Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Samsung S22 Ultra 256GB

Votes: 4 40.0%

• Total voters
Trcu9

Trcu9

Audioholic Intern
It’s time for me to upgrade my Samsung S9+. :D

I can get the Samsung for $1K or iPhone for $1200, so cost isn’t an issue.

Which one would you get and why? :D
Don't buy anything from hack dealers. Beware AH members.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
So far, I'm not very impressed with the iphone 14 pro max. It's very top heavy with the new cameras and lenses. the new operating system I'm not really a fan of. And for some reason when I'm not on wi-fi, loading for everything really sucks. Which was not the case with my 11. I had no issues being on LTE service. Now this phone has true 5G capabilities, but that too is very slow for me. I've read that AT&T, which is my carrier, is one of the worst for 5G but still it shouldn't be this bad. Plus, when I turn off 5G and use 4G it should be very good, but it's not. Can't tell if that's a carrier issue, software issue or chip issue?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
So far, I'm not very impressed with the iphone 14 pro max. It's very top heavy with the new cameras and lenses. the new operating system I'm not really a fan of. And for some reason when I'm not on wi-fi, loading for everything really sucks. Which was not the case with my 11. I had no issues being on LTE service. Now this phone has true 5G capabilities, but that too is very slow for me. I've read that AT&T, which is my carrier, is one of the worst for 5G but still it shouldn't be this bad. Plus, when I turn off 5G and use 4G it should be very good, but it's not. Can't tell if that's a carrier issue, software issue or chip issue?
It depends on location.

For example, about 1/2 mile away from my neighborhood, my 5G got 325 Mbps download speed using the Speedtest app to test AT&T 5G. But in my neighborhood it’s down to 30 Mbps. :eek:

So 325 Mbps vs 30 Mbps within a 1/2 mile distance.

As for Samsung vs iPhone, it depends on our priority list.

I think the only good things Apple has over Samsung are 1) CPU/GPU, 2) Battery life and 3) having the same Message/Text function on both iPhone + iPad.

Other than that, I think Samsung is better than Apple. :D

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Got my Pro max today. Finally. Great phone. The only downside is that now I have to buy a brand-new case and glass protector. The old one from 11 pro max doesn't fit.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I went with a case from Casetify on my 13pro max. Seems a little pricey for what it is, but it has done its job quite well. IIRC, it is the Ultra Impact case... I just bought it in all clear... nothing fancy, no prints.
I do not use a screen protector.

Before this, I swore my Otterbox. But got tired of the 3-piece case and it being so chunky.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I went with a case from Casetify on my 13pro max. Seems a little pricey for what it is, but it has done its job quite well. IIRC, it is the Ultra Impact case... I just bought it in all clear... nothing fancy, no prints.
I do not use a screen protector.

Before this, I swore my Otterbox. But got tired of the 3-piece case and it being so chunky.
Safe to say that most of us here are very careful and won't drop our phones to the extent that it would damage.

But if your phone were ever dropped, wouldn't the screen get scratched without a screen protector if the screen lands directly on the hard surface?

In shopping for my iPhone case, my #1 requirement was the military drop test. But my #2 requirement was the built-in screen protector. My #3 was the MagSafe. I tried to find one that also had (#4) the camera lens sliding cover, but I couldn't find one. So my case covered 3 of those 4 requirements. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Now if the iOS Google Maps could please just add #1) the SPEEDOMETER and #2) Speed Limit Warning Sound, I would be extremely happy. :D

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Safe to say that most of us here are very careful and won't drop our phones to the extent that it would damage.

But if your phone were ever dropped, wouldn't the screen get scratched without a screen protector if the screen lands directly on the hard surface?

In shopping for my iPhone case, my #1 requirement was the military drop test. But my #2 requirement was the built-in screen protector. My #3 was the MagSafe. I tried to find one that also had (#4) the camera lens sliding cover, but I couldn't find one. So my case covered 3 of those 4 requirements. :D
I used a Speck case for my 11 pro max and now using the new Speck Presidio 2 with Megsafe for the 14 pro max. I never use a lens protector. I've never needed one.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Now if the iOS Google Maps could please just add #1) the SPEEDOMETER and #2) Speed Limit Warning Sound, I would be extremely happy. :D
hahah what do you need all that for? You going on a lot of backwoods drives every weekend? :p

My trusty paper state maps do just fine!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I'm a firm believer in apple care for some of this. :) I haven't scratched or cracked a screen ever.
*knocks on wood
I used the Otterbox on phones when I was in the Kitchen all the time... very hostile environment.

But if you land face down on a piece of gravel, I'm really not expecting a screen protector to do much for me. A majority of the damage seems to come from corner and edge drops as I recall (could be wrong).

My biggest complaint is really that the case isn't grippy... I could fix that myself, but I do like a case that won't slide if I set it on my lap. In the end, that's been a very minor issue.

Never felt the need to cover the camera lenses. They are often protected by a raised border on most of the drop resistant cases, anyway, as are the screens to a minor extent.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm a firm believer in apple care for some of this. :) I haven't scratched or cracked a screen ever.
*knocks on wood
I used the Otterbox on phones when I was in the Kitchen all the time... very hostile environment.

But if you land face down on a piece of gravel, I'm really not expecting a screen protector to do much for me. A majority of the damage seems to come from corner and edge drops as I recall (could be wrong).

My biggest complaint is really that the case isn't grippy... I could fix that myself, but I do like a case that won't slide if I set it on my lap. In the end, that's been a very minor issue.

Never felt the need to cover the camera lenses. They are often protected by a raised border on most of the drop resistant cases, anyway, as are the screens to a minor extent.
A few years ago I made the mistake of carrying both S10+ and 11 Pro Max (without a case) in the same jeans pocket. The result is a minor but still noticeable deep scratch on display, which I lived with for the last 2+ years.
This time I'm trying to get a screen protector on it asap.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
hahah what do you need all that for? You going on a lot of backwoods drives every weekend? :p

My trusty paper state maps do just fine!
Hey, I do go outside of Oklahoma! :D

Comes in handy while driving in Texas or California. :D

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
A few years ago I made the mistake of carrying both S10+ and 11 Pro Max (without a case) in the same jeans pocket. The result is a minor but still noticeable deep scratch on display, which I lived with for the last 2+ years.
Fair enough. ;)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I've NEVER had a scratched screen or scratched phone body in my life because I've always used a phone case + screen protector. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I used a Speck case for my 11 pro max and now using the new Speck Presidio 2 with Megsafe for the 14 pro max. I never use a lens protector. I've never needed one.
Who says anything about "NEED"? :eek: Here on Audioholics, we just WANT. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Not sure I am all gung-ho about wireless charging. Had that experience with my old Galaxy S8. It does work but raised temps harmed battery life.
I had good luck with Spigen cases before, thinking this one:
Kind of like AVR heat? :D

I've been using the MagSafe chargers for both home and car for about a week. It might get a LITTLE BIT SLIGHTLY warm. But never really WARM even.

For home MagSafe, I have the Apple MagSafe ($37) and the Anker MagSafe.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis