Integrated amp w/ HT bypass for mains and sub

• Thread starter TheloniousEllington
  • Start date
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
He advised earlier

"I say the percentage, because it also shows a bar index on my avr as I turn up the volume, so it looks to be around 65-75% of the way up to push the speakers. DB wise, it's about -15 to -10. Maybe around 70-75 db from my reader on the phone."
Thankyou. Dam!! I'm in the low 80s at those volume levels and I'm sitting 7 to 8 ft away. The OP needs to look at his impedance selector setting as well as that ECO mode. Thats running my towers full range without sub.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thank you Peng, you have been very kind and helpful. I'll get the rca to xlr cables from ghent or March. I also spoke to Warren from VTV. He said they will work fine. Also, I asked about the voltage difference that others have suggested wouldn't work; he said he hadn't come across or heard from a customer an issue with my line/type of receiver not being able to push the power amp. So, all I need is to save a little!

Hope you have a great weekend. Thanks again!
I am glad Warren told you that.:) There is a major misconception out about the claim that using RCA to XLR cables would result in 6 dB lower gain but that is totally false. An amp's gain is the same as it doesn't even know what's at the end of the preamp's output.

It is true that if you have a preamp that has both unbalance/RCA and balanced/XLR output, then if you use the RCA output you will get 6 dB lower voltage than if you use XLR output. So if you use an AVR that does not have XLR outputs, you may not have enough voltage to drive the Hypex amps to their rated output voltage.

That is why I have been emphasizing the first important step when considering which power amp to use is to figure out your actual power need, if you want to make sure your preamp has enough voltage. In your case, the RX-A1080 will not be able to take full advantage of the NC502MP (based on the ASR measurements), but I think this has been covered earlier and you must know that already, that if and when you do need much more power than you do now, then it will have to upgrade the AVR, or use those Cleanbox thingy, that to me, would defeat the purpose of acquiring a power amp such as the NC502MP that offers exceptionally low THD+N.

T

TheloniousEllington

Junior Audioholic
Sorry everyone. I was hit in a car crash a few weeks ago and have had to take care of too much...

T

TheloniousEllington

Junior Audioholic
Thankyou. Dam!! I'm in the low 80s at those volume levels and I'm sitting 7 to 8 ft away. The OP needs to look at his impedance selector setting as well as that ECO mode. Thats running my towers full range without sub.
I checked both the impedance and the eco mode. Eco mode was off (it would also dim the display) and the impedance is at 8 ohms. Maybe the Kef ls50s need more power for the volume I'm trying to get... Thanks for your input and help.

T

TheloniousEllington

Junior Audioholic
I am glad Warren told you that.:) There is a major misconception out about the claim that using RCA to XLR cables would result in 6 dB lower gain but that is totally false. An amp's gain is the same as it doesn't even know what's at the end of the preamp's output.

It is true that if you have a preamp that has both unbalance/RCA and balanced/XLR output, then if you use the RCA output you will get 6 dB lower voltage than if you use XLR output. So if you use an AVR that does not have XLR outputs, you may not have enough voltage to drive the Hypex amps to their rated output voltage.

That is why I have been emphasizing the first important step when considering which power amp to use is to figure out your actual power need, if you want to make sure your preamp has enough voltage. In your case, the RX-A1080 will not be able to take full advantage of the NC502MP (based on the ASR measurements), but I think this has been covered earlier and you must know that already, that if and when you do need much more power than you do now, then it will have to upgrade the AVR, or use those Cleanbox thingy, that to me, would defeat the purpose of acquiring a power amp such as the NC502MP that offers exceptionally low THD+N.
Yes, I'm glad to know from Warren and you that my rx-a1060 will be compatible with the VTV Purifi Eigentakt eval-1. I'm glad you cleared that up. I know some have said they would upgrade the Kef LS50s to something better instead, but I figure I have only about 1400 to spend right now, so I'll get this out of the way and in the future, I'll upgrade my speakers. I appreciate the help.

B

Brian8383

Audiophyte
There is some bad advice in this thread. There are many great sounding integrated amps with plenty of power with home theater bypass.

Three I'm considering are Hegel H390, Michi X3 and Rotel RA-1592 Mkll. 250 watts @8ohms for the Hegel and 200 @ 8ohms for the Rotel and Michi.

Sent from my LE2127 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis