JBL LSR305 monitors... what do ya'll think of them?

S

shkumar4963

Audioholic
Complementary question:
How loud do you listen?

I just had a friend over to blind A-B the LSR-305 vs the new 306 Mk 2.
He concluded the 306 sounded more accurate, and the added bass of the 306 was welcome.

That said, based on the knuckle knock test, it would not surprise me if the 306 had some resonance issues when played loud! However, at medium levels from 8 feet away, it is a good sounding inexpensive speaker.
I don't listen very loud. But that was another concern. The specs say that it should be able to produce 102 dB at 1 meter. The best I could get was about 85 dB at 1 meter.

So again not sure why.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

S

shkumar4963

Audioholic
Maybe you don't like accurate, which is one thing that's been fairly consistent in what I've read, but am also curious at what volume level/distance from speakers you listened. Not all that familiar with the other speakers you mention, but why did you expect the LSR 305 to be better? They're just inexpensive nearfield monitors after all. What old Allison do you have?
I am not sure if I like accurate speakers or not. I think I do. I like LS50, Q100 and Allison CD7. I also like Sony Boom box and LSR 305 but they both are a bit muddy. May be it is because of the tweeter they use.

There is nothing wrong with the LSR305. They just don't match the quality described in the above review.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I am not sure if I like accurate speakers or not. I think I do. I like LS50, Q100 and Allison CD7. I also like Sony Boom box and LSR 305 but they both are a bit muddy. May be it is because of the tweeter they use.

There is nothing wrong with the LSR305. They just don't match the quality described in the above review.

Muddy isn't a term I'd use at all and many don't like accurate either. Not sure what quality in the review you're referring to particularly, tho. Where do you have the high frequency adjustment set at?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I don't listen very loud. But that was another concern. The specs say that it should be able to produce 102 dB at 1 meter. The best I could get was about 85 dB at 1 meter.

So again not sure why.

That sounds off, I definitely get more volume than that!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord

So again not sure why.
They definitely should be able to get in the 100dB territory (topping out at 85dB means something is wrong).
Either your measurement device is reading wrong, your source does not have a strong enough signal to properly feed the speakers, or the speakers are defective!

What are you using for the source?
Are the volume knobs on the back of the speakers maxed out? (normally, they should be).

KaatheSnake

KaatheSnake

Senior Audioholic
They're just their lowest end of the "studio monitors" they offer....you want a serious JBL monitor try the other end of the line, the M2 :)
I think those sound pretty good. Sorry for my absence, been really busy.
Ryan

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

S

shkumar4963

Audioholic
They definitely should be able to get in the 100dB territory (topping out at 85dB means something is wrong).
Either your measurement device is reading wrong, your source does not have a strong enough signal to properly feed the speakers, or the speakers are defective!

What are you using for the source?
Are the volume knobs on the back of the speakers maxed out? (normally, they should be).
Yes. That is what I thought. I have use aux out from bluetooth receivers, iPhone headphone out, Galaxy headphone out and aux out from my video projector. Talked with JBL tech support. Will take it to JBL repair facility when I can find time.

For SPL measurements, used several Galaxy (Android ) apps.

The mystery continues.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Yes. That is what I thought. I have use aux out from bluetooth receivers, iPhone headphone out, Galaxy headphone out and aux out from my video projector. Talked with JBL tech support. Will take it to JBL repair facility when I can find time.

For SPL measurements, used several Galaxy (Android ) apps.

The mystery continues.

The apps for SPL measurement should usually be calibrated on your phone, but I always assumed that is a minor deviation, not 15dB! But just to check, 100dB should be about as loud as you'd want to stay in the room.

This link has a list of common sounds and how loud they are :
https://www.hearingaidknow.com/how-loud-is-too-loud-decibel-levels-of-common-sounds-2

S

shkumar4963

Audioholic
I posted the review....
Oh sorry. You had asked what quality in the review....
Not what review ..

Well, the review gave me the impression that these were really good sounding speakers. The writer says "
Well, these sound good out the box. Not in a generic "it makes music good" way, but good on the level of "Compared to everything I've ever heard these sound good."

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Oh sorry. You had asked what quality in the review....
Not what review ..

Well, the review gave me the impression that these were really good sounding speakers. The writer says "
Well, these sound good out the box. Not in a generic "it makes music good" way, but good on the level of "Compared to everything I've ever heard these sound good."
So you thought they didn't sound good? Not sure what you're trying to say based on the review as far as the quality expected, that's not much to go on. From your description I'd wonder if your sources are up to the task of driving them to acceptable levels or perhaps you have a defective set?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis