monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
No. One was 1 foot, the other was 1 meter. He was close enough to the speaker that room modes didn't dominate as much.

UPDATE: Steve beat me to it. A$$h0le... xD

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
No. One was 1 foot, the other was 1 meter. He was close enough to the speaker that room modes didn't dominate as much.

UPDATE: Steve beat me to it. A$$h0le... xD
Oh, I didn't catch the meter vs foot. I assumed they were both 1 meter. :D

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
A distortion measurement, also taken at 1', on axis mostly to try and detect any big issues that might result from cone breakup, crossing the tweeter too low, etc.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Great. So what's the take home message here? The Q700 measures better than Q900, or John Atkinson just screwed up with a few measurements on the Q900? :D

...Which brings me to the question: are smaller speakers better? :eek:

I mean the KEF 201/2 measures better than the flagship 207/2...

What if the KEF LS50 & 201/2 measure better than the Blade & Muon? :eek:

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Great. So what's the take home message here?
If nothing else, the Q700 seems to measure well in its own right. I can't really say based on the information that I'm able to collect that it's necessarily better than the Q900. My guess is still that it probably makes a potentially worthwhile trade with the 900, i.e. raw output capability for at least marginally better performance in terms of controlling the breakup of the midrange driver.

...Which brings me to the question: are smaller speakers better? :eek:
I wouldn't make any sweeping generalizations. There tend to be advantages on both sides of the table.

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
My wife uses that line too. There is no day like today I say.
Then you do it! LOL! :p :D

I'm spread pretty thin as it is. I have made too many promises and I can't keep up. Gotta draw the line somewhere! I have a cabinet to design for my speaker that Mr. Murphy is helping with, I have an article I've been writing for AH that needs to be finished, and I have someone on AVS waiting for me to email him the entire Pink Floyd discography. Add to that class and laziness and you have a recipe for disaster! :D

Luckily the cabinet is almost finished, and Gene has been really, really easy going about the article! He's been waiting two months, or so, and hasn't made a peep about it!

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
I have an article I've been writing for AH that needs to be finished
The Impact of Fur Suits On Hearing Acuity
By monkish

Most people are familiar with the fact that human hearing acuity tends to be inferior to many other creatures in the animal kingdom, but few give thought to what might be possible if for a moment we let go of our human ears and become one with our Fursona...

:D

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
Last edited by a moderator:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
No. What does a smaller speaker acomplish that a large speaker does not?
No idea. Less "potential" physical cabinet mass to resonate & diffract? Just guessing. :D

Why would a 201/2 have better measurements than a 207/2?

Potential kinetic energy? :eek: :D

I was not generalizing or stereotyping. :D

The B&W 805D measures worse than the 802D, which measures better than the 800D. So there's really no pattern.

Simply saying could there be some potential advantages of smaller cabinet size in terms of reducing potential physical compromises?

Obviously, the bigger cabinets allow for more volume output.

Last edited:
monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
No idea. Less "potential" physical cabinet mass to resonate & diffract?
Nope. :p The frequency will change, which in some cases can be good, but not enough to matter. Less massive cabinet means higher resonance frequency. We use bracing to cut the cabinet into smaller pieces. This moves the resonant frequency up, and also results in less total vibration since high frequencies don't vibrate as much (More often, yes, but 1khz doesn't move anywhere near the air that 200hz does.) So a smaller cabinet will be a little higher naturally, but we still need bracing and stuffing so who cares?

As far as diffraction is concerned, a smaller cabinet around a driver like the Salk SS12's tweeter baffle will work wonders, but a smaller overall baffle width is sometimes good, and sometimes bad. It depends on the goal.

For example, if i have a xo frequency of 2000hz, i could use a cabinet width that would result in diffraction at that frequency and adjust my xo to handle it. This way i don't have to

1. Use a roundover or passive parts

or

2. Just deal with diffraction.

Sometimes enclosures are intentionally large so that Baffle step compensation can be worked right into the xo. Less passive components, less sensitivity loss. It all depends on the design.

Why would a 201/2 have better measurements than a 207/2?
In what ways does it measure better? FR? Nonlinear distortion? Polar response? Link me to the measurements. :D

Last edited:
monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
On-axis FR +/-2dB.
Off-axis smooth enough?
Distortion great above 200Hz, not great below 200Hz.

So the LS50 has been measured by both Stereophile & NRC.
Have you guys seen the Q100 Klippel? Pretty impressive for such a cheap driver. (Don't forget the KEF are B&M even if they also sell direct. With the standard markup the Q100 only has $110 worth of parts.)

I wouldn't use it as a woofer, but in a fairly cheap 3-way it could be pretty cool!

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
With the standard markup the Q100 only has $110 worth of parts.
Of course if you wanted to buy the driver in bulk, the Q800ds seems to be the way to go since you get 4 of the drivers for $800 retail :D

PS: Still waiting on your article :p

Last edited:
monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
PS: Still waiting on your article :p
And Del is still waiting for a cabinet sketch. :p

This is because 1 week ago my computer **** the bed. Motherboard and processor are fried. I'm going to salvage the parts from my friend's PC, but I came down with the Flu and I didn't want to get him sick. I should get it from him in the next few days.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Well that stinks. Good luck with the repairs, and feel better. And then get back to work :D Any chance on a teaser, i.e. the subject?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis