in-walls to go with my fronts

B

baneling

Audioholic Intern
Hi all, I'm looking for four in-walls for my two surrounds and two rears to complete my 7.1 audio home theatre in my basement. Currently I have the Klipsch RP-280F as my front left and right and the klipsch RP-450C as my center speaker. Right now I'm deciding between the klipsch PRO-180RPW or the Polk Audio RC85i. My basement is very big (21x24 feet) and the main listening position is about 15 feet away from any of these in-walls. I like to raise the volume on these speakers higher than the front LCR. In my family room (see signature for equipment),I put the volume of the rear in-walls at +5 relative to the fronts and i'm sitting a few feet away from them. Plus when I run Audissey on my Denon AVXR3400H in my basement, I'm sure it will want to raise the volume on the 4 in-walls anyways. Do you think the Polk audio at about 90db will be loud enough to keep up with the front LCR which are apparently about 96db (although someone once told me Klipsch over-rates their efficiency by about 4db) and powerful enough for the increase volume? The RC85i right now are about $125 each where as the PRO-180RPW are about $500-600 each. so big difference in price. The RC85i wattage is 20 - 100 watts per channel and the PRO-180RPW wattage is 50W RMS / 200W Peak. Which would you choose?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Family Room: Onkyo TX-NR 646 AVR with Polk Audio RtiA3 fronts, Polk Audio CSiA4 center, BIC America F12 sub, Polk Audio RC-65i rears
Basement: Denon AVR-X3400 AVR, Klipsch RP280f fronts, RP450c center, SVS PB-2000 sub
Www.jvpix.com

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
It looks to me like you are in a good position to use controlled directivity in-walls such as Klipsch since your listening position is pretty far from the intended surround speaker placement. In this case I would tend toward Klipsch speakers. Klipsch has a range of in-walls so I wouldn't get stuck on a particular model. Another good controlled directivity in-wall that is a bit like Klipsch is the Hsu HIW, that should be quite good without being as pricey as Klipsch.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis