Infinity 12.1 Perfect's

S

synapsis

Audioholic Intern
I just modeled the Kappa Perfect 12.1 in WinISD with your box size of 4.05 cubic feet and the port you mentioned 16"x3"x54". It seems your tuning frequency will be 23Hz with first port resonance at 125Hz which will be okay if you integrate the subwoofer with a sufficiently steep crossover.

If you properly round all the corners and use a radius of at least 1" I highly doubt you will have any audible chuffing. I know I haven't. Be sure to have rounded areas placed at the junctions where the slot intersects with the cabinet if you round the port otherwise your effort will be in vein.
I think your winISD has way more functions than mine, otherwise i would have been experimenting with these things ;) (winsid beta 0.44). With this tuning freq (23hz) will i still be able to output the lowest end 18hz at audible (well, not audible i suppose, but "feelable" :p) levels?

S

synapsis

Audioholic Intern
I've now purchased my wood, 1" MDF for the whole way around, including a double up on the front baffle. It turns out i will only need the one 4x8 sheet of MDF afterall.

After drawing things out and getting ahead of myself once again, i came to another future standstill. When i mount the actual woofer, i will not be "flush" mounting it, as i dont have the necessary tools for it. However, i was wondering, what kind of grille would be most appropriate for a home theatre subwoofer??

Would it be best just to make a frame around the outside of the baffle and stretch speaker cloth over it? Or is it possible to use grilles designed for car subs (try finding one that isnt god-awful ugly though)?

I can't really make up my mind of what would look good. I know i will be painting the box itself black, the woofers cone is aluminum, so i was kind of thinking one of those LED speaker grilles would look pretty sweet on there (its the "kid and his car" thing coming out in me i guess :p). But would this affect performance?

Or should i just go with something "chromy"... Decisions decisions....

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
what difference in sound does changing the port from the back to the front make (if any...).

I assume with corner placement in a room and a back firing port, the lower frequencies are amplified, does a front port take away that extra low end gain as it is shooting out into the room rather than reflecting off the corners?
The closer the port(and driver) are to a boundary, the more re-enforcement is present, assuming a particular location does not result in null of counter-acting result at the listening position.

-Chris

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
I've now purchased my wood, 1" MDF for the whole way around, including a double up on the front baffle. It turns out i will only need the one 4x8 sheet of MDF afterall.

After drawing things out and getting ahead of myself once again, i came to another future standstill. When i mount the actual woofer, i will not be "flush" mounting it, as i dont have the necessary tools for it. However, i was wondering, what kind of grille would be most appropriate for a home theatre subwoofer??

Would it be best just to make a frame around the outside of the baffle and stretch speaker cloth over it? Or is it possible to use grilles designed for car subs (try finding one that isnt god-awful ugly though)?

I can't really make up my mind of what would look good. I know i will be painting the box itself black, the woofers cone is aluminum, so i was kind of thinking one of those LED speaker grilles would look pretty sweet on there (its the "kid and his car" thing coming out in me i guess :p). But would this affect performance?

Or should i just go with something "chromy"... Decisions decisions....
Any of the above grill options will work. It's merely up to how 'tacky' you want it to look, I guess...(LED grills?!?!?!) :eek:

-Chris

S

synapsis

Audioholic Intern
I know i know, tacky indeed Wmax.

Im not going to bother with a grille, im just going to put some fabric overtop of it when im done.

And the LED grille would have been underneath the fabric, just to give it a trippy look whenever i turned it on ;)

Sheep and i share some common interests other than being Canadian :D!

Hahaha

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis