Impressions on Crown XLi vs XLS for Hi-Fi mains

Your preference for driving Hi-Fi Fullrange mains

• Crown XLS ( based on your actual experience)

• Crown XLi ( based on your actual experience)

• Crown XLS ( based on speculation)

• Crown XLi ( based on speculation)

Results are only viewable after voting.
L

LetTonyRome

Audiophyte
Interesting review on the XLi 800
[/QUOTE]
I read that review after hearing the XLi 800 in a treated Mastering room with Amphion speakers and that review didn’t change the opinion I formed after actually using them for 2 lengthy sessions. I bought 2 and i’m very pleased with them .

C

CoryW

Audioholic
Hi,

Crown XLS has gathered quite a reputation for Hi-Fi/ HT mains amplification despite not being its targeted market segment. Some people dis them while many highly recommend them.

I have decided that I will use Crown XLS or XLi amps (2000/2500 models) to power up my hi-fi mains.
The XLS has an unnecessary AD-DA conversion ( because I won't be using any DSP) which bothers me.
The XLi is very high power for class AB, maybe it is more biased towards class B, which bothers me.

So, I am a bit confused which one to get.

Most of the discussion I have found across forums are regarding XLS vs other amps. Not enough head on impression between XLS vs XLi.

So, this is my request to anyone who have actually used the XLS & the XLi series Crown amps for driving full range stereo mains, kindly share your impressions & preferences.

Thanks in advance.
I have used both series. I purchased an XLS1502 to see if a 9lb amp can really have the meat. In two channel stereo, the results were outstanding. But when I tried it with a reference class sub.....oh my. Yup, huge current powerhouse and stays cool to the touch.
I’ve also driven a XLI1500 with my Hafler pre-amp with great results. I have Hafler. Adcom, Yamaha and really nice Pioneer elite amps. The Crowns hang with them.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I have used both series. I purchased an XLS1502 to see if a 9lb amp can really have the meat. In two channel stereo, the results were outstanding. But when I tried it with a reference class sub.....oh my. Yup, huge current powerhouse and stays cool to the touch.
I’ve also driven a XLI1500 with my Hafler pre-amp with great results. I have Hafler. Adcom, Yamaha and really nice Pioneer elite amps. The Crowns hang with them.
Yep I have several 1502 crowns I have in the bedroom system complete overkill but they drive my front 3 and sound just fine doing it.

I'm not as good in the science as some are on here but I'm not sure unless you could really AB some of these choices in proper testing procedures if you could even tell differences with some of the poorer measuring specs on these type of amps

I mean it's like subwoofers they may have some distortion but is it enough to be audible kind of thing if you catch my drift

Although I do agree with some members points on that poor measurements in amps can have an impact in other ways on your equipment not just sound quality

I'm just speculating is all but I agree with you guys I love crown amps both for theater applications and especially for driving some subs!!! Lol

C

CoryW

Audioholic
My experience comes from a long history of powerful conservatively rated amplifiers. From my first DH-200 to present goodies. You can easily hear amps/receivers that fluff their internals and their stats using my hardware. I use a lot of sealed RBH speakers (MC series) that require power to make them shine. They sound thin and weak otherwise. I’ve owned some real dogs that were new 4K receivers. I couldn’t taken them back fast enough. Enter the older 55 lb Onkyo TX-NR950 I picked up. Oof. Meat...gobs of meat.

I was just going to test the Crown and send it back. Nope.

C

CoryW

Audioholic
Um, wow. I picked up a Lexicon M-8 v2 preamp, plugged it in via balanced connections to the Crown amp for some two channel listening. The soundstage is really wide, the sweetest top end, and the quality of the bass handled by a RBH SA-200 has such finesse, tight. I can pick out so much more detail. This Crown is capable of tremendous sound.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Um, wow. I picked up a Lexicon M-8 v2 preamp, plugged it in via balanced connections to the Crown amp for some two channel listening. The soundstage is really wide, the sweetest top end, and the quality of the bass handled by a RBH SA-200 has such finesse, tight. I can pick out so much more detail. This Crown is capable of tremendous sound.
While I would only use the language "they work just fine" as soundstage isn't in an amp but rather the recording....and not any real difference from any of the other myriad amps I have except in aesthetic, power, feature set & price :)

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Glad to hear your enjoying your crowns! I use mine in my bedroom setup and I really enjoy them both for music and home theater in that room

I'd almost bet you money that if I did a blind test between the crowns and my anthem amps in the movie room the mca 525 and PVA-7 I'm not too sure I'd be able to tell a difference

But I'm not sure that's because of my aging ears either definetly don't hear as well as I used too lol

Enjoy the crowns great value for the money!!!!

P

pinifinina

Junior Audioholic
So are we putting down a conclusion that professional amps like the Crown XLS and QSC RMXa are the way to go instead of spending thousands of $$ on brands like Marantz, Rotel, Anthem, Outlaw, Monoprice etc??

I would be keen to know if people now days are starting to move away from home HiFi amps and into professional amp for home use?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
So are we putting down a conclusion that professional amps like the Crown XLS and QSC RMXa are the way to go instead of spending thousands of $$ on brands like Marantz, Rotel, Anthem, Outlaw, Monoprice etc??

I would be keen to know if people now days are starting to move away from home HiFi amps and into professional amp for home use?
Conclusion is too strong of a word and a bit premature

I'd say it boils down to scale of economics and pride of ownership

In my theater room I run an Anthem pre with my anthem amps

Do they sound much better then the setup I had in my old living room with my denon X4400H as a prepro and my crowns

Honestly I loved both setups and would need to hear them side by side to pick my favorite memory is a poor reference but the fact I can't hear a night and day difference says something I believe. At least in my opinion

Would I give up my anthem avm60 and my pretty anthem amps? Hell to the NO

Why? A because I could afford them B because I want to own them like someone wants to drive a Ferrari

And so I think higher end amps will always have a place for those reasons

But if I have friends that are wanting to build a badass bang for your buck theater and have budget limits then I'm recommending an avrs a prepro and either crown or QSC all day any day

I enjoyed my time with that set up so much I still have it setup in my bedroom to this day I could not flip my crowns I like them that much

And they are so multipurpose I can someday use them for subs if I so choose or keep using them the way I have them now

That's just my humble opinion on it. But it's cool to see people on budgets have some pretty cool options these days I think that's awesome

P

pinifinina

Junior Audioholic
Conclusion is too strong of a word and a bit premature

I'd say it boils down to scale of economics and pride of ownership

In my theater room I run an Anthem pre with my anthem amps

Do they sound much better then the setup I had in my old living room with my denon X4400H as a prepro and my crowns

Honestly I loved both setups and would need to hear them side by side to pick my favorite memory is a poor reference but the fact I can't hear a night and day difference says something I believe. At least in my opinion

Would I give up my anthem avm60 and my pretty anthem amps? Hell to the NO

Why? A because I could afford them B because I want to own them like someone wants to drive a Ferrari

And so I think higher end amps will always have a place for those reasons

But if I have friends that are wanting to build a badass bang for your buck theater and have budget limits then I'm recommending an avrs a prepro and either crown or QSC all day any day

I enjoyed my time with that set up so much I still have it setup in my bedroom to this day I could not flip my crowns I like them that much

And they are so multipurpose I can someday use them for subs if I so choose or keep using them the way I have them now

That's just my humble opinion on it. But it's cool to see people on budgets have some pretty cool options these days I think that's awesome
Thanks @Danzilla31 , totally understand where you are coming from, and I think you are right, for people who are on a budget, it seems that they now have a way to really keep in their budget and still getting good gears and not missing out on anything.

Just curious, is it the same to you that you never actually hear the fan noise from the crown amplifier?

Thanks

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks @Danzilla31 , totally understand where you are coming from, and I think you are right, for people who are on a budget, it seems that they now have a way to really keep in their budget and still getting good gears and not missing out on anything.

Just curious, is it the same to you that you never actually hear the fan noise from the crown amplifier?

Thanks
Yes I've had my system just rocking both with music and movies and I've never had them even kick on

They are very cool running amps but then again I may not be pushing them to the level they'd need to kick on They have plenty of headroom especially in that smaller sized room

But they ran cool in my old wide open huge open floor plan as well

C

CoryW

Audioholic
Glad to hear your enjoying your crowns! I use mine in my bedroom setup and I really enjoy them both for music and home theater in that room

I'd almost bet you money that if I did a blind test between the crowns and my anthem amps in the movie room the mca 525 and PVA-7 I'm not too sure I'd be able to tell a difference

But I'm not sure that's because of my aging ears either definetly don't hear as well as I used too lol

Enjoy the crowns great value for the money!!!!
I finally have my top bookshelf speakers up and running. The have the same drivers as the Status acoustics Voca Fina, but a different cabinet. Listening to Erich Kunzel recordings using the Lexicon and the Crown, I am shocked how beautiful they sound. So smooth, crazy detail. I am in my happy place.

Attachments

D

DirtyWhiteBoy

Audiophyte
I know this an older thread. I stumbled across it doing some research on Crown Drivecore. I've been using 2 XLi 1500's for daily use the last 3 years on Cerwin Vega D9's and AT-15's..I don't know about "golden ear" but the amps sound great and run quiet. Here's a test:

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I know this an older thread. I stumbled across it doing some research on Crown Drivecore. I've been using 2 XLi 1500's for daily use the last 3 years on Cerwin Vega D9's and AT-15's..I don't know about "golden ear" but the amps sound great and run quiet. Here's a test:
Hah hah better late then never! I always loved my crowns I laughed out loud at your forum name. Great jam by Foreigner. That's why you picked it right? ;) :D

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
I've got an XLS 1500 put away in storage somewhere. I should bring that thing back out and fire it up. Boy that thing had power for its size.

D

DirtyWhiteBoy

Audiophyte
Hah hah better late then never! I always loved my crowns I laughed out loud at your forum name. Great jam by Foreigner. That's why you picked it right? ;) :D
Yessir..Plus it's tatted on my neck.A way of life. I'm just a DWB

D

DirtyWhiteBoy

Audiophyte
I've got an XLS 1500 put away in storage somewhere. I should bring that thing back out and fire it up. Boy that thing had power for its size.
I definitely want to try out different Crowns. I was into car audio most of my life and only dabbled in home audio.With the exception of a couple pair of Realistic Mach One's, Cerwin Vega's or MTX towers. I'm not really an audiophile.I like it loud and clean above most else. My system now is an Integra DTR 50.3, 2 Crown XLi 1500's and a QSC GX5. Cerwin Vega D9, AT-15's and VE15's. Now I'm curious to see what other amps sound like. Audio itch

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis