Integra DTC-9.8 Three-Zone Preamplifier/Processor Introduced

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
I'm not a video-processing expert, but this seems to be the breakdown for chips found in consumer grade equipment.

1. Silicon Optix Realta: S-Marts top of the line! Realta will scale to 2560x1600p, can handle less common cadences such as 6:4 and 8:7, and supports noise reduction on HD signals

2. Silicon Optix ReonVX: There is essentially no difference in deinterlace and scaling performance between the ReonVX and Realta. But the: ReonVX is limited to 1920x1080p and only supports noise and block reduction on SD.

3. Faroudja DCDi: a very solid performer, but has been known to cause macro blocking issues when mated to some displays. This problem may not be an issue with the newer chipsets from Genesis, but I haven’t found any information to suggest otherwise.

However, it all comes down to how well the manufacture implements the chipset in their product. Which adds another set of variables to consider besides just the processor that is used in a particular product.

IMO
Any idea where the Gennum GF9350 VXP™ from the Anthem AVM50 fits into this grand scheme or the Freescale DSP 56367 from the AVM 30/40?

edit - I just found this site with an overview of the Silicon Optics HQV processor used in the Integra.
http://www.hqv.com/technology.cfm
It doesn't look like they went cheap on this thing, unless somebody that knows better tells me otherwise.

Last edited:
TRT

TRT

Junior Audioholic
I too would be very interested in a comparison between one of the Denon receivers as pre-pro vs the DTC-9.8. Based on price point, it would be between 3808/4308 and the 9.8.

Mike
Well for one, The Integra's use a Reon HQV that scales to 1080p. Neither Denon will do that.

TRT

TRT

Junior Audioholic
TRT,

When you get yours let us know. I read on your posts in the avs forum that you are also getting a MPS-1. I have an MPS and am very interested in this pre/pro and would like your thoughts on the combo. I am probably going to wait until Emotive puts out their new pre/pro this fall but it will be hard for them to beat the specs on this.

Thanks.
I agree on the specs. The MPS is in a ship on the ocean enroute. Who knows where my 9.8 is. My cables are being held by customs at the port of Seattle. I'm spending more time chatting with AVS, Audioholic and other forum members then I am listening to music.

Last edited:
adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
The MPS is in a ship on the ocean enroute. Who knows where my 9.8 is. My cables are being held by customs at the port of Seattle.
You are a very patient person. I go crazy when I pre-order stuff. When I make the decision to buy something after all the research I do it drives me nuts to then have to wait for it. And you've been waiting a month for the amp and how many weeks for the 9.8:(.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
I spoke to my nearest Canadian Integra dealer. The DTC-9.8 launches in Canada September 1 with a list price of $2,200. Didn't hear that? That's right $2,200 Canadian dollars for this thing on a U.S. retail price of $1,600. At current exchange rates, this should be about $1760 Cdn, but I'd expect more around $2000. Man, talk about getting boned for being born on the wrong side of an imaginary line. Onkyo, you suck.

By way of comparison:
Denon AVR2307CI US $799/Cdn $1010 +26%
SVS PB12-Plus Rosewood US $1049/CDN $1299 +24%
Integra DTC-9.8 US $1600/Cdn $2200 +38%

I think I will wait and see what new products Emotiva has to offer at the AH convention in Clearwater. I hate being shafted for being Canadian.

TRT

TRT

Junior Audioholic
You are a very patient person. I go crazy when I pre-order stuff. When I make the decision to buy something after all the research I do it drives me nuts to then have to wait for it. And you've been waiting a month for the amp and how many weeks for the 9.8:(.
The jury is still out on how many weeks. Talked with my dealer yesterday. He didn't have anything new for me. The 9.8 is MIA.

B&W700guy

B&W700guy

Banned
Beware!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:mad:BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NO REON PROCESSOR CONTROL OR AUDYSSEY PRO SOFTWARE….READ. NOTE: AUDYSSEY PRO WAS PART OF THE DTR-9.8 SPEC ON THE INTEGRA WEBSITE…..

“The DTR-8.8 has a Picture Control Menu that gives the user control over the Reon processor. The Onkyo TX-NR905 also has this...it was clearly a "last minute" addition for the Onkyo unit, as the manual does not have this feature in it. They threw an addendum with that info into the box!

Also, contrary to previous reports, the Audyssey Pro software is not compatible with the DTC-9.8. It is compatible with the DTR-8.8.”

I canceled my 9.8 order!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

T

tdeluce

Audioholic

NO REON PROCESSOR CONTROL OR AUDYSSEY PRO SOFTWARE….READ. NOTE: AUDYSSEY PRO WAS PART OF THE DTR-9.8 SPEC ON THE INTEGRA WEBSITE…..

“The DTR-8.8 has a Picture Control Menu that gives the user control over the Reon processor. The Onkyo TX-NR905 also has this...it was clearly a "last minute" addition for the Onkyo unit, as the manual does not have this feature in it. They threw an addendum with that info into the box!

Also, contrary to previous reports, the Audyssey Pro software is not compatible with the DTC-9.8. It is compatible with the DTR-8.8.”

So the 905 will have Reon control, pre-outs, and everything else the 9.8 has for the same or less money?

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
“The DTR-8.8 has a Picture Control Menu that gives the user control over the Reon processor. The Onkyo TX-NR905 also has this...
Can you expand on the benefits of this picture control menu and the effect of not having such control?

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Video processor control

Sometimes features on the video processor (edge enhancement, noise reduction, etc.) can limit the video performances with a perticular display, source, etc. By having access to all of the features on the Reon HQV you can maximize its performance on your display. However, on a high end chip like the Reon, the default settings will probably have excellent results for >99% of users.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks jcPanny,
I was kind of hoping that B&W700guy would detail which features the other units have processor control over that the Integra doesn't. He seems quite upset over the issue. Some of these features may not matter to me, if it's adjusting screen shape for pj's, etc.

I'm just now starting to explore video issues, which processor does what and which is better. But I just pulled the trigger on an Algolith Flea-HDMI that I hope will fix up my most glaring issues with compression artifacts and blocking.

TRT

TRT

Junior Audioholic

B&W700guy lines up to punt away his 9.8----there goes the snap------It's a fake!!!! B&Wguy is at the fifteen, the ten, the five-------He Re-ordered the 9.8!-------Touchdown!!!!!

A

alexsound

Audioholic
Remember...Buy Smart, Buy S-MART
"YA GOT THAT !!!" Now I swear, if any one of you primates, so much as touches me................."

Sorry, couldn't help it. I had to finish the quote. This is my second favorite movie....ever.

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
OK, where can I purchase one of these?
I actually prefer online or mail order if available.
I'm in Sherman, TX.

Integra has introduced the THX Ultra2 Certified DTC-9.8, an exceptionally versatile audio-video preamplifier / processor designed to meet the complex needs of system integrators and custom installers. This three-zone processor features HDMI v. 1.3a switching, HQV Reon-VX video processing, complete 7.1-channel processing including onboard decoding for lossless and HD audio formats, and an extensive suite of multizone/multisource and system integration control features all at a suggested retail price of just $1,600.

Discuss "Integra DTC-9.8 Three-Zone Preamplifier/Processor Introduced" here. Read the article.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
"YA GOT THAT !!!" Now I swear, if any one of you primates, so much as touches me................."

Sorry, couldn't help it. I had to finish the quote. This is my second favorite movie....ever.
Hee, hee! I love that movie.

"I'll swallow your soul!!!"

"Come get some."

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
OK, where can I purchase one of these?
I actually prefer online or mail order if available.
I'm in Sherman, TX.

Integra has introduced the THX Ultra2 Certified DTC-9.8, an exceptionally versatile audio-video preamplifier / processor designed to meet the complex needs of system integrators and custom installers. This three-zone processor features HDMI v. 1.3a switching, HQV Reon-VX video processing, complete 7.1-channel processing including onboard decoding for lossless and HD audio formats, and an extensive suite of multizone/multisource and system integration control features all at a suggested retail price of just $1,600.

Discuss "Integra DTC-9.8 Three-Zone Preamplifier/Processor Introduced" here. Read the article.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis