Incorporating MiniDSP With Audyssey XT32

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Oh yes. The “art” type ones can be expensive. Should have mentioned that. I also wouldn’t sweat your response much either, but at 50hz, that’s the middle of mid bass so I can see why that would bug you(me too).
Honestly, it didn't bother my ears but it bothers my eyes, thanks to REW.:D

Anyway, I have some time on my hand so I spent a few hours manually tuning the two subs using the phase knobs and the PEQs. Adjusting the phase had no effect on the 50 Hz dip, but the PEQs did get me the last 1.5 dB. So the final graphs no longer bother me as much now.

Front Left, right and subs.jpg

Front L,R, and Subs.jpg

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Honestly, it didn't bother my ears but it bothers my eyes, thanks to REW.:D

Anyway, I have some time on my hand so I spent a few hours manually tuning the two subs using the phase knobs and the PEQs. Adjusting the phase had no effect on the 50 Hz dip, but the PEQs did get me the last 1.5 dB. So the final graphs no longer bother me as much now.

View attachment 22620

View attachment 22621
That looks great Peng!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
That looks great Peng!
Thanks, almost as good as yours now but not quite. I am definitely going to spend lots of time watching movies this weekend, after all the hard work.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks, almost as good as yours now but not quite. I am definitely going to spend lots of time watching movies this weekend, after all the hard work.
That’s the best part!

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Peng, that waterfall plot looks very good (IMO, better than Pogre in the time domain). There's some running at 15-30Hz. You'll most likely need targeted room treatments for it.

What's going on at 150-200Hz at t=0? Looks like a big suck out.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Peng, that waterfall plot looks very good (IMO, better than Pogre in the time domain). There's some running at 15-30Hz. You'll most likely need targeted room treatments for it.

What's going on at 150-200Hz at t=0? Looks like a big suck out.
Thanks again for your support, and I will be searching for treatment solution as I don't like the idea of using brute force. Audyssey supposedly set a limit on boost, 6 dB maximum, now I applied another 3 dB using the Sub's PEQ, and the 50 Hz dip is still at least 2 dB down. The suck out you noticed is a problem that I hope room treatment can improve. There are worse ones higher up but at least those are very narrow dips.

When I have time later on this week I will plot and post some graphs so you can get more info of the suck out area and maybe you can suggest some quick fix. I don't expect a total fix, but any improvements at all would be nice. Oh, by the way, the suck out probably look several dB worse because I increased the subs level and forgot to lower it before doing those sweeps.

SeismicHT

SeismicHT

Audioholic Intern
Great thread guys. Exactly what I’ve been looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Moved to Pitt 2 years ago because my ex is holed up with our son outside St. Mary's and refused to move somewhere with a half decent IT job market.

Small world, I drive through Shannondale on the way to visiting my son. Is the ice cream store worth stopping? I'm usually booking through at 20mph over the limit.
Ha! I just got back from visiting up there. The ice cream shop, "The Dell", is kinda hit and miss, lol. I ate there twice while we were back. French fries were burnt the first time and perfect the next. Roast beef sandwich was awesome with smashed taters n gravy, fish sammich was decent (burnt the fries tho) . Ice cream has always been good.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Again, nothing to lose in trying. You probably could use the 2X4HD if you set your AVR to subwoofer "none", then the LFE information should be output to the main L/R speakers, at least that's how it used to work in the old days.
I'm ready to revisit this idea that @gene gave me to use 1 sub channel for the lower half of the 2 towers and 1 channel for the 2 subwoofers. I can level match and eq them separately. To me, that sounds like it might be a better way to go.

I would have to split the signal from each sub output into 2 for this to work. This is where I could use some help and suggestions. Would a regular rca splitter work well for this, or does it get more complicated?

*Edit: The jumpers will be coming off my speakers first thing this time...

Last edited:
Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
I'm ready to revisit this idea that @gene gave me to use 1 sub channel for the lower half of the 2 towers and 1 channel for the 2 subwoofers. I can level match and eq them separately. To me, that sounds like it might be a better way to go.

I would have to split the signal from each sub output into 2 for this to work. This is where I could use some help and suggestions. Would a regular rca splitter work well for this, or does it get more complicated?

sounds complicated. You already have it wired for sound as it is. Its pretty near perfect.
what would be the upside?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
sounds complicated. You already have it wired for sound as it is. Its pretty near perfect.
what would be the upside?
I'm not sure Buck. I know I was pretty happy with the way it sounded when you heard my system, and I've made significant improvements since then by not letting well enough alone! I may gain nothing but knowledge from trying it out tho, and that's not a bad thing either.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

The RCA splitters should work perfectly. It is a mono signal anyway. If I understood correctly, you would be using the woofers in the Ultra towers as the 3rd and 4th subwoofer. I think that will be a bigger challenge for Audyssey to EQ them all, but no harm trying.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord

Didn't you get a minidsp already for this purpose or is that someone else I'm thinking of?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Didn't you get a minidsp already for this purpose or is that someone else I'm thinking of?
You're probably thinking about @NINaudio? I did want to try this months ago and created some... technical difficulties (major user error) and put it away for a little while. I'm ready to blow the dust off this one and give it another try.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis