picture where the black bars where and that because the organic pixles in the oled panel do degree over time that why the are called organic and is a type of burn in that you will get with an oled. Trust me i had a C7 get a warranty.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

After reading for awhile from various forums it seems to be better to get the screen size with my viewing distance as from that distance the picture quality wont be as big effect as the screen size. And the 8000 series has some really nice picture quality for the price. Will get the TV next week and I have 50 days free test period on it so if I don't like it I can return it for full refund for no reason.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

So I had the Samsung 8 series led for testing, picture quality is really nice with lights on but when you turn lights off the colors look little washed out and there is light bleeding in the corners of the screen. So back it goes even though I really liked the bigger screen size. LG B8 has some really nice colors and no light bleed issue in dark like the Samsung, that was expected tho. I would say that the B8 gets really close to plasma TV's for the picture quality but falls slightly behind. For most of the scenes I would say they are almost the same, but for few scenes I would pick plasma hands down. I think for one scene I actually preferred OLED over plasma. Will see how I start to like it when I have more hours on it.

C

Christian P.R.

Enthusiast
I did told you that the 8000 was not a full array local dimming tv is only edge lit therefore you will have blomming and light bleed. The qled q8 was the way to go with better colors due to the quantum dots and better black performance with even better hdr performance than oled for movies.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
So I had the Samsung 8 series led for testing, picture quality is really nice with lights on but when you turn lights off the colors look little washed out and there is light bleeding in the corners of the screen. So back it goes even though I really liked the bigger screen size. LG B8 has some really nice colors and no light bleed issue in dark like the Samsung, that was expected tho. I would say that the B8 gets really close to plasma TV's for the picture quality but falls slightly behind. For most of the scenes I would say they are almost the same, but for few scenes I would pick plasma hands down. I think for one scene I actually preferred OLED over plasma. Will see how I start to like it when I have more hours on it.
Been reading about customers that purchased LG OLED's and they reporting lots of problems in addition to burn-in. Be careful about purchasing a LG OLED.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis