Infinity IL60/HK AVR 3600

Pedro Alvarado

Pedro Alvarado

Full Audioholic
Infinity IL60/hk 3600
Does anyone here know how to make these sound good? they are a gift from a friend.

voices sound like they are coming from the background and through a bullhorn. the letters S is almost non existent.

bass, oh yes, plenty. as i turn up the bass dial on the front, everything sounds worse. to me it sounds like the bass isn't integrated well at all.

he did not have the rabos bit but i don't think i would help since it is for bass and the top half sounds bad by itself.

all drivers move freely and have sound, albeit bad sound.

things i've tried:

this sounded bad with the bass all the way down but worsen as i turned up the bass dial.
sub input - speaker
low pass filter - off and on, "on" sounded better but not even close to ok
BOS - off
settings on avr - 2.1, with the 0.1 turned down, crossed from 200hz - full range. voices sounded almost ok at 200hz but as i turned up the bass dial it made it all bad. i barely started to hear the letter S at 150hz.

sub input - line, avr to the right one and out from it to the left one
low pass filter - off and on
BOS - off
setting on avr - same as before with same results

no matter how i did it, the top half sucks and gets worse as bass is turned up. i do not know what else to do with them. they sure are pretty though and at 48 in tall they demand attention

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well they look original but are they working correctly? Perhaps something is wrong with some of the drivers or perhaps a crossover or amp has an issue? Not all speakers sound good to everyone either on the other hand, some don't like the powered woofers like these have. Generally the speaker is what it is unless it is broken and can be repaired. What receiver do you have? We do have some Infinity IL series owners here, I know @Pogre posted up about some he found (different model tho), and think someone commented they had the IL60s....hopefully they can offer some insight.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah I have a pair of IL30s, but they don't have the powered drivers. Tho not a perfect speaker I'm actually quite impressed with them. Sounds to me like something isn't working right. Blown tweeter or mid maybe? Dunno. Again tho, something seems amiss.

Pedro Alvarado

Pedro Alvarado

Full Audioholic
thanks for the reply guys.

i looked online and these have some stellar reviews, which tells me something is really wrong with mine.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Try listening with ear up to each driver to see if something obvious to start....

Timforhifi

Timforhifi

Full Audioholic
I had these many years ago. With the harman 3600 set to large no subwoofer. Set sub input to speaker. BOS set to off. Low pass set to on or off whatever sounds better. 200hz is way too high as these cross bass over to Mids around 120hz. Make sure you try subs firing in and subs firing out on each side. Get the distance correct as well for correct delay.

More advanced way is with 2.1 but I don’t think I’d do that way on that avr. You’ll never get correct delay with subs across the room. You can try but make sure they are same distance from where you sit. Set sub to line. Bos off. Frequency to mid way point. Level to taste. Width will help phase alignment. Then set avr to small and 100hz crossover. Sub set to on on avr. Also run lfe like you have already done.

if this doesn’t work then drivers have issues or the amp is done. These models were known for having issues with crossover and volume control.

200hz will make the sub section sound awful though. Good luck

Last edited:
Pedro Alvarado

Pedro Alvarado

Full Audioholic
I had these many years ago. With the harman 3600 set to large no subwoofer. Set sub input to speaker. BOS set to off. Low pass set to on or off whatever sounds better. 200hz is way too high as these cross bass over to Mids around 120hz. Make sure you try subs firing in and subs firing out on each side. Get the distance correct as well for correct delay.

(no joy with the above)

More advanced way is with 2.1 but I don’t think I’d do that way on that avr. You’ll never get correct delay with subs across the room. You can try but make sure they are same distance from where you sit. Set sub to line. Bos off. Frequency to mid way point. Level to taste. Width will help phase alignment. Then set avr to small and 100hz crossover. Sub set to on on avr. Also run lfe like you have already done.

(with bos off, the freq/level/width still change the sound? i'll play with the bos)

if this doesn’t work then drivers have issues or the amp is done. These models were known for having issues with crossover and volume control.

(a dead amp still gets the woofer woofing?)

200hz will make the sub section sound awful though. Good luck

(my main problem is with the top, it sounds really bad. the sub can easily be overpowering but the dials work just fine. thanks for the tips)

Last edited:
Pedro Alvarado

Pedro Alvarado

Full Audioholic
Yeah I have a pair of IL30s, but they don't have the powered drivers. Tho not a perfect speaker I'm actually quite impressed with them. Sounds to me like something isn't working right. Blown tweeter or mid maybe? Dunno. Again tho, something seems amiss.
i removed the top drivers and heard each one and they do make sound.

Pedro Alvarado

Pedro Alvarado

Full Audioholic
all the boards look clean, no bulging caps or discolor that i could see. these are just two of them.

Pedro Alvarado

Pedro Alvarado

Full Audioholic
well, there is nothing "wrong" with the speakers. i was expecting the sound to match their aesthetics, pretty and big. they definitely sound big but not pretty.

the frequency/level/width settings needed to be adjusted a bit. still, to me, they almost sound ok but not enough to keep connected. i think if at least the tweeter was better, they would be ok.

if anyone ever searches info about them, here's my settings.

sub input - speaker
low pass filter - on
bos - off
frequency - 15 clicks clockwise
level - 15 clicks clockwise
width - 5 clicks clockwise
avr - 80hz

Pedro Alvarado

Pedro Alvarado

Full Audioholic
you were correct about the frq/lvl/wd settings. i didn't bother with them since i thought they were for the bos only. thanks for that. maybe i should have read the manual.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
well, there is nothing "wrong" with the speakers. i was expecting the sound to match their aesthetics, pretty and big. they definitely sound big but not pretty.
Compared to..? Do you already have speakers that sound better? Just wondering what your reference is.

Pedro Alvarado

Pedro Alvarado

Full Audioholic
Compared to..? Do you already have speakers that sound better? Just wondering what your reference is.
def tech
bp2004tl
lcr 2002

the tweeter is 3 times better imo

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You sure the tweeters are intact on the Infinity speakers?

Pedro Alvarado

Pedro Alvarado

Full Audioholic
You sure the tweeters are intact on the Infinity speakers?
well i'm no expert or even a novice on troubleshooting but they sound identical to each other on and off the speaker.

i removed them and wired each one to my center channel output of my avr. they made their sound without any unusual artifacts.

physically they look very good. heatsink is still there and it looks very good also.

i can take them out again and take a few photos if you want. maybe you can see something i don't know to look for. i took one of the back before i disconnected it the first time.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well you mentioned such a gap between tweeters in the two speakers, altho I suppose part of that may just be an enthusiastic description?

Pedro Alvarado

Pedro Alvarado

Full Audioholic
well, if it was not fucked before...i took care of that. see pic of wire. :rolleyes:

is that shiny sticky stuff a bad thing? i think it is. i don't feel too bad about the wire now.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis