In-wall rear surround recommendations

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
Check out accessories4less they have several on walls that should work for you. I think you would like the canton gle . It comes in white only 3.3” deep an has a 5 1/4” woofer and passive radiator. If not there are several others Including a few from definitive technology.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
There’s also at A4L the bigger Canton on walls. Chrono SL 516.2 with 6in driver and Vento 816.2 (deeper) with 6.3 inch driver.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
I'm only interested in in-wall speakers. The only way I would go with on-wall is if they were the downward-firing type that fit in the corner of the wall/ceiling. Definitely not doing stands.
I get the cosmetic part of the inwall vs on mounted on wall. That creates a tough spot to get an ideal surround sound system.

I've seen a 5.1 like this (with surrounds in the rear)...it's not ideal as noted, so don't spend a ton on inwalls, but it will work...positioning and tweeters that you can adjust make a big difference. I would do inwall long before I would inceiling surrounds.

Good luck with it.

mossman77

mossman77

Full Audioholic
Check out accessories4less they have several on walls that should work for you. I think you would like the canton gle . It comes in white only 3.3” deep an has a 5 1/4” woofer and passive radiator. If not there are several others Including a few from definitive technology.
I've heard bad things about accessories4less. Have you ever ordered something from them?

mossman77

mossman77

Full Audioholic
There’s also at A4L the bigger Canton on walls. Chrono SL 516.2 with 6in driver and Vento 816.2 (deeper) with 6.3 inch driver.
Those are nice, but I won't be able to aim them toward the LP. That is the thing I'm hung up on. Maybe go with one of the bipole speakers I linked to and disconnect the outward facing drivers?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Those are nice, but I won't be able to aim them toward the LP. That is the thing I'm hung up on. Maybe go with one of the bipole speakers I linked to and disconnect the outward facing drivers?
Modifying existing speakers will likely have a very negative impact on their performance. The overall system is such that each driver, the XO, and the cabinet are designed to interact and perform in a specific manner. ANY changes to those individual elements would completely alter the speaker's performance. Not in a good way.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Ya the canton on walls are designed to go flat against the wall not mounted on a swivel. I really love my 516.2 surrounds though.

Bipoles for Def Tech are the SR9040 and SR9080 but their tweeters are not that amazing. Okay for movie effects. Maybe not great for music in SACD 5.1. :)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I've heard bad things about accessories4less. Have you ever ordered something from them?
Ordered my last 3 receivers from them. All are still in operation too, including my current one. All of them showed up packed well and with all accessories and paperwork. Even had that brand new smell to them.

Speakers are less risky than receivers anyway. I wouldn't have a problem ordering a set from A4L at all.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
What about the smallest bipoles you can find?Mount them with keyhole slots. Done. Don’t worry about the outward firing drivers. They might even help! The inward ones should hit the LP just how you want.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I gotta say, I don't understand the dislike for being able to see your speakers. I like the aesthetic and don't think it cheapens the look of my room at all. I have mine proudly on display and I think they're beautiful!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
What about the smallest bipoles you can find?Mount them with keyhole slots. Done. Don’t worry about the outward firing drivers. They might even help! The inward ones should hit the LP just how you want.
I thought about bipoles too, but as a rule they're frowned upon proud these here parts. However, that configuration might actually help in his case.

mossman77

mossman77

Full Audioholic
The DefTech SR9040's fit the bill.

mossman77

mossman77

Full Audioholic
I thought about bipoles too, but as a rule they're frowned upon proud these here parts. However, that configuration might actually help in his case.
It's not that I dislike seeing speakers, it's the layout of the my home. The front door is directly to the right of the sofa, so I don't want people seeing speakers, wires, brackets hanging off the wall when they walk in. At least the trapezoidal-shaped speakers have more of a subtle transition from wall to speaker. Just wish they were white.

I just had a good idea (I think)...I could build recessed pockets in the wall to house an angled speaker such as the DefTech SR9040. That would give me the angle I need towards the LP AND the clean recessed look of an in-wall speaker (although the pocket would be open).

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
It's not that I dislike seeing speakers, it's the layout of the my home. The front door is directly to the right of the sofa, so I don't want people seeing speakers, wires, brackets hanging off the wall when they walk in. At least the trapezoidal-shaped speakers have more of a subtle transition from wall to speaker. Just wish they were white.
Yes, those are along the lines of what I was thinking. They might be a good solution for you.

This is the first thing you see when you walk in my front door, lol.

IMG_1338-1612x1209.JPG

The door is immediately to the right. In fact you can see the knob reflected in the speaker. I'm guessing this type of setup would be a no-go for you.

mossman77

mossman77

Full Audioholic
Like this (SR9040s are 5.38" deep, so the bottom shelf would have to protrude from the wall about an inch, which is fine. I would put a piece of door/window casing along the bottom to dress it up...

DefTechSR9040.jpg

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yup. That's what I had in mind. They're at least not flush with the wall and you might get some side-surround effects. You can wire them in different ways too if you want to experiment. Make sure you do a little homework first before you start spiderwebbing all those binding posts together tho.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai

I just had a good idea (I think)...I could build recessed pockets in the wall to house an angled speaker such as the DefTech SR9040. That would give me the angle I need towards the LP AND the clean recessed look of an in-wall speaker (although the pocket would be open).
What about those RSL's I posted earlier?

Also, I think you're overthinking this. I have one of my surrounds right over my door. Nobody has ever said a thing. It's a lot less complicated than fabricating something like a cubby hole for the speaker and it gives me great adjustability.

mossman77

mossman77

Full Audioholic
One thing I can see being a potential issue is the sides of the pockets reflecting the sound waves. I'd have to make the pockets considerably wider than the speaker to avoid too much of this. Still could work though I think.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis