Integra DRX-8.4 11.2CH Flagship AVR Better than Denon?

D

dlaloum

Full Audioholic
It is interesting to consider some Onkyo history... around the time they purchased Pioneer, they dropped Audyssey, and introduced AccuEq (rebranded MCACC on Onkyo/Integra gear).

Clearly Onkyo thought MCACC was a match for Audyssey.... the market / buyers thought otherwise, and it cost them quite a bit of market share I believe... Hence their ultimate decision to go with Dirac (audyssey is now on an exclusive arrangement with D&M/SU)

But some long time Pioneer fans, have sworn about the capabilities of the more advanced versions of MCACC for a long long time.... and perhaps they are not wrong.

I do think Dirac brings something more to the table - based on my own comparison with my Integra 3.4 - but the difference is far from chalk/cheese.... and depending on the individual room and speakers, it well might swing towards MCACC.

With DLBC and Dirac ART it is probably a whole different ball game - but that is a different category.

I just hope Onkyo/Integra/Pioneer do enable the RZ70/8.4/LX805 for Dirac ART, when it becomes available in October.... it should be a game changer.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It's all relative - I was surprised how good MCACC/AccuEq was.

On the other hand - my mains are pretty good, and the room doesn't make the struggle - so it is always a matter of additional detail rather than dramatic changes.

The dialogue is something that has been troubling me for years, and Dirac has made dialogue a lot more intelligible - which is interesting - I was expecting changes in the bass, when where it really made a difference was in the midrange. - So much for limiting roomeq to below 500Hz!
Do the before vs after FR graphs look very different between Dirac vs AccuEq vs Bypass?

P

Pace

Audiophyte
Ended up upgrading my TX-RZ1100 to the TX-RZ70 and while I would've preferred to continue with the class D platform, this amp seemed to have a very nice feature-set for the price. Local retailer offered me a nice deal where they gave me just 470 euros less for the 1100 than I originally paid for it 6 years ago.

Dirac Live works really nice and addresses the main issue I had with AccuEQ; I actually like the way my speakers sound (KEF R700/R300 + 2 Arendal 1723 Subwoofer 3); except for the room modes in lower frequencies, so allowing me to select which frequencies I want to correct is a fantastic feature.

Another issue I was a bit worried was the heat due to class AB, but turns out the new amp uses a bit less power with no sound compared to the TX-RZ1100 (75W vs 90W).

Only issue I currently have is that the recognizing the signal through eARC is quite a bit slower, but hopefully this can be addressed with upcoming software updates; or maybe a setting I just haven't stumbled across yet.

Dmantis10

Dmantis10

Audioholic
The new Integra DRX-8.4 AVR ($3,200) is the most exciting AV receiver from the company in years. With 11 channels of Class AB amplification tipping the scales at 50lbs and rated at 150 watts/ch, along with a host of high-end features, it might be the best value in the world of high-performance home theater. Highlights include audiophile grade ESS Sabre DACs, Dirac Live, available Dirac Live Bass Control, and Roon Ready certification.

One can't help but to directly compare this new Integra DRX-8.4 to the upper end Denon and Marantz AVRs. Unlike D&M, there is no charge from Integra for Dirac Live support and Dirac Bass Control is an upgrade option currently supported by Integra but not the others.

View attachment 61250

Our previous bench testing of Integra DRX-4.3 showed the amp section wasn't well suited for 4-ohm loads compared to similarly priced Denon or Marantz receivers. But, the new DRX-8.4 seems to be built to rock as you can see by the very large power supply and two pairs of dual heatsinks.

Integra has put the AV receiver market on notice by jamming so much performance and features into a single box for around $3k. Are you ready to take the plunge?

Read: Integra DRX-8.4 11.2CH Flagship AVR Better than Denon?
I selected this AVR over the Denon and Marantz models. I also selected it over Anthem and everything else on the market for a few reasons.
1- Rock solid sound quality. It's so clear effortless and widely dynamic it's pretty amazing on how it performs. Not to say others I have tested don't sound great but this thing I feel stands itself apart from the rest.
2- Setup , So clear and easy to follow setup menus. Never did I feel I had to search around for what I needed to do. Everything is logically laid out in a very well thought out structure. I'm very pleased with this.
3- Connectivity , it has everything I need and honestly more than I'll probably ever use. I mean you don't see balanced connections on AVRs often if ever. It's pretty rare. Is it necessary? No but if you want to add amps to your front L C R and want to use Balance connections, you can. Same goes with your Subwoofers , you can add 2 Balanced connections which in this case makes sense. The distance some of your subwoofer runs might be, having balanced isn't a bad idea. They shield better then unbalance RCA coaxial connects. Again not really necessary but it some cases it could benefit.
4- Control , perfect IP IR or RS232 control. Integra has always favored the custom market and I think they do it better then everyone.

Overall, I think Integra hit a home run with this AVR. It's probably way more then most need which you can easily step down to the 5.4 and have everything you possibly could need or want. But this thing packs a bit more punch and to me sounds more open wide and silent in-between the sounds. There is a very low noise floor with this thing. I really like what I hear when I use it. I'm extremely happy with it and I have owned the likes of Rotel , NAD , B&K , Parasound , Pioneer Elite, Yamaha , Denon and Marantz. Which all have had their place here. The Integra DRX8.4 in todays market to me is a masterpiece.

D

dlaloum

Full Audioholic
I selected this AVR over the Denon and Marantz models. I also selected it over Anthem and everything else on the market for a few reasons.
1- Rock solid sound quality. It's so clear effortless and widely dynamic it's pretty amazing on how it performs. Not to say others I have tested don't sound great but this thing I feel stands itself apart from the rest.
2- Setup , So clear and easy to follow setup menus. Never did I feel I had to search around for what I needed to do. Everything is logically laid out in a very well thought out structure. I'm very pleased with this.
3- Connectivity , it has everything I need and honestly more than I'll probably ever use. I mean you don't see balanced connections on AVRs often if ever. It's pretty rare. Is it necessary? No but if you want to add amps to your front L C R and want to use Balance connections, you can. Same goes with your Subwoofers , you can add 2 Balanced connections which in this case makes sense. The distance some of your subwoofer runs might be, having balanced isn't a bad idea. They shield better then unbalance RCA coaxial connects. Again not really necessary but it some cases it could benefit.
4- Control , perfect IP IR or RS232 control. Integra has always favored the custom market and I think they do it better then everyone.

Overall, I think Integra hit a home run with this AVR. It's probably way more then most need which you can easily step down to the 5.4 and have everything you possibly could need or want. But this thing packs a bit more punch and to me sounds more open wide and silent in-between the sounds. There is a very low noise floor with this thing. I really like what I hear when I use it. I'm extremely happy with it and I have owned the likes of Rotel , NAD , B&K , Parasound , Pioneer Elite, Yamaha , Denon and Marantz. Which all have had their place here. The Integra DRX8.4 in todays market to me is a masterpiece.
I stepped all the way down to a 3.4...

However, I expect Dirac ART will in due course become available for the 8.4, and at that point, I will be looking to upgrade. (Note: 3.4 with external 440W@8ohm power amps...)

Dmantis10

Dmantis10

Audioholic
Nothing at all wrong with the 3.4, it's a wonderful model. I was gonna get he 5.4 but I couldn't resist the 8.4

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis