4K projector w/ 120” screen or 65” OLED tv?

G

GotAudio

Audioholic
So I’m debating getting either one for my home theater. I’m considering the OLED because it will have better picture quality and the projector for obvious reasons. I currently have a 65” 4K Samsung.

I know this is a question I can probably only answer but I wanted some input. The projector set up would be a little bit cheaper than getting the 4K OLED TV.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
So I’m debating getting either one for my home theater. I’m considering the OLED because it will have better picture quality and the projector for obvious reasons. I currently have a 65” 4K Samsung.

I know this is a question I can probably only answer but I wanted some input. The projector set up would be a little bit cheaper than getting the 4K OLED TV.
I used to have this huge setup of massive speakers in my old home with a teeny weeny 55 inch TV up top. It was a very pretty picture

The guys on here made fun of me all the time. It did look funny. Like Harlem Knights when Arsenio Hall and crew are shooting machine guns down the alley. And one guy is popping off this Lil pop gun hand pistol. And everyone just stops and looks at him. Those big bad boy speakers with a pretty but Lil TV on top

I took sh$t about if for about 6 months from these guys Lol. Then I bought a 120 inch 16:9 screen. And I've never gone back to a TV period. Immersion, scale, and in some ways picture quality due to the details you can see on a bigger screen just can't be competed with in my opinion

Course you also need to factor things in room size viewing distance budget and other info before we can give you more advice to help you make a decision with. Such as will this be in a light controlled room or more in a living room area? There are pros and cons to owning TVs or Projectors do you know what they are? What do you watch what type of content movies sports TV a lot of music information like that

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
For me, it was the day about 30 years ago when I walked into a home theater shop and witnessed a PJ and a 120” screen. There was no turning back.

So I was enjoying my SharpVision PJ and 120” screen in my bedroom while I was going to pharmacy school. :D

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
So much of this is about the room you are putting things into and how far you will be seated.

People above have made it clear their love for projectors, which I certainly am on board with, but I also am realistic about when and where a projector is appropriate. Many people go through the long list of things that can be done to a room to make a projector look its best. Throwing a cheap projector into a white room and expecting the best certainly isn't the case. So, do your homework on this. A cheap projector delivers cheap results, so consider spending more to get the black levels which will meet your expectations. A model like the Epson 5050UB goes a long way before the need to step up to Sony or JVC with LCoS technology.

But, when it comes to watching movies, there is no TV on the market which I've seen which doesn't just feel like a 'TV'. My 85" TV is still just a big TV. It doesn't compete or compare to the look and feel of my 161" screen in my basement. Both are great in their own right, but the theater delivers in a way that no TV is capable of.
Which still doesn't mean that it is right for you, your room, or your specific setup.

G

GotAudio

Audioholic
I have my system in my garage. It’s an OK size garage and viewing distance would be about 7-8 feet , maybe a little more.

maybe go 100” instead?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I would carefully draw out the room and take some actual measurements with a tape measure and put them on paper so you know how far your seating distance is, how big the room is, and how much mounting distance you may have to work with. I have a pretty normal two-car garage, and that thing is about 20x20, which is also an 'OK size', but actually a bit smaller than I'd like. So, I'm not sure how you end up seated 6-8 feet in a typical garage sized space.

Average screen size for most home theater enthusiasts is 10" to 12" of screen diagonal for each foot of viewing distance. So, at 8', having a good quality Samsung with a 85" screen will deliver nearly unbeatable quality compared to a projector. Projectors just can't do HDR justice, so you lose something. If your viewing is more like 10' away, then a 120" screen would be far more appropriate and would really give an immersive setup. But, I would struggle if viewing from 8' away to get a 100" screen over a 85" flat panel in most rooms. But, that's my take.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis