KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I also found that my R500's benefitted greatly by experimenting with placement. Right now I've got about 17" behind them to the wall. Because I can't spread them apart far enough where they are, when I use them for more critical music listening I have to sit about 5 feet from them. In that position, they are their best and quite stunning given the cost.

For movies, the seating position is much further away and they're just not as good though the R200c does its job well, as do the R100's.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Using my newly acquired X3400H, I was able to try XO 80, 90, 100 and 110, and found with XT32 running, even XO 90 Hz is good, 80 is acceptable but not 60. The Denon actually had the LS50 XO set to either 40 Hz or 60 Hz depending on how I placed the mic. They sound really good now, better than before when I had to use JRiver's parametric EQ for each channel independently in order to get decent sound stage/imaging. My separates are going to be idling for a long time.:(
I read a lot of advice on how to cross them. All of them here in AH. I remember that mostly people would say if you're going to use them for music alone, leave them full range and just add subs. Start with 80 on the subs and go a bit higher or lower if needed. But since the end of this hifi road for me is actually in 2.2 stereo system, I'm thinking of not even pushing the KEF's as low as they are rated.

It is all in the future and still has to be verified. I use Dolby Digital sound processing (one of the presets that suits me the most, for now,) and I honestly think there is a lot of bass in my room. I would very much like to get someone with a mic to measure it without having to buy the mic just for this purpose.

E

<eargiant

Senior Audioholic
I remember that mostly people would say if you're going to use them for music alone, leave them full range and just add subs.
I was expecting that also but that is not the case, I would definitely not recommend it. The LS50 cannot handle a full range signal unless you are in a very small room and keep the spl at or below a moderate level ( =<85dB to be safe). If you don't plan on crossing them and are not going to listen in a true nearfield set-up, I would suggest you consider another model or speaker.

If interested, you can read about my experience with that very issue below.

https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/legacy-studio-hd-vs-kef-ls50.111132/

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I read a lot of advice on how to cross them. All of them here in AH. I remember that mostly people would say if you're going to use them for music alone, leave them full range and just add subs. Start with 80 on the subs and go a bit higher or lower if needed. But since the end of this hifi road for me is actually in 2.2 stereo system, I'm thinking of not even pushing the KEF's as low as they are rated.

It is all in the future and still has to be verified. I use Dolby Digital sound processing (one of the presets that suits me the most, for now,) and I honestly think there is a lot of bass in my room. I would very much like to get someone with a mic to measure it without having to buy the mic just for this purpose.
Overall 110 Hz looks best so I settled on 100 Hz because I have only one sub. I really couldn't tell much of a difference between 90,100 and 110 during a quick back and forth comparison session, but for certain music and in a longer session, I probably could. REQ is really what makes the difference, in my room for sure. That's not just by ears but by eyes as well.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
If interested, you can read about my experience with that very issue below.
Could you simply go ahead and take a wild guess would I ever be interested in anything you have to say about it.

E

<eargiant

Senior Audioholic
Could you simply go ahead and take a wild guess would I ever be interested in anything you have to say about it.
I was just trying to be helpful since I have first hand ownership experience but please, please -suit yourself, go ahead and buy them and run them full-range.

Last edited:
KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
A German distributor apparently beat KEF to the punch today, though KEF America actually leaked it yesterday when for a couple hours KEFDirect.com had the new R2c center speaker available for pre-order. The 2018 KEF R series wasn't to be presented to the public until the Festival Of Sound & Music in London at the end of September.

Everything I've read about it points to this being really close to what the current Reference series puts out. Prices are up about 20% over the previous, and no longer is there a small bookshelf or 8" driver floor-standing model. Instead, the flagship one is a 4-woofer version that reminds one of the Reference 5.

I am falling in love with this one wood finish because of the way they've colored the drivers in a complimentary color. Not shown are the similarly colored grills, which have a large perforation round area over the driver and denser opaque grill cloth over the surrounding areas. Other finishes are piano black and high gloss white, with similarly colored drivers, surrounds and grills. Gone are the bright trim rings. In is constrained-layer damping of the more-heavily braced cabinet, flexible port technology, and multiple improvements to both the Uni-Q driver and the LF drivers. Models will be R8a (Atmos/surround),R3, R5, R7, R11, and R200c.

Can't wait to start seeing reviews and hoping my dealer will get some within a month for me to hear.

Attachments

Last edited:
B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
This link (below) has actual pictures of the speakers in white and in black (unfortunately not actual pics of the walnut finish):

New KEF R Series

I definitely prefer the color-coordinated trim rings over the always-silver-colored trim rings on the current R series.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
That link does show what I meant about the magnetically attached grilles. Pretty cool, and expensive to do.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Officially presented on the KEF USA website! Not yet on the e-commerce site kefdirect.com, but all the good photos, details and specs are posted.

http://us.kef.com/hi-fi-speakers/hi-fi-speaker-series/rseries

I'm smitten with the looks of that warmer walnut finish. The grilles just add to the look. I appreciate the subtle logo rather than the cast aluminum plate, and many other little details. Anxious to see them get out into the field for reviews, and to my dealer for an audition!

TechHDS

Audioholic General
Yeah, it will be interesting to see if KEF can make anything that measure as awesome as the 201/2.
ADTG, any word on price? Flagship? Very interesting speaker, I just did a look see on the cabinet and driver build really nice. Umm may just have a 2nd choice here with their flagship. Nice beefy drivers cabinet build exceptional!

Mike

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
I think I need to audition these when they come available to my local shop. Doub't it I will be upgrading to these from R500 tho.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Pricing seems to be up to 20% higher. The R2c apparently going from $1k to $1,200. The floor standers are going up less, though it seems the top R11 (which replaces the R900) will be the same price as the one it replaces. The R3 stand mount could hit $2k from $1800. The R8a Atmos topper/surround appears largely unchanged from the R50 just adding a different trim ring, losing the cast aluminum logo plate and adding two rear keyhole brackets for wall hanging. The grilles looks classy, and expensive. The plinths looks different too, more artsy.

Last edited:
Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Can't say I'm quite as fond of the new look as you guys (I like the contrast the silver trim rings provide on my rosewood R's). Looks like they're getting some useful improvements at least.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
The R3's look very good to me. Would love to own a set. But, @$2K they are bit out of my price range. Wonder if KEF has any plans to do a redesign of the LS50's? I know that there are the LS50 Wireless and all. But, it would be interesting to see if they had an option for a 6" mid as well. Perhaps, it is in the works.

Cheers,

Phil

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Wonder if KEF has any plans to do a redesign of the LS50's? I know that there are the LS50 Wireless and all. But, it would be interesting to see if they had an option for a 6" mid as well. Perhaps, it is in the works.
Not sure, but I wouldn't count on it. On the 6.5" side, there is the Q350, and the measurements for it on Stereophile don't look half bad. The Revel M16's would also be worth a look if you're interested in trying out a speaker that controls the tweeter's dispersion.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Not sure, but I wouldn't count on it. On the 6.5" side, there is the Q350, and the measurements for it on Stereophile don't look half bad. The Revel M16's would also be worth a look if you're interested in trying out a speaker that controls the tweeter's dispersion.
Thanks Steve as I am fully aware of the Q350's. No doubt Revel is highly regarded. Just figured sooner or later that KEF may come out with a new rendition of the LS50's by using a larger mid. Right now I am much more interested in the new B&W 606's and the Dyn Emit M10's/M20's. Just not able to buy anything right now w/o going into debt. No need for that.:)

Cheers,

Phil

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I see no reason to upgrade the LS50's other than market pressures. They're incredible. At least, mine are. :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis