KLH Making A Come Back?

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Noticed that Crutchfield is now selling the KLH brand of loudspeakers. They appear to be new in design as well. Perhaps the KLH brand is in rebuilding mode? Here is a link:

https://www.crutchfield.com/shopsearch/klh_speakers.html

I must admit they sure look good. What do you think? Does it look promising for KLH?

Cheers,

Phil

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Some of them tend to favor some of the former Energy speakers, the difference being now sealed instead of ported -- The new owner/designer use to work for Klipsch, when they owned Energy.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah they do look a lot like Energy speakers. Perhaps, we will see good things come out of this. Guess time will tell. Certainly going to be rather interesting.

Cheers,

Phil

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
With regard to their Kendall model, I tend to agree with Zieglj01. I doubt that two 6½ inch woofers would output 25 Hz at -3dB, and if they do, what is the distortion level?
It would take a serious review with appropriate testing to confirm or infirm the published specs.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
With regard to their Kendall model, I tend to agree with Zieglj01. I doubt that two 6½ inch woofers would output 25 Hz at -3dB, and if they do, what is the distortion level?
It would take a serious review with appropriate testing to confirm or infirm the published specs.
Especially in a sealed cabinet. The speaker sensitivity will be difficult to attain as well. At least, that is how I understand it. Moreover, higher sensitivities are easier to obtain in a vented cabinet on less power when compared to a sealed. But, as always I could be wrong. Maybe Dennis or Shady can comment here?

Cheers,

Phil

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Especially in a sealed cabinet. The speaker sensitivity will be difficult to attain as well. At least, that is how I understand it. Moreover, higher sensitivities are easier to obtain in a vented cabinet on less power when compared to a sealed. But, as always I could be wrong. Maybe Dennis or Shady can comment here?

Cheers,

Phil
The Kendall model which I was referring to is ported but KLH specs still look optimistic. I don't think it would be possible to get a decent 25 Hz response in a sealed cabinet with two 6½ inch woofers.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member

Cheers,

Phil
Looks like its a true acoustic suspension speaker, so it might have a response closer to a ported design rather than a typical sealed design. I am guessing the sensitivity specs are optimistic, however. I am curious, though, hopefully I will get a chance to test one sometime.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
The Kendall model which I was referring to is ported but KLH specs still look optimistic. I don't think it would be possible to get a decent 25 Hz response in a sealed cabinet with two 6½ inch woofers.
I thought it was sealed. Oh well, my eyes are not what they used to be......LOL!!! But, I agree 25 hz is beyond optimistic inmho.

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Looks like its a true acoustic suspension speaker, so it might have a response closer to a ported design rather than a typical sealed design. I am guessing the sensitivity specs are optimistic, however. I am curious, though, hopefully I will get a chance to test one sometime.
Hope you do get to check one out soon enough. I know that you have plenty of your plate as it is. Looking forward to your next review. Hurry up will you.........LOL!!!! Just kidding! :p:p:p

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
It looks like the bookshelves are sealed, and the towers are ported

B

BriReeves629

Audioholic
Under new ownership from what I read. The new owner came from Klipsch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
The only difference between a true acoustic suspension design and a plain sealed design is the compliance of the woofer. The AS woofer suspension is very floppy and will rely mostly on the trapped air in the cabinet as a spring to control its motion. I don't see why that would change the roll off rate of 12 dB/octave It's still a sealed box.

B

BriReeves629

Audioholic
Great looking speakers. I especially like the color choice on the Kevlar drivers. I can’t wait to hear them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
The only difference between a true acoustic suspension design and a plain sealed design is the compliance of the woofer. The AS woofer suspension is very floppy and will rely mostly on the trapped air in the cabinet as a spring to control its motion. I don't see why that would change the roll off rate of 12 dB/octave It's still a sealed box.
Dennis,

Indeed, with an acoustic suspension woofer, the roll-off rate will be the same below the system resonance as with an ordinary sealed woofer. The acoustic suspension woofer has a very low fs and depends on the air in the enclosure to maintain it in a proper suspension. That design allowed Acoustic Research bookshelf speakers to have responses below that of other sealed or ported cabinets.
In the late 1960's or early 1970's, Altec Lansing released a model using a 411 woofer, a 15" acoustic suspension woofer which had IIRC an fs of 11 hz. It had to be installed in a 5 cf enclosure to perform at its best. One of my friend's had a pair of those. When you placed it on a table with the cone facing the table, the full suspension was so soft that the cone would fall touching the table. That woofer could easily reproduce some frequencies below 20 Hz.

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
Dennis,

Indeed, with an acoustic suspension woofer, the roll-off rate will be the same below the system resonance as with an ordinary sealed woofer. The acoustic suspension woofer has a very low fs and depends on the air in the enclosure to maintain it in a proper suspension. That design allowed Acoustic Research bookshelf speakers to have responses below that of other sealed or ported cabinets.
In the late 1960's or early 1970's, Altec Lansing released a model using a 411 woofer, a 15" acoustic suspension woofer which had IIRC an fs of 11 hz. It had to be installed in a 5 cf enclosure to perform at its best. One of my friend's had a pair of those. When you placed it on a table with the cone facing the table, the full suspension was so soft that the cone would fall touching the table. That woofer could easily reproduce some frequencies below 20 Hz.
The AS woofer was certainly an important development in its day, although I think some people have an overly rosy view of just how low speakers like the AR3a could go. I've restored a number of the AR3a's (and revised the crossover), and despite the more gentle 12 dB /octave roll off, there wasn't much happening below 40 Hz. The same was true of KLH speakers like the model 5, which I owned for about 20 years. A good ported design can more than match them in a smaller cabinet, and the bass quality can be just as good. Plus, the woofers are a lot easier to manufacture.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Wow! KLH Audio even has a few subs in their repertoire. Unfortunately, there is a lot of competition out there. I do, however, wish them the very best. Here is a link:

http://www.klhaudio.com/product/stratton-12-subwoofer/

The Stratton certainly looks promising. But, in the $800 price range the competition is extremely fierce. However, it will be interesting to see how the Stratton does though.

Cheers,

Phil

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
I'm shocked, shocked I tell you, to learn that a company started by sales guys from Klipsch has exaggerated the specs for their speakers.

On the other hand, the Energy RC series and the subsequent Energy Veritas series each had flaws (different flaws) that hindered what could have/should have been nice speakers. Maybe this time they got the balance right. Third time's a charm?

But those unprotected tweeters will haunt them for years to come. Didn't they learn anything from B&W's experience with unprotected tweeters on the CM and 600 series speakers? B&W learned that lesson the hard way - unprotected tweeters leads to a massive headache of customer calls, returns, and parts replacement.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis