Just a quick question on the Toslink connection for MINIDSP 4X2HD

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
linkowitz transformer? There are some guides that don't mention the linkowitz transformer and some do... I am guessing that I should use it because I have sealed subs?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
It's a proven piece of work. That's what om using on mine. There is a popular designer that uses it and your driver.

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
It's a proven piece of work. That's what om using on mine. There is a popular designer that uses it and your driver.
Are you using the 2X4HD? Just wondering because it's hard to find instructions for that plugin. The manual has instructions but all of the tutorials, including the one you linked to, uses the 2 or 4 way advanced crossover plugin.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Are you using the 2X4HD? Just wondering because it's hard to find instructions for that plugin. The manual has instructions but all of the tutorials, including the one you linked to, uses the 2 or 4 way advanced crossover plugin.
2x4 and you need to start with the worksheets first, then input the values. Start here

https://www.minidsp.com/applications/advanced-tools/linkwitz-transform?gclid=CjwKCAiAs8XiBRAGEiwAFyQ-etVe7ELi8UbN4l70Kx3-u0mWc6jg03eYp8mF1Z91pzt1_Aa4jk3_PBoC6NIQAvD_BwE

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
Did you use a y sokiiter for the signal?
Not sure what a y sokiiter is? Lol did you mean a Y splitter?

I only have one sub connected to the AVR at the moment and I am using a Y splitter because my AVR only has one sub out. So each end of the Y splitter is going to channel 1 and 2 in the amp.

The minidsp is still in the box.

Last edited:
moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
When inputting Q and F for the linkwitz transformer....I checked on parts express site (since I copied their box) https://www.parts-express.com/denovo-audio-knock-down-mdf-40-cu-ft-subwoofer-cabinet-for-dayton-audio-18-ultimax--300-7089#lblProductDetails

and their site says a 0.73 = qtc and an F3 of 33Hz. .... is this the same as Q and F that the linkwitz transformer requires?

What kind of desired response should I input for Q and F.... F should be maybe 18Hz? What about the Q?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
When inputting Q and F for the linkwitz transformer....I checked on parts express site (since I copied their box) https://www.parts-express.com/denovo-audio-knock-down-mdf-40-cu-ft-subwoofer-cabinet-for-dayton-audio-18-ultimax--300-7089#lblProductDetails

and their site says a 0.73 = qtc and an F3 of 33Hz. .... is this the same as Q and F that the linkwitz transformer requires?

What kind of desired response should I input for Q and F.... F should be maybe 18Hz? What about the Q?
I have to see the driver info not the box. I'll check the math when I'm off work. I always check to make sure.

If you check with a measurement, that would help

Last edited:
moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
I have to see the driver info not the box. I'll check the math when I'm off work. I always check to make sure.

Great thanks! I would check with a measurement but not sure how. Just run a 40 Hz test tone through REW?

Also, I can't seem to turn off the crossover for the sub in the AVR... I've read that if you can't, turn the crossover up to as high as it will go. In my case 200Hz... does that make sense?

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief

Here is the driver information. The box I built is a 4 cft which is slightly larger than the box that is in the file.

Attachments

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Great thanks! I would check with a measurement but not sure how. Just run a 40 Hz test tone through REW?

Also, I can't seem to turn off the crossover for the sub in the AVR... I've read that if you can't, turn the crossover up to as high as it will go. In my case 200Hz... does that make sense?
Close mic full sweep. Then you will need a sweep at the mlp for comparing to the filter. I think the Daytons are pretty close to the published spec. Either way you will be doing some trial and error anyway to get the responce right. Have you filled out the worksheets?

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
Close mic full sweep. Then you will need a sweep at the mlp for comparing to the filter. I think the Daytons are pretty close to the published spec. Either way you will be doing some trial and error anyway to get the responce right. Have you filled out the worksheets?
Okay I will try this weekend and post the results. Regarding the sweep, all I want is the woofer response but a sweep will also include my main speakers... that's not what I want is it?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Okay I will try this weekend and post the results. Regarding the sweep, all I want is the woofer response but a sweep will also include my main speakers... that's not what I want is it?
If you are using hdmi with rew you can select just the sub. If using analog, connect directly to the sub.

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
If you are using hdmi with rew you can select just the sub. If using analog, connect directly to the sub.

I have my computer connect via optical cable to my AVR so no HDMI... I don't think I can connect my computer that has REW to the Crown amp... or can I?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I have my computer connect via optical cable to my AVR so no HDMI... I don't think I can connect my computer that has REW to the Crown amp... or can I?
If you have a mini 3.5 to rca you can. Another option is to turn off the mains and set the avr to stereo.

Which REW setup do you use? USB mic to computer, optical to the avr?

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
If you have a mini 3.5 to rca you can. Another option is to turn off the mains and set the avr to stereo.

Which REW setup do you use? USB mic to computer, optical to the avr?

Yes USB mic to comp and then optical from computer to AVR.... I guess I can just unplug my main speakers as well and set AVR to stereo like you said.

Last edited:
moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
I just see one spreadsheet named "biquad calculation spreadsheet" I downloaded it and what I see in the file versus what is on the webpage VIA screen shot is a little different. This is what I see in the downloaded spreadsheet below. In the file, there are 3 fill in parameters: Freq Q Fs.....

In the webpage, the instructions say "enter the box F and Q as F(0) and Q (0), and the desired F and Q as F(p) and Q(p). However, in the downloaded spreadsheet, there is no f(0) Q(0) and F(p) and Q(p).... Only Freq Q and Fs... So I am not sure what to input? They seemed to have updated the file but not the instructions.

1549030736207.png

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I just see one spreadsheet named "biquad calculation spreadsheet" I downloaded it and what I see in the file versus what is on the webpage VIA screen shot is a little different. This is what I see in the downloaded spreadsheet below. In the file, there are 3 fill in parameters: Freq Q Fs.....

In the webpage, the instructions say "enter the box F and Q as F(0) and Q (0), and the desired F and Q as F(p) and Q(p). However, in the downloaded spreadsheet, there is no f(0) Q(0) and F(p) and Q(p).... Only Freq Q and Fs... So I am not sure what to input? They seemed to have updated the file but not the instructions.

View attachment 28059
I'll check it out. Let's get your gear running and take measurements so we dont get to far ahead. I might have got my sheets form Siegfrieds website I'll check.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis