Intelligent Design ruling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Originally Posted by Buckeyefan 1
-ritual killing of animals, using cattle, sheep and goats (22:19)
Sheep said:
Again you attack me Buck. What did I do? :( :rolleyes:

SheepStar
Honestly, Sheep, I'm not trying to. It's just the name "sheep" appears everywhere I look. I wasn't even thinking of you when I posted this article about gay cowboys...
http://www.hedweb.com/animimag/gaysheep.html

But now that you mention it, it's kinda funny. :rolleyes:
Merry Christmas, and no hard feelings. :)

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Buckeyefan 1 said:
Honestly, Sheep, I'm not trying to. It's just the name "sheep" appears everywhere I look. I wasn't even thinking of you when I posted this article about gay cowboys...
http://www.hedweb.com/animimag/gaysheep.html

But now that you mention it, it's kinda funny. :rolleyes:
Merry Christmas, and no hard feelings. :)
Its for a good chuckle. I can live with it.

SheepStar

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Buckeyefan 1 said:
Just released this afternoon:

A federal judge in Pennsylvania ruled Tuesday that teaching "intelligent design" to public school science classes is unconstitutional, calling the concept that parts of the universe are the result of an intelligent designer "a religious view." -Jill Lawrence, USA TODAY

Full story:
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2005-12-20-intel-design_x.htm

Oh, Buck, you made my DAY:D Thanks.

You may recall that a schoolboard was replaced in PA for forcing the teaching of this sillyness. There is really no intelligence in the designs, no redundancy, etc. but lots of flaws.

I wonder w2ho designed the designer?
How many are there? Why?
irreducable complexity is an oxymoron and a flawed design:D

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Sheep said:
I agree.

Its not Science. Its belief. You can't teach beliefs.

SheepStar
And, it is far from a scientific theory. Cannot even come to bat:D

beliefs belong in philosophy classes:) not in science classes.

Evolution is the bedrock, the foundation of biology. Try physics without gravity.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

furrycute said:
I'm glad that sanity still exists in the good old U.S. of A. For a while I really thought we have lost it with all those religious/political conservatives.

Hey, it is far from over, especially when the leader of the land supports it and is the messenger of the high:D
I hope that that new supreme court leader will come to his senses on this, if it gets to the high court which I have a suspicion that it will, in our lifetime.:eek:

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Buckeyefan 1 said:
So if evolution is a theory, is it really science? We need a DBT on this one. :eek:

Plenty of DBt on this:D
And a scientific theory is the epiphamy in science. Theory of Gravity? Heliocentric theory? Theory of relativity? Atomic theory? Theory of plate movements? And on it goes.
Yes, they are all scientific theories based in evidence, falsifyability, replication ability, etc.:D But you knew all this, so stop teasing us:D

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Clint DeBoer said:
The truth is that there is more science behind the study of intelligent design .

Could you please post some peer papers on this??? And the science behind it?
Irreducable complexity is not one of them, i;llogical, actually and disproves intelligence behind the design?
How many designers? Who designed the designer? Why?

R

Revelator

Enthusiast
Church of the flyting speghetti monster

Excuse me, I just discovered this new belief system on how the earth was created. I'd like to have this taught in the public school science classes. Is there some method or system I can implement that will allow this to be taught to my children? Here's some information on my widely accepted belief system for your consideration.

http://www.venganza.org

Please review this website for the criteria of my new belief system and please ask our freedom of religion Government to allow this to be taught side by side with creationism as I find it equally as pertinent.

Thank you,

Concerned Parent

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Actually, there are 613 commandments found in the Old Testament. God gave 613 commandments to Moses. There are 3 commandments in Genesis, 111 in Exodus, 247 in Leviticus, 52 in Numbers and 200 in Deuteronomy. These included 365 prohibitions -- a number equal to the nominal number of days in the year. Also included 248 positive commandments.
Actually I thought there were 15 commandments and Moses dropped one of the stones while walking down the mountain and hence the 10 Commandments. At least that is what I learned in "The Gods Must Be Crazy" starring Mel Brooks. :D

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Excuse me, I just discovered this new belief system on how the earth was created. I'd like to have this taught in the public school science classes. Is there some method or system I can implement that will allow this to be taught to my children? Here's some information on my widely accepted belief system for your consideration.

http://www.venganza.org

Please review this website for the criteria of my new belief system and please ask our freedom of religion Government to allow this to be taught side by side with creationism as I find it equally as pertinent.
I always suspected this was all a result of Pirates. They should shut down the Pirates of the Carribbean Ride at Disney in protest :D

Personally I am not convinced the little light goes off in the fridge each time you shut the door as a result of a compression switching mechanism. There is no way to prove it since we aren't in the fridge during door closing so there can be no other explaination other than penguins. This is why I always keep a stash of fresh fish in the fridge. I don't want the little critter to go hungry :)

R

Revelator

Enthusiast
Is it true? Event the Catholics are speaking out?

Vatican Astronomer: Intelligent Design is Not Science
By Nicole Winfield
Associated Press
posted: 18 November 2005
02:03 pm ET

VATICAN CITY (AP) -- The Vatican's chief astronomer said Friday that "intelligent design'' isn't science and doesn't belong in science classrooms, the latest high-ranking Roman Catholic official to enter the evolution debate raging in the United States.
The Rev. George Coyne, the Jesuit director of the Vatican Observatory, said placing intelligent design ideas alongside the theory of evolution in school programs was "wrong'' and was akin to mixing apples with oranges.

"Intelligent design isn't science even though it pretends to be,'' the ANSA news agency quoted Coyne as saying on the sidelines of a conference in Florence. "If you want to teach it in schools, intelligent design should be taught when religion or cultural history is taught, not science.''

SPECIAL REPORT
Evolution & Intelligent Design
PART 1
An Ambiguous Assault on Evolution
This Trojan Horse for Creationism has become very popular. But who is being duped? And what does it all mean for morality?

PART 2
'The Death of Science'
Intelligent design is presented as a legitimate scientific theory and an alternative to Darwinism, but a close look at the arguments shows they don't pass scientific muster. So why are scientists worried?

PART 3
Belief Posing as Theory
As evolution takes a beating, scientists remind us of the difference between fact, theory and belief.

PART 4:
Anti-evolution Attacks on the Rise
Each time the effort to introduce creationism into classrooms starts up again, so does legislation aimed against evolution. Learn about the rash of recent cases, plus a look at historically pertinent court cases.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PLUS
How Evolution Works

His comments were in line with his previous statements on "intelligent design'' -- whose supporters hold that the universe is so complex that it must have been created by a higher power.

Critics say intelligent design is merely creationism -- a literal reading of the Bible's story of creation -- camouflaged in scientific language and say it does not belong in science curriculum.

In a June article in the British Catholic magazine The Tablet, Coyne reaffirmed God's role in creation, but said science explains the history of the universe.

"If they respect the results of modern science, and indeed the best of modern biblical research, religious believers must move away from the notion of a dictator God or a designer God, a Newtonian God who made the universe as a watch that ticks along regularly,'' he wrote.

Rather, he argued, God should be seen more as an encouraging parent.

"God in his infinite freedom continuously creates a world that reflects that freedom at all levels of the evolutionary process to greater and greater complexity,'' he wrote. "He is not continually intervening, but rather allows, participates, loves.''

The Vatican Observatory, which Coyne heads, is one of the oldest astronomical research institutions in the world. It is based in the papal summer residence at Castel Gandolfo south of Rome.

Last week, Pope Benedict XVI waded indirectly into the evolution debate by saying the universe was made by an "intelligent project'' and criticizing those who in the name of science say its creation was without direction or order.

Questions about the Vatican's position on evolution were raised in July by Austrian Cardinal Christoph Schoenborn.

In a New York Times op-ed piece, Schoenborn seemed to back intelligent design and dismissed a 1996 statement by Pope John Paul II that evolution was "more than just a hypothesis.'' Schoenborn said the late pope's statement was "rather vague and unimportant.''

R

Revelator

Enthusiast
Recapture your pride in being a Liberal

It has been obvious that over the past few year, the fundamentalists have made it there point to misuse the term "liberal" to the point where most of us feel it necessary to defend our position instead of embracing it. I'd like to set things straight by applying a basic definition from the Webster's dictionary.

Liberal
Adjective
1. Showing or characterized by broad-mindedness; "a broad political stance"; "generous and broad sympathies"; "a liberal newspaper"; "tolerant of his opponent's opinions".

2. Having political or social views favoring reform and progress.

3. Tolerant of change; not bound by authoritarianism, orthodoxy, or tradition.

4. Given or giving freely; "was a big tipper"; "the bounteous goodness of God"; "bountiful compliments"; "a freehanded host"; "a handsome allowance"; "Saturday's child is loving and giving"; "a liberal backer of the arts"; "a munificent gift"; "her fond and openhanded grandfather".

5. Not literal; "a loose interpretation of what she had been told"; "a free translation of the poem".

Noun
1. A person who favors a political philosophy of progress and reform and the protection of civil liberties.

2. A person who favors an economic theory of laissez-faire and self-regulating markets.

Now let's look at the definition of Fundamentalist

fun·da·men·tal·ism ( P ) Pronunciation Key (fnd-mntl-zm)
n.
A usually religious movement or point of view characterized by a return to fundamental principles, by rigid adherence to those principles, and often by intolerance of other views and opposition to secularism.

often Fundamentalism An organized, militant Evangelical movement originating in the United States in the late 19th and early 20th century in opposition to Protestant Liberalism and secularism, insisting on the inerrancy of Scripture.
Adherence to the theology of this movement.

Who is going to argue with the webster's dictionary? I'd rather spend my time arguing and debating the fundamentalists who are attempting to take over our live's.

Screw Rush Limbo and sign me up, I'm a very proud liberal who can question authority, have faith and not follow religion and dictatorship. Amen, I love my position in life. I'm a liberal and I'm free.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
VATICAN CITY (AP) -- The Vatican's chief astronomer said Friday that "intelligent design'' isn't science and doesn't belong in science classrooms, the latest high-ranking Roman Catholic official to enter the evolution debate raging in the United States.
The Rev. George Coyne, the Jesuit director of the Vatican Observatory, said placing intelligent design ideas alongside the theory of evolution in school programs was "wrong'' and was akin to mixing apples with oranges.
It sounds like the Catholics pulled a "Bush" (admitting he went to war on bad intelligence) - they're using reverse psychology to gain acceptance (ya think they need some???). Now if only those Southern Baptists would just jump on the bandwagon. ;)

R

Revelator

Enthusiast
Recapture your pride in being a Liberal

It has been obvious that over the past few year, the fundamentalists have made it there point to misuse the term "liberal" to the point where most of us have needed to defend our position instead of embrace it. I'd like to set things straight by applying a basic definition from the Webster's dictionary.

Liberal
Adjective
1. Showing or characterized by broad-mindedness; "a broad political stance"; "generous and broad sympathies"; "a liberal newspaper"; "tolerant of his opponent's opinions".

2. Having political or social views favoring reform and progress.

3. Tolerant of change; not bound by authoritarianism, orthodoxy, or tradition.

4. Given or giving freely; "was a big tipper"; "the bounteous goodness of God"; "bountiful compliments"; "a freehanded host"; "a handsome allowance"; "Saturday's child is loving and giving"; "a liberal backer of the arts"; "a munificent gift"; "her fond and openhanded grandfather".

5. Not literal; "a loose interpretation of what she had been told"; "a free translation of the poem".

Noun
1. A person who favors a political philosophy of progress and reform and the protection of civil liberties.

2. A person who favors an economic theory of laissez-faire and self-regulating markets.

Now let's look at the definition of Fundamentalist

fun·da·men·tal·ism ( P ) Pronunciation Key (fnd-mntl-zm)
n.
A usually religious movement or point of view characterized by a return to fundamental principles, by rigid adherence to those principles, and often by intolerance of other views and opposition to secularism.

often Fundamentalism An organized, militant Evangelical movement originating in the United States in the late 19th and early 20th century in opposition to Protestant Liberalism and secularism, insisting on the inerrancy of Scripture.
Adherence to the theology of this movement.

Not for nothing but doesn't this sound amazingly familiar with the past six years? I'm proud to admit that I am able to think on my own, and rationalize my belief system and thoughts.

Screw Rush Limbo and sign me up, I'm a very proud liberal who can question authority, have faith and not follow religion dictatorships. Amen, I love my position in life. I'm a liberal and I'm free. If we could only say the same for our entire country then this thread would be absolutely nonsense as it was only six short years ago under a different Government.

R

Revelator

Enthusiast
Actually, the Southern Baptist's have jumped on the bandwagon reputing the fundamentalists. All you have to do is read a detailed book on loosing our values written by an famous president who is a devoted southern Baptist and listen to his views on fundamentalists and how they have infiltrated our society over the past six years.

runninkyle17

runninkyle17

Audioholic
So if intelligent design is to be taught in history or philosophy classes and evolution is to be taught in science classes there is still a problem.

Evolution is a SCIENTIFIC THEORY. It is not a scientific fact like most teachers claim. This is a BIG problem. When teachers go to the extreme of calling evolution the foundation of biology is where I get a little angry. The foundation of biology is when life began. For some of you out there the beginning of life is the Big Bang, for others (including me) it is the creation of life by God.

Students should be taught both theories. Yes, I said BOTH theories. They should be able to make the decision themselves as to which one they want to believe. Teachers have no right whatsoever to deprive students of the right to make their own belief choices.

Some will say evolution is not a religion; however, it can be argued that to believe in evolution does require a certain amount of faith.

I am sure that I have angered plently of people with this post, so at that I will stop. Merry Christmas everyone!

R

Revelator

Enthusiast
Volacons

Hey, no problem. I agree, make it be taught in public school, just one thing, I want my child to hear about Scientology too as would Tom Cruise, John Travolter and many other important people who follow this philosophy. Please professor, put this in school too. Or would we like to be more like the taliban and present only one perspective and proclaim it as the only truth?

This story is the core belief in the religion known as Scientology. If the people Scientology tries to recruit knew about this story, I don't think they would ever get involved. This story is told to Scientologists when they reach a higher leveI. If the people in Scientology at the lower levels knew about this story, I don't think they would would stay on the Scientology hamster wheel. It is a road to total something, but not freedom.

75 million years ago, there was an alien galactic ruler named Xenu who was in charge of 76 planets in our part of the galaxy, including our own planet Earth, whose name at that time was Teegeeack.

All of the planets Xenu controlled were over-populated by, on average, 178 billion people. Social problems dictated that Xenu rid his sector of the galaxy of this overpopulation problem, so he developed a plan.

Xenu sent out Tax Audit demands to all these billions of people. As each one entered the audit centers for the income tax inspections, the people were seized, held down and injected with a mixture of alcohol and glycol, and frozen. Then, all 1.4 trillion of these frozen people were put into spaceships that looked exactly like DC8 airplanes, except that the spaceships had rocket engines instead of propellers.

Xenu's entire fleet of DC8-like spaceships then flew to planet Earth, where the frozen people were dumped in and around volcanoes in the Canary Islands and the Hawaiian Islands. When Xenu's Air Force had finished dumping the bodies into the volcanoes, hydrogen bombs were dropped into the volcanoes and the frozen space aliens were destroyed.

However, Xenu's plan involved setting up electronic traps in Teegeack's atmosphere which were designed to trap the souls or spirits of the dead space aliens. When the 1.4 trillion spirits were being blown around on the nuclear winds, the electronic traps worked like a charm and captured all the souls in the electronic, sticky fly-paper like traps.

The spirits of the aliens were then taken to huge multi-plex cinemas that Xenu had previously instructed his forces to build on Teegeack. In these movie theatres the spirits had to spend many days watching special 3D movies, the purpose of which was twofold: 1) to implant into these spirits a false reality, i.e. the reality that WOGS know on Earth today; and, 2) to control these spirits for all eternity so that they could never cause trouble for Xenu in this sector of the Galaxy. During these films, many false pictures were implanted into these spirits, which resulted in the spirits believing in all the things that control mankind on Earth today, including religion. The concept of religion, including God, Christ, Mohammed, Moses etc., were all an implanted false reality that to this very minute is used to control WOGS on earth.

When the films ended and the souls left the cinema, they started to stick together in clusters of a few thousand and remained that way until mankind began to inhabit the earth. Today on earth all the spirits of these aliens have attached themselves to our bodies and are the root cause of the false reality that all but Scientology's OT 8's on earth experience. It is the job of all Scientologists to remove this false reality from the world by auditing each and every space alien spirit and human on earth to CLEAR not only this planet but the universe. For those who oppose Scientology and stand in their way like the LMT and all Scientology critics, Scientology promises to do away with them "quitely and without sorrow".

I have calculated that on average, each person on planet earth has 2,314 of these Body Thetans (BT's for short), Hubbard's term for the alien spirits, causing you and all mankind to be constrained by Xenu's false reality. The average cost for Scientology to OT 8 is a mere USD 360,000, meaning that each BT only costs USD 155.57 to clear. Now that is a bargain if there ever was one.

Hubbard never said the overall cost to the planet would be cheap, but let's examine it. The planetary cost equation is as follows: 1.4 trillion spirits times USD 155.57 equals a mere USD 2,104,550,960,000. Just think about it -- USD 2.2 quadrillion -- ****, that's enough to keep Rear Admiral Miscavige and Marty in casino chips for a long time.

As for Xenu, the Loyal Officers of the Marcab Confederation finally discovered how evil he was and overthrew him. He is now locked away in a mountain on one of the planets and kept in by a force-field powered by an eternal battery. Several of Xenu's relatives can often be found on ARS.

In fact I know people who have sat in a room at the Sancastle building in Clearwater, Florida for 5-7 hours per day, holding two asparagus cans together, attached to a lie detector, talking all day to these dead space aliens. And guess what? You'll never ever finish talking to dead space aliens until you leave Scientology.

Last edited:
R

Revelator

Enthusiast
Hindu creation views

Please professor, add this to my child's Curriculum. I just moved here from another country and enjoy the fact that the US school systems provide alternative languages for education. I'm not sure why these same schools only teach one form of creationism in a country that was founded on freedom of religion. I don't want my child to grow up without the same faith that my people have followed for thousands of years.

A Hindu Creation Story
There are several creation stories in Hinduism. Hinduism believes there are times when the universe takes form and times when it dissolves back into nothing. The in-between times are known as the days and nights of Brahma, who is the Hindu god of creation.

The Hindu Symbol, Om

Before time began there was no heaven, no earth and no space between. A vast dark ocean washed upon the shores of nothingness and licked the edges of night. A giant cobra floated on the waters. Asleep within its endless coils lay the Lord Vishnu. He was watched over by the mighty serpent. Everything was so peaceful and silent that Vishnu slept undisturbed by dreams or motion.

Vishnu

From the depths a humming sound began to tremble, Om. It grew and spread, filling the emptiness and throbbing with energy. The night had ended. Vishnu awoke. As the dawn began to break, from Vishnu's navel grew a magnificent lotus flower. In the middle of the blossom sat Vishnu's servant, Brahma. He awaited the Lord's command.

Vishnu spoke to his servant: 'It is time to begin.' Brahma bowed. Vishnu commanded: 'Create the world.'

Brahma,

God of Creation

A wind swept up the waters. Vishnu and the serpent vanished. Brahma remained in the lotus flower, floating and tossing on the sea. He lifted up his arms and calmed the wind and the ocean. Then Brahma split the lotus flower into three. He stretched one part into the heavens. He made another part into the earth. With the third part of the flower he created the skies.

The earth was bare. Brahma set to work. He created grass, flowers, trees and plants of all kinds. To these he gave feeling. Next he created the animals and the insects to live on the land. He made birds to fly in the air and many fish to swim in the sea. To all these creatures, he gave the senses of touch and smell. He gave them power to see, hear and move.

The world was soon bristling with life and the air was filled with the sounds of Brahma's creation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis