I think my pioneer vsx-819h receiver is dying

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Some people think MusicCast crushes Roon like a bug. So I guess everyone has their own opinion about what destroys or annihilates what.

However, I am not sure if Roon Ready vs MusicCast is apples to apples.

MusicCast isn’t just about network streaming music. MusicCast is also an awesome WiFi Remote Control App that can control your AVR/AVP even in the equipment closet even when you don’t have Internet - it can do it by just local network only.

Can you use the Roon Ready app to flawlessly WiFi Remote Control your Trinnov AVP (like a Universal Remote Control) and stream music from your home network or phone 100% of the time even without internet?

Is Roon service free or do you have to pay a subscription? MusicCast is 100% free on all Yamaha that has MusicCast.

I’ve heard people complain about Roon not working consistently for them at times with network issues. I’ve never had any network issues with MusicCast. As I’ve said, MusicCast has worked 100% for me even without internet.
Roon is pricey for what it is IMO....lifetime access is $830, monthly is 12.50/15 depending on which package (billed monthly or annually). https://roon.app/en/pricing

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Well, my Oldest Son has a Sony AVR 790,paid 350 plus tax, sitting on a self In his garage. Now he uses it for music only. But I believe its a 7.1 may be 7.2 and it sits In his hot garage with the humidity down here in Louisiana, oh and has a 19" Monitor attached to it so he can access the OSD display. Its over 4 years old.

That Onkyo NR818 isn't a low-end AVR it's a good one, had one back in 2012 loved it, But it did have a defective network chip according to Onkyo but they sent the box for packing sent the return shipping label for me to ship it off to be repaired got it back was all good. I should have kept it but I sold.

It caused the unit to loose sound, It would power on display would light up and show every speaker that was hooked to it, you know on the little display panel just no sound no matter what you did hard reset nothing that's the issue Onkyo had back in 2012. Here's the thing, after I got that AVR back from an authorized Onkyo repair center, A statement of repair order was in the box with the a warranty card from Onkyo, extra five years warranty on it good till 2018. So yeah Onkyo Stepped up to the plate went above and beyond with the extra five years warranty, I should have kept that AVR.
high mid range avr yes .
I had HDMI board replacement under warranty don’t recal getting a warranty card from Onkyo.. but it never broke again after that besides arc quit working.
Good luck convincing mommy and daddy to buy you a new anything....I'm surprised they still feed you.
I bought the last one and the next won’t be any different. Maybe there would be more desk jobs if boomers didn’t ship them all to China and India . But I have looked my cars to old for delivery and my laptop broke so I can’t fix my resume . On indeed I’ve checked the pay is terrible for most jobs, and or I don’t have enough experience. Some delivery. jobs don’t even pay enough to afford the vehicles to continue doing them. So the job destroys your car but doesn’t pay enough for a new one.
maybe I should try another site …

Tankini

Tankini

Senior Audioholic
Personally if I am buying a cheapass AVR, I would get the cheapest Yamaha AVR with MusicCast.

You get what you pay for. Can’t expect nice Pretty OSD, LCD, high power, or any fancy features like Audyssey XT32, etc.

But I will say this. Yamaha’s MusicCast is second to NONE in terms of what it does - among the BEST music streaming, the BEST WiFi remote control app there is. I would put MusicCast up with any standalone streamer in terms of what it does for me in music streaming and WiFi app streaming and WiFi remote.

Yamaha put big bucks into MusicCast and the benefits trickle down to even the cheapest Yamaha’s that come with MusicCast.

I don’t think there is a streaming app in a $25,000 AVP/AVR from Trinnov or anyone else that can match MusicCast.

Looking at that list you posted made me go watch True Detective season one again I love that opening song.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Some people think MusicCast crushes Roon like a bug. So I guess everyone has their own opinion about what destroys or annihilates what.

However, I am not sure if Roon Ready vs MusicCast is apples to apples.

MusicCast isn’t just about network streaming music. MusicCast is also an awesome WiFi Remote Control App that can control your AVR/AVP even in the equipment closet even when you don’t have Internet - it can do it by just local network only.

Can you use the Roon Ready app to flawlessly WiFi Remote Control your Trinnov AVP (like a Universal Remote Control) and stream music from your home network or phone 100% of the time even without internet?

Is Roon service free or do you have to pay a subscription? MusicCast is 100% free on all Yamaha that has MusicCast.

I’ve heard people complain about Roon not working consistently for them at times with network issues. I’ve never had any network issues with MusicCast. As I’ve said, MusicCast has worked 100% for me even without internet.
I don't have issues with ROON, whether using WiiM as an endpoint or an AVR and I don't think ROON and Musicast are an apples to apples comparison. ROON + Music Cast, would be a more likely scenario for ROON users.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I don't have issues with ROON, whether using WiiM as an endpoint or an AVR and I don't think ROON and Musicast are an apples to apples comparison. ROON + Music Cast, would be a more likely scenario for ROON users.
So why would anyone want to pay for ROON if they already have MusicCast that works perfectly for streaming music?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So why would anyone want to pay for ROON if they already have MusicCast that works perfectly for streaming music?
Can MusicCast organize all your various content/services and provide background information about artists/recordings? That seems to be what people like about Roon.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Can MusicCast organize all your various content/services and provide background information about artists/recordings? That seems to be what people like about Roon.
Oh, like the free Kodi software that uses a Universal Music Scraper for music as well as scrapers for all the movies and TV series.

Some people use Kodi to playback their music because of this music scraper feature.

No, MusicCast does not have a music scraper.

I guess that’s one reason some people want a stand-alone music streamer that costs a lot.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Oh, like the free Kodi software that uses a Universal Music Scraper for music as well as scrapers for all the movies and TV series.

Some people use Kodi to playback their music because of this music scraper feature.

No, MusicCast does not have a music scraper.

I guess that’s one reason some people want a stand-alone music streamer that costs a lot.
There's a variety of ways to go about that, but think it's the one app thing working over multiple devices (roon end points I think they're called). Scrapers sounds about right. I tend to just manage and find my own music easily enough without even Kodi.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
There's a variety of ways to go about that, but think it's the one app thing working over multiple devices (roon end points I think they're called). Scrapers sounds about right. I tend to just manage and find my own music easily enough without even Kodi.
Same here. There are only so many good songs I want to hear anyway - the rest are crap to me. So I manage my own music. That’s why I have never even considered those fancy streamers or any music subscriptions.

For music, I don’t use Kodi anymore. I just use MusicCast, which is extremely fast and easy and 100% reliable.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Depends on the user. How many multi way active speakers can you build with musiccast as it's not just about streaming music with ROON? It's way I said the likely scenario is ROON + MusicCast...

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Well, this could be its own thread, but Roon does offer some nice features besides music scraping.
  • Multiple device support. I can stream music to my AVR, PC, Shield TV, Raspberry Pi (connected to an older AVR with no Chromecast support) or mobile.
  • I can transfer streams from one device to another and also simulcast a stream to multiple devices (good for parties).
  • The interface is very nice both on mobile, PCs and tablets.
  • Roon recently added the ability to stream to your mobile when away from home (Roon ARC).
  • Roon has sophisticated DSP available, like dynamic volume levels and parametric EQ configurable per device.
  • Many songs have karaoke style lyrics available which displays through the interface or via Chromecast.
  • Similar to Apple Genius, you can play one or several songs from Roon and then Roon will try and match the style of music with the tracks that follow.
  • I keep both FLAC and MP3 files as our car requires MP3 and Roon will automatically pick the best quality recording if there are multiple version.
  • The database is very extensive allowing for exploration of other music.
Of course the con is that it's silly expensive. :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well, this could be its own thread, but Roon does offer some nice features besides music scraping.
  • Multiple device support. I can stream music to my AVR, PC, Shield TV, Raspberry Pi (connected to an older AVR with no Chromecast support) or mobile.
  • I can transfer streams from one device to another and also simulcast a stream to multiple devices (good for parties).
  • The interface is very nice both on mobile, PCs and tablets.
  • Roon recently added the ability to stream to your mobile when away from home (Roon ARC).
  • Roon has sophisticated DSP available, like dynamic volume levels and parametric EQ configurable per device.
  • Many songs have karaoke style lyrics available which displays through the interface or via Chromecast.
  • Similar to Apple Genius, you can play one or several songs from Roon and then Roon will try and match the style of music with the tracks that follow.
  • I keep both FLAC and MP3 files as our car requires MP3 and Roon will automatically pick the best quality recording if there are multiple version.
  • The database is very extensive allowing for exploration of other music.
Of course the con is that it's silly expensive. :)
If Roon can simultaneously stream to various end units/points that raises them up a slight notch but since others can do that for much less....

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis