i need some advice on my next sub!

J

jsf0656

Audioholic
sorry for all these questions. i got started late in life with my audio hobby but i am learning!:D

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
are you refering to plugging in one sub to the other thru the line in- out on the back?
Yes, pretty much. My subs, for example have the XLR Input and XLR Direct Pass-Thru. I do not have the option to do that with RCA, however.
Keep in mind, some Subs are also meant to pass the Speaker signal back out to one of the Mains.
Just make certain what your Sub is designed to do. :)

J

jsf0656

Audioholic
ok will do. i have pretty much made up my mind on the SVSPB2000! but looking at another one later on!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
sorry for all these questions. i got started late in life with my audio hobby but i am learning!:D
It's aight. Speaking for myself I get caught up in a couple of threads at once sometimes and replies can get a little confusing for me. I think it's better to come here and ask questions first as opposed to spending your money and asking after. We've had a pretty spirited discussion in this thread! I had some fun. :p
ok will do. i have pretty much made up my mind on the SVSPB2000! but looking at another one later on!
That sounds like a great plan. With some careful placement you can get a lot from a single sub. The second one will give you a little more headroom and help the first one with any potential room modes. I think you made any good choice!

Cpt.America

Cpt.America

Full Audioholic
I have had nothing but incredible experiences with SVS myself. Their customer service and attention to detail in their products is really really good. One piece of advice on your sub... buy one level higher/bigger than you think you want. It's just.. one of those things where you don't want to have to sell it and buy again. I would buy a pb3000 for a room that size.

And what has been said earlier in this thread is correct. The ONLY advantage to a sealed box, is enclosure size. A properly tuned ported box will play just music JUST as well as a sealed box, with more output and stronger low frequency.

J

jsf0656

Audioholic
I have had nothing but incredible experiences with SVS myself. Their customer service and attention to detail in their products is really really good. One piece of advice on your sub... buy one level higher/bigger than you think you want. It's just.. one of those things where you don't want to have to sell it and buy again. I would buy a pb3000 for a room that size.

And what has been said earlier in this thread is correct. The ONLY advantage to a sealed box, is enclosure size. A properly tuned ported box will play just music JUST as well as a sealed box, with more output and stronger low frequency.
thanks for that. i feel good about all the advice i have gotten. makes me feel alot better about the decision that i have made!:)

P

ParleyW

Audioholic
ok i have decided to step up in the sub world. the advice i had gotten led me to my JBL studio 230s and i have enjoyed them so much. but now i need to get a great sub to go with them. i have bought a few less than 200 dollar subs in the last several years but now want to move up to better low end sound. i listen to only music thru my 2ch setup, no HT. i have been looking at the svs
sb1000 and pb1000, monolith10 and 12,and rsl 10 speedwoofer so far. again my listening area is 13x15 w vaulted ceiling opening into dining room 12x12. your last reccomendations were spot on. hoping you can help with this decision. thanks!
After using a few many popular brands, I went to RBH Sound and have been extremely pleased ever since. I’ve owned a dozen different models. My kids are still using my older ones in their HT. Their reference stuff is crazy good. Just a thought. Best of luck.

J

jsf0656

Audioholic
well, my PB2000pro arrived today. i have been setting it up today and i am THRILLED!:) this is my first real sub after alot of sub 200 dollar subs. i cant believe how good it sounds with my music. i have been playing alot of my concert dvds today and i am one happy camper! it sounds as though i have a whole new system. my fronts have a much different soundstage now. fuller and deeper presence. its like i have a different set of speakers. the boominess is gone. i followed the setup and the settings for my JBLs on the SVS website and it is spot on. now i can play around with the app and tweak it further. but i can say that it sounds great to me right now! i emailed SVS and told them how much i am enjoying the new experience. MANY THANKS to everyone for all of the advice and understanding. i am totaly astounded!:D

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Ahhh... the sound of another happy camper! I'm tickled pink you love it. I've been beating the subwoofer drum for a while here and almost every new poster thinks I'm just a bass head, lol. A real, truly good sub can elevate your whole system from top to bottom. Once you experience it, you get it. Now you know!

J

jsf0656

Audioholic
Ahhh... the sound of another happy camper! I'm tickled pink you love it. I've been beating the subwoofer drum for a while here and almost every new poster thinks I'm just a bass head, lol. A real, truly good sub can elevate your whole system from top to bottom. Once you experience it, you get it. Now you know!
yeah, i didnt realize how much i have been missing. a good sub was the missing link!

J

jsf0656

Audioholic
i reset my yammy to the factory specs and ran the ypao again. it sounds amazing. Pogre, you are the one that convinced me on the pros, and for that i thank you! now to save for a second one;)

J

jsf0656

Audioholic
question for the experts? my son has a yamaha R-N303 stereo receiver. i gave him my old klipsch R-100SW sub. can he hook this sub up to his receiver using the line out and using the second pair of speaker connections on the yamaha? he only uses one pair of speakers.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
question for the experts? my son has a yamaha R-N303 stereo receiver. i gave him my old klipsch R-100SW sub. can he hook this sub up to his receiver using the line out and using the second pair of speaker connections on the yamaha? he only uses one pair of speakers.
Why would you use both line level and speaker level connections simultaneously? If the N303 doesn't have a variable line level pre-out then a high level (speaker) connection would be in order. In looking at the back panel of the 303, I'd guess that's a fixed level line out for a recorder or something along those lines? I didn't look in the manual....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Doesn't look like you will be able to connect it without a speaker level rca adapter.
Yep, just looked at the sub....not much in the way of options with that one.

GuitarPicker

GuitarPicker

Junior Audioholic
You would be better off using 2 smaller subs instead of 1 large 15" sub. No matter how large the sub or where it is placed in the room , no matter how you equalize it or how much power it has, when the waves bounce of the back wall at some point you are going to have a dead zone. Using 2 subs will cover up the dead zone that each sub will produce.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis