Just a quick question on the Toslink connection for MINIDSP 4X2HD

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
My digital source is my computer which is currently connected to the AVR VIA optical cable. My question is what do I plug into the toslink as per the photo below from the minds manual?

Screen Shot 2019-01-27 at 6.33.02 PM.png

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
It's either extremely obvious or your question is not phrased fully. Your pc optical cable should plug-in that clearly shows an OPTICAL Toslink connection.

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
It's either extremely obvious or your question is not phrased fully. Your pc optical cable should plug-in that clearly shows an OPTICAL Toslink connection.
I get that but currently it is plugged into the AVR for music... should I unplug it from the AVR and into the minidsp?

OR... I could leave the computer plugged into the AVR via optical cable and get another laptop and plug that into the USB of the minidsp to laptop.......

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Think what miniDSP does - it's sort of pre-processor and where pre-pro goes? Right, between your source and your amp (in your case AVR, hopefully, you have enough analog inputs)
See this diagram:

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
I get that guys but I currently have my computer plugged in to the AVR VIA optical... should i ALSO plug that same computer into the minidsp VIA USB? This is my question. (This means that I have to unplug the optical from the AVR and into the mini dsp correct?)

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I get that guys but I currently have my computer plugged in to the AVR VIA optical... should i ALSO plug that same computer into the minidsp VIA USB? This is my question. (This means that I have to unplug the optical from the AVR and into the mini dsp correct?)
Just for the setup, after you dont need a computer connected.

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
Just for the setup, after you dont need a computer connected.
Yes I read that as well... set up with the USB and then unplug. But should I plug both optical AND usb into the minidsp? After set up, should I plug the optical back into the AVR?

Last edited:
everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Yes I read that as well... set up with the USB and then unplug. But should I plug both optical AND usb into the minidsp? After set up, should I plug the optical back into the AVR?
No it stays with the avr.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Also you need to disconnect the optical from the computer during setup

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
Also you need to disconnect the optical from the computer during setup
Sorry this isn't making sense to me:

The diagram says to plug in a digital source into the minidsp - this is my computer where I play my music..... but you are saying not to plug the computer into the minidsp via optical. I am using the same computer to setup the minidsp to I would ALSO need the usb. I need to send test signals from REW from the computer to the minidsp.... So why wouldn't I plug the computer optical into the minidsp?

I think I am missing something here.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Your avr is the preamp and the computer is connected to it correct? Your computer isnt your preamp so it stays connected to the avr, but during setup you need to disconnect the optical cable.

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
Your avr is the preamp and the computer is connected to it correct? Your computer isnt your preamp so it stays connected to the avr, but during setup you need to disconnect the optical cable.
So then plug nothing into the toslink on the minidsp? Then why does the manual say to plug your digital source into the toslink on the minidsp?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
So then plug nothing into the toslink on the minidsp? Then why does the manual say to plug your digital source into the toslink on the minidsp?
If that is your only source. If your avr had digital out then you would do that.

Your sub out will be the connection via rca

Last edited:
moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
If that is your only source. If your avr had digital out then you would do that.

Your sub out will be the connection via rca
If you're saying to just leave the toslink from computer to AVR connected as is then why does the manual say to plug your digital source into the toslink on the minidsp?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
If you're saying to just leave the toslink from computer to AVR connected as is then why does the manual say to plug your digital source into the toslink on the minidsp?
As I said, it's not your only source. If you want to just have the laptop as your source and preamp, then yes.

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
my laptop is not a preamp..... huh? that doesn't make any sense. Sorry. I appreciate your help but I am having trouble deciphering what you are saying.

my computer is my only source.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
my laptop is not a preamp..... huh? that doesn't make any sense. Sorry. I appreciate your help but I am having trouble deciphering what you are saying.

my computer is my only source.
The digital input is for a digital to digital connection, which your avr isnt. You are analog out of the avr via sub out. You will not be using the toslink for your setup. Just forget that it is there.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis