Intel brief not allowed?

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
To Management/moderators/administrator/whatever:

You need to get rid of the 'Dumb' avatar, it only antagonizes people. I recommend a new 'Disagree' avatar.

While I disagree with Irv on some points he made, I don't think he's 'dumb' by any stretch. It's just a different opinion, that's all.

Let's agree to disagree and keep things civil. It's one of the reasons that this countries polarization is as bad as it is.

Just my 2 cents

Last edited:
Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
I feel so bad for your disfunctional state of affairs.
You think you feel bad, you should try living here right now. :D

I text often with my cousins in Europe and if I have to answer one more time to 'WTF is going on over there? Have you lost your minds?' I'm gonna blow my brains out (being hyperbolic).

It's embarrassing. I liked it when they were jealous of our stability. Now they're just flabbergasted and laughing at us.

Having said that they still want us to be stable, with NATO and our economic integration. This hurts them too.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
To Management/administrator/whatever:

You need to get rid of the 'Dumb' avatar, it only antagonizes people. I recommend a new 'Disagree' avatar.

While I disagree with Irv on some points he made, I don't think he's 'dumb' by any stretch. It's just a different opinion, that's all.

Let's agree to disagree and keep things civil. It's one of the reasons that this countries polarization is as bad as it is.

Just my 2 cents
To be fair, I gave @lovinthehd a dumb reaction first to post #40, and then he retaliated. Personally, I don't care how many dumb reactions I get, I figure it's just part of life in The Steam Vent. And, we weren't calling each other dumb, we were referring to the posts. Well, at least I was. Nonetheless, Ponzio, I appreciate the support.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Actually, isolationism is what a lot of Americans wanted well before Trump was elected. The same with anti-immigration policies. The list goes on. What we have now are two parties focused on their voter bases, and they’re not even trying to represent diverse constituencies. Trump was just the first one to make targeting his base his laser focus. Everyone else Is a political enemy. I’ve got news for you, 3db, in my lifetime the US has always looked like a political mess. Turning on our allies is just a new isolationist twist, and obviously a really bad twist.
I have news for you Irv. This political mess in the past is a walk in the park to what is happening now. But hey, if you put Trump back in because hes Republican, than thats your wasted vote. You get to enjoy watching your country self desintegrate and rip itsef apart.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
To Management/administrator/whatever:

Just my 2 cents
Something like this?

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
You need to get rid of the 'Dumb' avatar, it only antagonizes people.
A One Click People Antagonizer does serve a valuable function, imho.
Nothing beats the red chicklet system of old though.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
My take is that if the Democratic party had stayed just left of center rather be infiltrated with the so-called progressive candidates (like Sanders and Warren), and especially at the urban center level (mayors, city council people, state legislatures), the disgust with Trump and his ardent followers would have delivered one of the most lop-sided victories of the last hundred years to the Democrats in the presidential and congressional elections. Unfortunately, the progressive movement's anti-personal property stance, its universal pro-union positions, focus on wealth taxes, the clumsy and inexplicable economic restrictions due to the pandemic in some Democratic states, and the de-fund police movement (which is associated with Democrats) is not sitting well with small business owners and individual landlords. The SBA estimates there were about 31 million small business owners before the pandemic, and HUD estimates over 10 million individual landlords. More than corporate and government employees, these two groups are deeply invested in private property rights, and they despise high taxation rates and income redistribution. Knowing a good number of these people personally, my worst fear now is that many of these 40+ million voters and their families will vote for Trump and the Republicans, because they feel their livelihoods and philosophies are being threatened by the progressives. The progressives are called "The future of the party". Threaten anyone's livelihood and they'll fight against anything that threatens it, even if those things are a benefit to society as a whole. Like the UAW arguing against electric vehicles. Or the teachers' unions arguing against charter schools. Lately I'm worried that we might be in for an unpleasant surprise in November, and not only will Trump win but surprise everyone by winning the electoral and popular votes by a decisive factor. I can't imagine his obnoxious ego and divisiveness with a perception of an electoral mandate.
Pretty well nailed it. Tell people they stand to lose some or all of what they worked for and they usually won't be in favor of it.

Trump is gaining support from non-Whites, too. That will definitely play a large part in this election.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Who searches "AOC future of the party" for general information about the democrats positions? Is that like research on the republicans by viewing "stephen miller future of the republican party"? :) I gotta respect AOC than most republicans, tho...
Really? Telling people to refuse to work, tax at high rates that won't be tolerated and will affect people on the Left and constantly tell people to do things that are unreasonable?
You think you feel bad, you should try living here right now. :D

I text often with my cousins in Europe and if I have to answer one more time to 'WTF is going on over there? Have you lost your minds?' I'm gonna blow my brains out (being hyperbolic).

It's embarrassing. I liked it when they were jealous of our stability. Now they're just flabbergasted and laughing at us.

Having said that they still want us to be stable, with NATO and our economic integration. This hurts them too.
Nobody wants to fight someone who's crazy.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I have news for you Irv. This political mess in the past is a walk in the park to what is happening now. But hey, if you put Trump back in because hes Republican, than thats your wasted vote. You get to enjoy watching your country self desintegrate and rip itsef apart.
I grew up in the 1960s and early 1970s, and the US was an incredible political mess in that period. The Vietnam War, numerous anti-war protests, race riots, Jim Crow laws, pollution out of control, Kennedy nationalizing the Alabama National Guard to desegregate schools in that state... the list is endless. What's happening today is not worse. As for keeping Trump in the White House, I hope not.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Pretty well nailed it. Tell people they stand to lose some or all of what they worked for and they usually won't be in favor of it.

Trump is gaining support from non-Whites, too. That will definitely play a large part in this election.
And when F?cktard gets in, he's gonna step on the non whites AGAIN and use inflamatory remarks to further promote his hatred towards the non whites, much of what he's doing now.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I grew up in the 1960s and early 1970s, and the US was an incredible political mess in that period. The Vietnam War, numerous anti-war protests, race riots, Jim Crow laws, pollution out of control, Kennedy nationalizing the Alabama National Guard to desegregate schools in that state... the list is endless. What's happening today is not worse. As for keeping Trump in the White House, I hope not.
While I agree that what's happening isn't worse, what is worse is what Trump is trying to do to our democracy. If he really is trying to Putin is and go president for life and allow his moronic offspring to just pick up where he leaves off, that, to me, is much worse than anything we've seen before.

He has been allowed to fire most anyone who tries to do their job and call him out on his activities. He's blatantly trying to meddle in this election. He used the White House as a re-election prop and nobody seems to care.

Laws don't matter much if nobody enforces them. The President should be held to the highest standard, not the lowest.

That, above all else, is why he needs to go.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
While I agree that what's happening isn't worse, what is worse is what Trump is trying to do to our democracy. If he really is trying to Putin is and go president for life and allow his moronic offspring to just pick up where he leaves off, that, to me, is much worse than anything we've seen before.

He has been allowed to fire most anyone who tries to do their job and call him out on his activities. He's blatantly trying to meddle in this election. He used the White House as a re-election prop and nobody seems to care.

Laws don't matter much if nobody enforces them. The President should be held to the highest standard, not the lowest.

Yeah, I always believed that the checks and balances of our system would prevent this from happening.
The problem is that this system only works well if the president has some sense of honor and ethical integrity.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan

I already said I think Trump should go. As for being elected for life, he can't do that without a Constitutional amendment (the 22nd amendment prevents it). Have you ever read the process for amending the Constitution? It's amazing that it's ever been done.

Unfortunately, he's not just "allowed" to fire people on his staff, he has legal authority to do it. The US Presidency is an office almost designed for misuse, one could reasonably say.

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
Yeah, I always believed that the checks and balances of our system would prevent this from happening.
The problem is that this system only works well if the president has some sense of honor and ethical integrity.
Which means that checks and balances don't work. It's the equivalent of leaving your door unlocked at night. "Honest people won't let themselves in and steal my stuff."

It's an impossible system to fix. We'd have to have an independent, completely non-partisan, investigative and judicial force instituted, which could investigate, arrest, try, and sentence any politician, up to and including POTUS. I wouldn't mind that one bit, but how do you keep it independent and non-partisan?

All we have now is impeachment, which is bullshit. When you hear senators admit on television that they know the president is guilty of a crime but it's not a big deal, then the system has no teeth.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I already said I think Trump should go. As for being elected for life, he can't do that without a Constitutional amendment (the 22nd amendment prevents it). Have you ever read the process for amending the Constitution? It's amazing that it's ever been done.

Unfortunately, he's not just "allowed" to fire people on his staff, he has legal authority to do it. The US Presidency is an office almost designed for misuse, one could reasonably say.
I agree, obviously, but he's been allowed to do all sorts of things that any other President would have been out of office for. They could very easily just ignore the constitution. That's why I said that laws don't matter if they aren't enforced. Same applies to the constitution. I don't think it will happen, but I do think he'll try.

I have another theory that if he gets re-elected, the GOP will re-impeach him and kick him out of office. Enough of them are done with him that they might think that's a good idea. Win win for them, no Trump, but they still hold the White House.

Same for the Dems if he gets re-elected. If they win both the House and Congress, they wont hesitate to get rid of him. Apparently a lot of GOP districts are pissed and plan to vote them out of Congress. At least, that's what the internet said.

So, if I'm right, we might not be totally screwed.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
It's an impossible system to fix. We'd have to have an independent, completely non-partisan, investigative and judicial force instituted, which could investigate, arrest, try, and sentence any politician, up to and including POTUS. I wouldn't mind that one bit, but how do you keep it independent and non-partisan?
You mean a separate federal government body with the ability to ignore due-process and the rest of the Constitution, and would have the ability to threaten and ultimately control any politician? Nah. I'd rather just make what we have work.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I agree, obviously, but he's been allowed to do all sorts of things that any other President would have been out of office for. They could very easily just ignore the constitution. That's why I said that laws don't matter if they aren't enforced. Same applies to the constitution. I don't think it will happen, but I do think he'll try.
I'm not worried about that. I'm worried that he might get a decisive victory in the legitimate election.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
...I have another theory that if he gets re-elected, the GOP will re-impeach him and kick him out of office. Enough of them are done with him that they might think that's a good idea. Win win for them, no Trump, but they still hold the White House. ...
The GOP members of Senate quite simply does not have the moral character, much less a backbone, to impeach Trump. By now that should very clear, I think.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis