Integra DTC-9.8 Three-Zone Preamplifier/Processor Introduced

C

cbraver

Audioholic Chief
So how does all this technology sound in practice?

"Amazing. I can hardly express how happy I am with the sound of this unit. For those of you who have ever sat though a professional demo in a controlled environment, you know the feeling when the hair on the back of your neck stands up, and you think, "I wish my home setup was this good!" The Integra DTC-9.8 can help get you there."

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...07-part-1.html
Nice find, I'll read it later!

Here is a working link:
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_14_4/integra-98-ssp-12-2007-part-1.html

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
That looks like quite the review....

Might be what Im looking for in a Pre/Pro... I'll have to keep my eyes open to this unit.. see how things pan out...

T

tposs01

Audiophyte
Sounds like this is the right processor for me. I waded through, ahem, quite a few posts on another board and did not find answers to a couple of questions I have. People here seem to still be helpful, so thought I would ask:
1) When was the 9.8 made to work with Audyssey Pro?
2) Can you do internet radio streaming or play files from a networked computer? From the product description I do not see where this is an option, but maybe was added via firmware? Not that this is a huge deal, just curious.
3)How are firmware updates handled and what of interest has been added?

Thanks in advance.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
1) When was the 9.8 made to work with Audyssey Pro?
So far it is just promise. It was supposed to be released to installers but I have not read anywhere that it is out for this model or the 885.
2) Can you do internet radio streaming or play files from a networked computer? From the product description I do not see where this is an option, but maybe was added via firmware? Not that this is a huge deal, just curious.
This model does not have play-for-sure. It does have an RJ45 (Ethernet jack) and you can view the ip in a browser. For what I have read this is for Crestron and AMX control and will not take commands like an RS-232.
3)How are firmware updates handled and what of interest has been added?.
The latest firm ware was released on CD. You had to call Onkyo and sign a waiver to do the install yourself. It was done through the RS-232 connection and not an internet based update. The firmware added the REON controls for noise reduction, contrast, tint, brightness and fixed a black level issue when using the REON to scale. All models now are coming with the 1.04 firmware so if you are waiting it should come with the update installed.

Have you ordered this from a dealer yet?

T

tposs01

Audiophyte
Highlander, thank you for the info.

I have not yet ordered but planned to do so. The dealers in my area are ones I am not familiar with, so I was planning to do some shopping over the holidays. I suspect if demand is what everyone says there is not much room to negotiate on price.

I have long wanted and Anthem, but this integra model appears to work just fine for me! I need to find a way to hear it first however. I know how the Anthem sounds with my Paradigm speakers. I will be mating to a Rotel amp, fyi. It's 5 channels, so maybe, just maybe, I will add a 2-ch amp and a couple of more speakers and have 7.1.

Do you have one or thinking/planning to order? Ah, i see you have the Onkyo version.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Glad I could help. I did not have an Integra dealer close to me and the ones I called did not seem that helpful. I ended up going to the Onkyo Pro website and found a dealer in NJ was willing to ship to me and gave me an amazing price. If you are willing to look at that model as well PM me and I will give you their info and the price I received.

If you are into 2-channel it should be noted that the 885 has both the pure mode and direct mode while the 9.8 only has pure. I am more into movies and multi channel music so I am not one to speak on these modes but there is info over at avs in the 885 thread.

V

verik1

Audiophyte
highlander could you pm me that info on the onkyo? thanks.

V

verik1

Audiophyte
I haven't posted enough so i can't pm back but thanks for the quick reply and that's a good deal.

M

Metalkyle86

Audiophyte
does anyone know how many volts are out put through the pre outs?

T

tposs01

Audiophyte
Highlander, please PM me with onkyo info when you have a chance. I'm too much of a noob to send them! I plan to go with the 885 over the 9.8. I still listen to a lot of 2-channel and plus I prefer the onkyo look. Not sure there are any real differences between the models anyway other than cosmetics and the 2-channel mode.

You have any lip-sync issues? I am concerned given much of my viewing is TV from a cable box...

THANKS...

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
PM sent.

I have no lip-sync issues but I am using the REON for scaling which seems to make a huge difference. From what I have read it seems more issues come from older dvr's. I am using s-video/analog for my SD sat signal, HDMI for Blu-ray & HD DVD and component/coax for a DVD recorder and have no issues.

T

tposs01

Audiophyte
Awesome, thanks for the info.
I wonder how much of the lip-sync issue is something blown out of proportion... Of course I'll probably have it something terrible. hahaha.
I have looooong wanted an Anthem and by all accounts, this meets my needs. Looking forward to getting one.

T

tposs01

Audiophyte
Video connection question:
My TV is an older, but still fantastic, pioneer elite RPTV. It does have DVI, but i find things look better through component. Will the 885 upscale and output through component? I plan on adding a blu ray soon, but am waiting a bit longer on a new tv with HDMI. Or, perhaps I go with the DVI connection provided there are no issues with HDMI->DVI.
Thoughts anyone?

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
No problem.

Which Paradigms do you have? I am going to demo the Studio 40 and 60 in the next month or so.

It will upconvert to component but not upscale unless you use HDMI. Try the HDMI-DVI and see how it looks. The REON does a great job. I use the DVI in on my TV due to a needed firmware update to get the HDMI connection to do 1080p.

Last edited:
T

tposs01

Audiophyte
Studio 100s v3. LOVE them. Would like to hear and possibly upgrade to v4. The studios absolutely rock. People come over and see big speakers, but have no idea just how loud and clean they play music/movies/sound. Rotel does a find job of driving them I might add...

E

erick.s

Junior Audioholic
I finally picked mine up today. Ordered on 9/7, so it took three and a half months roughly to come in. I have no video source as yet (looking for pjs), but I'll use it in two channel mode for now. My dealer only got one after all that time.

T

Tee-HTF

Audioholic Intern
I finally picked mine up today. Ordered on 9/7, so it took three and a half months roughly to come in. I have no video source as yet (looking for pjs), but I'll use it in two channel mode for now. My dealer only got one after all that time.
Congrats!

While you are looking for video sources add the Panasonic DMP-BD30 to you list, you are going to love DTS-HD MSTR!

J

jlahk

Audioholic Intern
Can anyone recommend a good 5 channel amp to use with the 9.8?

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Can anyone recommend a good 5 channel amp to use with the 9.8?
What is your budget? What speakers are you driving?

Emotiva is coming out with the XPA-5 that will be 699 and 200x5. They also have on sale the IPS-1 which is a 7 channel (use the extra 2 for your zone 2) and it is 150x7 and under a grand on sale.

Rotel, Anthem, Outlaw are all others that I would have models to fit your requirments. You could also go with a group of monoblocks.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis