In-wall rear surround recommendations

mossman77

mossman77

Full Audioholic
I currently have a 3.1 setup consisting of three DefTech Mythos Nine on-wall speakers and an SVS SB-1000 sub, and would like to add two rear surrounds. Due to space constraints, I'd like to go with in-wall speakers. Also, since the main listening position (sofa) is against the rear wall, I'm thinking it make sense to get a speaker that has a tweeter that can be angled inward toward the listener. Alternately, I could put the rear surrounds in the ceiling over the listening position if that would make more sense/sound better. Looking for suggestions on placement and speaker brands.

Last edited:
mossman77

mossman77

Full Audioholic
Okay. I'll check them out.

Regarding placement, should I space the surrounds the same distance apart as the front L/R speakers? Same height? The tweeters of the L/R speakers are at ear height (because the speakers are mounted over the fireplace), so they are higher than normal, but it is what it is. It is my understanding that the rear surrounds should be slightly above ear level. Is this correct? And regarding connectivity, since the speakers will be located where an SBL/SBR speaker would normally be (since locating them on the left/right of the MLP is not an option), do I connect the speakers to SBL/SBR on the receiver, or SL/SR?

mossman77

mossman77

Full Audioholic
I don't have any experience whatsoever with surround systems. Does it really make all that much difference what woofer size I go with for surround channels? Considering my fronts have 4.5" drivers and my sub is a 12", would it make sense to go with a surround that falls between those sizes (6.5" perhaps)?

mossman77

mossman77

Full Audioholic
These sound decent. The tweeters swivel:

or

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Well first, rear surrounds are part of a 7ch system while a 5ch just uses surrounds. Just clarification for moving ahead.

So the def tech in walls you linked would be fine but having driver sizes that fall in between certain sizes is unnecessary. It only matters how they perform. For placement I would place them in the side walls rather than the ceiling.
But I just reread your above so it sounds like you have to go into the back wall? They will
still be connected to the surround L/R terminals, not the SBL and SBR. If you’re only looking for a traditional 5.1 system, they can go a little higher, like maybe between 5 and 6 feet, depending on how wide the room is.

If you’re intending to do Atmos in the future, you’ll want the surrounds to be just above seated ear height. I have never found aimable tweeters to be useful, so I wouldn’t put much weight into that.
Personally I would also consider a subwoofer upgrade, or at least adding another sb1k. How big is the room? What is the exact tweeter height of the mains?

mossman77

mossman77

Full Audioholic
Well first, rear surrounds are part of a 7ch system while a 5ch just uses surrounds. Just clarification for moving ahead.

So the def tech in walls you linked would be fine but having driver sizes that fall in between certain sizes is unnecessary. It only matters how they perform. For placement I would place them in the side walls rather than the ceiling.
But I just reread your above so it sounds like you have to go into the back wall? They will
still be connected to the surround L/R terminals, not the SBL and SBR. If you’re only looking for a traditional 5.1 system, they can go a little higher, like maybe between 5 and 6 feet, depending on how wide the room is.

If you’re intending to do Atmos in the future, you’ll want the surrounds to be just above seated ear height. I have never found aimable tweeters to be useful, so I wouldn’t put much weight into that.
Personally I would also consider a subwoofer upgrade, or at least adding another sb1k. How big is the room? What is the exact tweeter height of the mains?
There are no side walls. The living room is open on both sides with a stairwell on the right and the dining room on the left, with a vaulted ceiling over 3/4 of the room and 9' ceiling over the rear 4' (overhead of the sofa). So my options are place them in the rear wall above the sofa or above in the ceiling overhead the sofa. I can post a diagram if that helps. No intention on doing Atmos. The room simply isn't conducive to that. I mainly listen to music and video games with the occasional movie.

The subwoofer I have is plenty. Even though the room is vaulted, the rear 4' is not and I believe is amplifying the bass. The house is long and narrow like a townhouse.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
There are no side walls. The living room is open on both sides with a stairwell on the right and the dining room on the left, with a vaulted ceiling over 3/4 of the room and 9' ceiling over the rear 4' (overhead of the sofa). So my options are place them in the rear wall above the sofa or above in the ceiling overhead the sofa. I can post a diagram if that helps. No intention on doing Atmos. The room simply isn't conducive to that. I mainly listen to music and video games with the occasional movie.

The subwoofer I have is plenty. Even though the room is vaulted, the rear 4' is not and I believe is amplifying the bass. The house is long and narrow like a townhouse.
Ok. How far away is the back wall? I would go there before the ceiling, but many people do use the ceiling as well. Pics are easier than a diagram but I think I follow you. I’d go in the back wall unless it’s really far away.

mossman77

mossman77

Full Audioholic
Here's an overhead view of my living room. There are no walls between the living room, dining room, and foyer/stairs, and the rear 4' of the entire level has a 9ft tall ceiling and the rest is vaulted and open to the second story above with a total ceiling height of about 18'. The two possible locations for surrounds are in the rear wall above the sofa or in the ceiling above the sofa (see red squares/dots).

LivingRoomLayout.jpg

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
we see now big area for sure maybe high up on the back wall and surrounds on speaker stands at ear high

mossman77

mossman77

Full Audioholic
we see now big area for sure maybe high up on the back wall and surrounds on speaker stands at ear high
To be clear, I am asking whether I should put the surrounds in the rear wall OR the ceiling (not both). This will be a 5.1 setup.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
The thing about putting the surrounds in the wall they would have to Angle in to your seating area. You could get speaker mounts bolt them to the wall lots of them let you Swivel the speaker in to the seated listening area. My Son has his on the ceiling right above his sofa a foot past his sofa on each side. They are bolted to his ceiling he didn’t what to put them in the ceiling worked out perfect for his setup

Last edited:
mossman77

mossman77

Full Audioholic
The thing about putting the surrounds in the wall they would have to Angle in to your sitting area. You could get speaker mounts bolt them to the wall lots of them let you Swivel the speaker in to the seated listening area
Right, but I don't want anything hanging off the wall. I found a few in-wall speakers that have tilting tweeters, but only up to 15 degrees, which isn't enough to aim at the MLP. This is why I'm thinking maybe putting the surrounds in the ceiling may be a better option.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
you could put them on speaker stands, My son put his on the ceiling because no wall behind the sofa. his living room is like yours just no wall behind the sofa walk area behind so stands wouldn’t work or they would but a chance of them getting knocked over so ceiling it was

mossman77

mossman77

Full Audioholic
you could put them on speaker stands, My son put his on the ceiling because no wall behind the sofa. his living room is like yours just no wall behind the sofa walk area behind so stands wouldn’t work or they would but a chance of them getting knocked over so ceiling it was
I'm only interested in in-wall speakers. The only way I would go with on-wall is if they were the downward-firing type that fit in the corner of the wall/ceiling. Definitely not doing stands.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
well there you go find some Suitable in wall speakers and Wala best of luck bro!

mossman77

mossman77

Full Audioholic
I would maybe go for something like the SVS Prime Elevation speaker. Not ideal, but at least gets them up high out of the way. Not sure these would sound the best since they definitely wouldn't be anywhere close to being aimed at the MLP.

mossman77

mossman77

Full Audioholic
well there you go find some Suitable in wall speakers and Wala best of luck bro!
That was the intention of my post. To solicit input on some decent surrounds and determine what size and which location to put them based on my drawing.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I wouldn't do surrounds if I couldn't place them at least somewhat close to what's recommended. The whole point of surround speakers are to surround you in a circle of sound. That's what they're meant for. Deviate too far from correct positioning not only defeats the purpose, it'll scramble things up.

I'm a huge fan of SVS and may yet get some prime elevation speakers myself, but for atmos. I've had many interactions with them and their customer service is outstanding. They have a live chat on their website during business hours (or call) and are more than happy to help. I suggest you contact them, explain your situation and ask them if they think Prime Elevations might be positioned some way that'd work for you.

Also, realize that the Prime Elevation speakers are wall mounted, not in wall. So if you're willing to do those...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis