Infinity IL60/HK AVR 3600

Pedro Alvarado

Pedro Alvarado

Full Audioholic
Ruh roh. Ferro fluid?
i was correct that it is a bad thing then? that stuff is only on the tweety, nowhere else.
i just bought a used one on fleabay and it should be here in three days.
poop, i should have bought two huh?! i'm sure the other one is the same.
i'm gonna go find out right now.

Timforhifi

Timforhifi

Full Audioholic
Definitely a weak link to many infinity speakers. Sound good till you push then too hard. Loved my kappa 600 many years ago. But went through a few sets of tweeters.

Pedro Alvarado

Pedro Alvarado

Full Audioholic
Definitely a weak link to many infinity speakers. Sound good till you push then too hard. Loved my kappa 600 many years ago. But went through a few sets of tweeters.
that's somewhat good news for the rest of my drivers.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Well now that makes some sense. The Infinity IL series are still fairly well regarded for older speakers. I really like mine. Bummer about the tweets. Is ferro fluid normally that viscous and sticky?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
thanks for the link. i guess these two tweets died a while ago.
i wonder if i need all new drivers
I doubt you need all new drivers. Might search fleabay or local classifieds for replacement tweets or used. Infinity may even be able to help you out. I think those speakers are worth rehabilitating if the amps still work, tho amp failure is another issue with those particular speakers. There's a guy on ebay who specializes repairing amp sections just for IL speakers.

Pedro Alvarado

Pedro Alvarado

Full Audioholic
Well now that makes some sense. The Infinity IL series are still fairly well regarded for older speakers. I really like mine. Bummer about the tweets. Is ferro fluid normally that viscous and sticky?
viscous, yes, very slippery
sticky no
this one is old and the oil evaporated

i'm just now learning they put this stuff in tweeters in the 90s, that's some r&d
i read about the benefits but it sucks that what happened to mine is going to happen eventually
mine is obviously beyond repair due to my fault though

Pedro Alvarado

Pedro Alvarado

Full Audioholic
I doubt you need all new drivers. Might search fleabay or local classifieds for replacement tweets or used. Infinity may even be able to help you out. I think those speakers are worth rehabilitating if the amps still work, tho amp failure is another issue with those particular speakers. There's a guy on ebay who specializes repairing amp sections just for IL speakers.
i bought a used tweet last night on fleabay and i'm hopefull that it will be a good one since yours are still kicking. if it sounds like mine then i guess i need to search for a suitable replacement. i don't want to end up with a stack of original dead tweeters.

i just found the fleabay amp guy last night too. his store is electronetix. i need to ask him if he deals with the tweeters.

not much to rehab them, just a few scratches on the feet and one the dial on the front. oh, yeah and the tweets. all else looks very clean.

Pedro Alvarado

Pedro Alvarado

Full Audioholic
did you use oem or another replacement?

Timforhifi

Timforhifi

Full Audioholic
Just called infinity and they had them in stock. I sold them to a close friend as well and he blew a tweeter and it was amazing that they still have them in stock. That was about a year ago

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
OEM would probably beat out some randomly chosen tweet based on diameter/fit.

Pedro Alvarado

Pedro Alvarado

Full Audioholic
Just called infinity and they had them in stock. I sold them to a close friend as well and he blew a tweeter and it was amazing that they still have them in stock. That was about a year ago
well, now, that is some good news. you said it happened to you a few times, how often, 1yr, 5yrs?

i emailed them yesterday but i think i'll call also.

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
I love that this image continues to pop up in threads, ha ha!
That would make an entertaining new thread.
What are the most “Southern Engineered” speakers you can find with pictures and comments.

Pedro Alvarado

Pedro Alvarado

Full Audioholic
for some strange reason usps was surprisingly fast delivering this tweeter.

sad to say that it was a dud also. compared to the ones i have, i can feel more resistance when i pushed the dust cap. i guess it has been dead for a long long time.

i called infinity but they will not answer any question unless i give them my name, last name, and email address, WHAT? anyway, i was john smith for that call :rolleyes: and no parts were listed in stock.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis