JBL HP-520 speaker thread. Fun.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
FWIW comparing wattage isn't very useful (unless you also have sensitivity/impedance info to go along with it....).
I’ll have to dig out the info on the old subs and compare but I’d have to say that anything 25 years newer would be better sensitivity and I do believe impedance may be the same but like I said I haven’t dug out the old papers on the jbl’s .

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I’ll have to dig out the info on the old subs and compare but I’d have to say that anything 25 years newer would be better sensitivity and I do believe impedance may be the same but like I said I haven’t dug out the old papers on the jbl’s .
Its just a spec that is just not useful without the rest....unless they're all the same sub with different amps perhaps. Often on a consumer sub there usually won't be much spec outside of the watts to draw the flies in with so to speak :) Subs probably do tend to be 4 ohm generally, but sensitivity does vary with driver IME.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Its just a spec that is just not useful without the rest....unless they're all the same sub with different amps perhaps. Often on a consumer sub there usually won't be much spec outside of the watts to draw the flies in with so to speak :) Subs probably do tend to be 4 ohm generally, but sensitivity does vary with driver IME.
The old subs are 4 ohms can’t find a sensitivity spec only states 120 watt frequency response 23 Hz - 6 db 90-150 hz very little info in the manual 2 inch voice coil also could maybe dig on the internet for more .

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Well they fit best between the bed. Ten inches from wall for now. My recliner is on the other side and fit perfectly. The center will stay behind my head like I've always had it. Gotta order wires, so the Yamaha will fill in duty for now. Phew I'm so tired still one more room. What ya think fellas will have to do for now no choice.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Well they fit best between the bed. Ten inches from wall six feet apart for now. My recliner is on the other side and fit perfectly. The center will stay behind my head like I've always had it. Gotta order wires, so the Yamaha will fill in duty for now. Phew I'm so tired still one more room. What ya think fellas think? Will have to do for now no choice. Stay tuned for pics.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Well they fit best between the bed. Ten inches from wall for now. My recliner is on the other side and fit perfectly. The center will stay behind my head like I've always had it. Gotta order wires, so the Yamaha will fill in duty for now. Phew I'm so tired still one more room. What ya think fellas will have to do for now no choice.
About once a year I roll this whole rig out from the wall a take the backs off each compartment and give it a good dusting check the wires give them a half turn each way and dust the backs of the equipment it does take quite a while and I hate dusting off anything .
My wife got me some little deal that fits on the sweeper hose with a nice brush that get in the nooks and crannies real good I hate moving gear around . Sounds like you got it down kick back enjoy the tunes .

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
About once a year I roll this whole rig out from the wall a take the backs off each compartment and give it a good dusting check the wires give them a half turn each way and dust the backs of the equipment it does take quite a while and I hate dusting off anything .
My wife got me some little deal that fits on the sweeper hose with a nice brush that get in the nooks and crannies real good I hate moving gear around . Sounds like you got it down kick back enjoy the tunes .
Thanks for the advice. I clean the room like every month, so I'll for sure give them a dust down. I got a little vacuum that should work(pictured). Man I'm so tired I couldn't do the next room. It's not too bad in there, but will get to it next week. Just got out from a cool shower. Ahhh :) Here are two pics:
IMG_13052021_184321_(2300_x_1294_pixel).jpg
IMG_13052021_184226_(2300_x_1605_pixel).jpg

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks for the advice. I clean the room like every month, so I'll for sure give them a dust down. I got a little vacuum that should work(pictured). Man I'm so tired I couldn't do the next room. It's not too bad in there, but will get to it next week. Just got out from a cool shower. Ahhh :) Here are two pics:
View attachment 47558View attachment 47559
Hey, that looks like it could work pretty good! Okay, I change my stance. I think they're gonna work pretty nice in there. Your pics convinced me. Hopefully you spend some time in there so you can enjoy them. If you're like me, you'll find reasons to be in the bedroom more often, lol. They won't be off or wonky because they're equal distances from room boundaries, and I think the top ported design would be a plus for corner placement. You have those switches on the bottom to attenuate the bass too, if they get boomy. That's pretty cool. Congrats again on the score!

I love that feeling when you finish a bunch of cleaning and finally kick back to admire your work. It's... uplifting. Especially when you do your kicking back right in between those new speakers so you can admire them too! :)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Those speakers look high end even by today's standards, imo. They look like they're in great shape. I likely would have bought them too.

IMG_13052021_184226_(2300_x_1605_pixel)_copy_690x482.jpg

I just think they look really good in there.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
View attachment 47558View attachment 47559
That’s about right distance and toe in should sound awesome! I never ever come close to a corner loading on these very interesting would like your thoughts on how they sound in corners like that . They look fantastic glad you got the score on these .

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Hey, that looks like it could work pretty good! Okay, I change my stance. I think they're gonna work pretty nice in there. Your pics convinced me. Hopefully you spend some time in there so you can enjoy them. If you're like me, you'll find reasons to be in the bedroom more often, lol. They won't be off or wonky because they're equal distances from room boundaries, and I think the top ported design would be a plus for corner placement. You have those switches on the bottom to attenuate the bass too, if they get boomy. That's pretty cool. Congrats again on the score!

I love that feeling when you finish a bunch of cleaning and finally kick back to admire your work. It's... uplifting. Especially when you do your kicking back right in between those new speakers so you can admire them too! :)
Thank you so much for the kind words Pogre means alot. I listened to it a bit going back and forth watching YT yesterday. The tweeter is stunning to listen to. It's not screech at all. The Soundstage may be the best I heard next to Canton, which they remind of. I was in the living room and only had the volume on medium and felt the bass on my couch. Now that is telling you something as bass was only at 12 position on the Yamaha. I'm at work limping my way through the day.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
That’s about right distance and toe in should sound awesome! I never ever come close to a corner loading on these very interesting would like your thoughts on how they sound in corners like that . They look fantastic glad you got the score on these .
It's about 4 inches from the side walls. 10 inches from the back wall. I may move it 10 more once I get some wires. I can't wait to hook them up to my Pioneers so I can listen to my Vinyls and Movies! Truly to you, Pogre and the other fellows to kick my butt to get them. I'm in love they look so damn classy and space like. Rahaha ha. Joy Joy! ☕ Back to work ya slacker(Me).

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Iam old and hate pain lol .
Yep I'm in my early 50s and everything is more painful as you get older.
I think this is a misconception.
I believe when I smash my thumb with the hammer (or anything like that) this pain (that is totally in your face) is always more painful than any memory of pain could ever be. I think we evolved with a "poor" pain memory or otherwise any woman giving (natural) birth would never do it twice!
So, if you were Benjamin Button, pain would seem to get worse as you got younger.
However, I will argue that the older I am, the dumber I feel when I smash my thumb with the hammer (stump toe, etc)!

Edit: Congrats AL2 on the new speakers, that is the rare kind of deal you only luck into precious few times in life!

Last edited:
Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
I believe when I smash my thumb with the hammer (or anything like that) this pain (that is totally in your face) is always more painful than any memory of pain could ever be. I think we evolved with a "poor" pain memory or otherwise any woman giving (natural) birth would never do it twice!
So, if you were Benjamin Button, pain would seem to get worse as you got younger.
However, I will argue that the older I am, the dumber I feel when I smash my thumb with the hammer (stump toe, etc)!
May I suggest not smashing your thumb with a hammer? :D

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
May I suggest not smashing your thumb with a hammer? :D
The only way I know to do that is not to ever use a hammer,
And ... besides ... if I never smashed my thumb with the hammer, I could not be so grateful for all of those many wonderful times that I didn't smash my thumb! :rolleyes:

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
And ... besides ... if I never smashed my thumb with the hammer, I could not be so grateful for all of those many wonderful times that I didn't smash my thumb! :rolleyes:
One day at a time!

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Sometimes I use small pliers to hold the spike if it is small, the wood is real hard or I've to hammer at an inconvenient angle.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
It's about 4 inches from the side walls. 10 inches from the back wall. I may move it 10 more once I get some wires. I can't wait to hook them up to my Pioneers so I can listen to my Vinyls and Movies! Truly to you, Pogre and the other fellows to kick my butt to get them. I'm in love they look so damn classy and space like. Rahaha ha. Joy Joy! ☕ Back to work ya slacker(Me).
I couldn’t let you pass these up for that price hell Iam in Ohio and I’d of drove down to get that deal on these . Most guys that had any of these took care of them and had pretty high end gear to go with them deal of the year buddy !!

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General

Edit: Congrats AL2 on the new speakers, that is the rare kind of deal you only luck into precious few times in life!
Agreed it seems I do dumber stuff to myself as I get older just last week I was drilling some metal tubing and on the last hole slipped and run the the drill driver bit almost clear threw my hand choice words were spoken for a good 10 minutes and required a stiff adult beverage to regain any composure to finish the job .

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Agreed it seems I do dumber stuff to myself as I get older just last week I was drilling some metal tubing and on the last hole slipped and run the the drill driver bit almost clear threw my hand choice words were spoken for a good 10 minutes and required a stiff adult beverage to regain any composure to finish the job .
The way I read Kew's post is more along the lines of the older you get, the more experience you have so you shouldn't be hitting your thumb with a hammer. So when you do, you feel even dumber because you should know better.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis