JBL LSR305 monitors... what do ya'll think of them?

KaatheSnake

KaatheSnake

Senior Audioholic
Hi guys,
I recently got some JBL LSR305 powered studio monitors, and so far I'm liking them okay. There is a ton of bass for 5" speakers, but they are okay for listening. What do you think of these for mixing and mastering analog tape realtime? I want some opinions on these.
Ryan

S

shkumar4963

Audioholic
Hi guys,
I recently got some JBL LSR305 powered studio monitors, and so far I'm liking them okay. There is a ton of bass for 5" speakers, but they are okay for listening. What do you think of these for mixing and mastering analog tape realtime? I want some opinions on these.
Ryan
You are correct. They are ok for listening. They are a little better than a good boombox from the 90s. But not much.

They cost me $99 a piece and I think they are fairly priced at that considering they have a built in amp.

I just could not get clarity out of them. The sound was kind of muddy. And high frequencies were kind of missing.

Also, for whatever reason, they had low SPL when connected to an iPhone headset out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

KaatheSnake

KaatheSnake

Senior Audioholic
You are correct. They are ok for listening. They are a little better than a good boombox from the 90s. But not much.

They cost me $99 a piece and I think they are fairly priced at that considering they have a built in amp.

I just could not get clarity out of them. The sound was kind of muddy. And high frequencies were kind of missing.

Also, for whatever reason, they had low SPL when connected to an iPhone headset out.

I think I'm just going to mix on my really nice Triad speakers and sell those. They sound like live monitors. They're ok. Triad products are AMAZING. My Triads have walnut cabinets, 6" Focal woofers, and original Triad tweeters. Never heard speakers as musical as those!
Ryan

charmerci

charmerci

Audioholic

As I did, go to the hardware store, buy a dowel - a single yard - cut into appropriate lengths and brace the sides and top to bottom. (I just wedged them in.) I also bought non-drying clay and coated the metal baskets of the woofers. Gets rid of the muddy bass and makes them much better. The cheap cabinet is its big weakness.

They are much better than you give them credit - hook up a good front end into them.

charmerci

charmerci

Audioholic
I forgot to add, I also added a thin layer of non-drying clay to port tube. Remove the three screws to pull them off once the back is removed and then on the outside of it which is tucked back into the cabinet.

S

shkumar4963

Audioholic
As I did, go to the hardware store, buy a dowel - a single yard - cut into appropriate lengths and brace the sides and top to bottom. (I just wedged them in.) I also bought non-drying clay and coated the metal baskets of the woofers. Gets rid of the muddy bass and makes them much better. The cheap cabinet is its big weakness.

They are much better than you give them credit - hook up a good front end into them.
That is a great idea. Do you have any pictures? I would like to try it. What kind of non drying clay?

charmerci

charmerci

Audioholic
The clay, I bought this.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0019QZMQQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As for pictures, only of it taken slightly apart - not really useful.

I took it apart and added the clay to the woofer basket (most of it) and around the port tube which comes off the back with three screws which made it easier to do the rest. I added an top to bottom dowel and two side to side dowels that had to fit below the port. I also added a bit of clay on the inside of the back panel that wasn't covered by the D-amp. I used about 2/3rds of a pound of clay for both and the side dowels were 6 1/32" in length.

When you undo the screws on the back, you need to untwist the ties that are holding the speaker wires on either side to pull out the back a bit more. Also, undoing the three screws around the port, detaches it so it's easier to work on it and the rest of the inside. There is a wire connected to the plate amp that is hard to detach so just watch out for that.

S

shkumar4963

Audioholic
The clay, I bought this.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0019QZMQQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As for pictures, only of it taken slightly apart - not really useful.

I took it apart and added the clay to the woofer basket (most of it) and around the port tube which comes off the back with three screws which made it easier to do the rest. I added an top to bottom dowel and two side to side dowels that had to fit below the port. I also added a bit of clay on the inside of the back panel that wasn't covered by the D-amp. I used about 2/3rds of a pound of clay for both and the side dowels were 6 1/32" in length.

When you undo the screws on the back, you need to untwist the ties that are holding the speaker wires on either side to pull out the back a bit more. Also, undoing the three screws around the port, detaches it so it's easier to work on it and the rest of the inside. There is a wire connected to the plate amp that is hard to detach so just watch out for that.
You said that the two side dowels were 6 1/32 inch. How thick were they? Was the top to bottom dowel the same thickness? I will try doing that next weekend.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Enjoy my pair quite a bit, one of the better deals (I think I paid $180 the pr). Just got them to see what the fuss was, don't have a studio tho. I think they're fine in the small guest bedroom they're in. I even pop in there once in a while to listen to something just for the speakers as a contrast to others I use....

charmerci

charmerci

Audioholic
You said that the two side dowels were 6 1/32 inch. How thick were they? Was the top to bottom dowel the same thickness? I will try doing that next weekend.
1/2" should do. Some other audiophile said he never used anything less than 3/4" thick.

KaatheSnake

KaatheSnake

Senior Audioholic
Enjoy my pair quite a bit, one of the better deals (I think I paid $180 the pr). Just got them to see what the fuss was, don't have a studio tho. I think they're fine in the small guest bedroom they're in. I even pop in there once in a while to listen to something just for the speakers as a contrast to others I use....
I think I will use my Triads for my studio. Those JBLs are fine, but not the absolute best.
Ryan

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I think I will use my Triads for my studio. Those JBLs are fine, but not the absolute best.
Ryan
They're just their lowest end of the "studio monitors" they offer....you want a serious JBL monitor try the other end of the line, the M2 :)

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Ryan
For a MSRP of $300, I think the LSR-305's stack up well against the competition.
I have a pair of the new 306 mk. 2's and using a knuckle rap test, the LSR-305 is much more solid sounding than the newer 306 Mk. 2!

S

shkumar4963

Audioholic
For $180 they are not bad considering they also include 4 internal amps.

S

shkumar4963

Audioholic
Just in case you hadn't seen this review http://noaudiophile.com/JBL_LSR305/
Yes. I had read this before buying the speaker. In fact this was one of the reasons that I bought the speaker and for a long time tried to correct anything that I may have been doing wrong because my ears just did not hear the quality that this paper was describing.

After several trials, I gave up. I just can not hear the quality this paper describes. I have several speakers including old ones like Allison, Sony boom box and new ones like kef Q100 and Kef ls50. This speaker sounds worse than all but Sony Boom box. At least to me. But then again I did not pay much for the speaker ($90 per speaker).

I may still take it to JBL repair center to see if there is anything wrong with my speaker. Will update if I do and find anything.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Yes. I had read this before buying the speaker. In fact this was one of the reasons that I bought the speaker and for a long time tried to correct anything that I may have been doing wrong because my ears just did not hear the quality that this paper was describing.

After several trials, I gave up. I just can not hear the quality this paper describes. I have several speakers including old ones like Allison, Sony boom box and new ones like kef Q100 and Kef ls50. This speaker sounds worse than all but Sony Boom box. At least to me. But then again I did not pay much for the speaker ($90 per speaker).

I may still take it to JBL repair center to see if there is anything wrong with my speaker. Will update if I do and find anything.

I'll ask not looking back, is your setup near field or far?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I'll ask not looking back, is your setup near field or far?
Complementary question:
How loud do you listen?

I just had a friend over to blind A-B the LSR-305 vs the new 306 Mk 2.
He concluded the 306 sounded more accurate, and the added bass of the 306 was welcome.

That said, based on the knuckle knock test, it would not surprise me if the 306 had some resonance issues when played loud! However, at medium levels from 8 feet away, it is a good sounding inexpensive speaker.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Complementary question:
How loud do you listen?

I just had a friend over to blind A-B the LSR-305 vs the new 306 Mk 2.
He concluded the 306 sounded more accurate, and the added bass of the 306 was welcome.

That said, based on the knuckle knock test, it would not surprise me if the 306 had some resonance issues when played loud! However, at medium levels from 8 feet away, it is a good sounding inexpensive speaker.

The 306 was a clear improvement!

But I would also add that any of 3 series are at the low end of JBL's active monitors - they sound good at decent foreground levels, but if you want to get loud, you might need to step up to the 7 series.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

Maybe you don't like accurate, which is one thing that's been fairly consistent in what I've read, but am also curious at what volume level/distance from speakers you listened. Not all that familiar with the other speakers you mention, but why did you expect the LSR 305 to be better? They're just inexpensive nearfield monitors after all. What old Allison do you have?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis