i need some advice on my next sub!

J

jsf0656

Audioholic
ok i have decided to step up in the sub world. the advice i had gotten led me to my JBL studio 230s and i have enjoyed them so much. but now i need to get a great sub to go with them. i have bought a few less than 200 dollar subs in the last several years but now want to move up to better low end sound. i listen to only music thru my 2ch setup, no HT. i have been looking at the svs
sb1000 and pb1000, monolith10 and 12,and rsl 10 speedwoofer so far. again my listening area is 13x15 w vaulted ceiling opening into dining room 12x12. your last reccomendations were spot on. hoping you can help with this decision. thanks!

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
I think the Monolith 10” would work out nice in that size room.

J

jsf0656

Audioholic
the monolith and the seedwoofer are all out of stock right now. only the svs subs are available as of today. i have been looking seriously at the monolith!

J

jsf0656

Audioholic
the monolith and the seedwoofer are all out of stock right now. only the svs subs are available as of today. i have been looking seriously at the monolith!
also trying to determine whether i need a sealed or ported for music. i am a 65 yr old that still loves 60,70,80s rock!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
The sealed vs ported thing is myth.

If your goal is to supplement movies in any way, I would urge consideration of the Monolith 12". I think that will be far and away the strongest solution for your scenario, even if you are say 95% music.
The SVS 1000 series are good, but limited. Rumor has it they will be releasing an update to the 1000 series very soon, too.
The RSL Speedwoofer is by all accounts a good Sub, but it will not be at its best supporting any HT as it rolls off in the low 30Hz area. They say it does 20 Hz, but to what extent, I can't say.

Based on the description of your room, I would say you could easily be looking at an open room volume of 3500-4000cu.ft. That is not a small room. :) The Subwoofer will act on the whole open-room volume, unlike your speakers which are much more influenced by your distance-from. I'm not arguing that you need to pressurize the whole space, but you should be mindful that the whole space will have an impact on you and your listening area. :)

While things are out of stock, I would recommend being patient. Buy the best Sub you can, even if it means waiting a month or two longer. Good quality, clean and linear bass will be the reward! :D It will be worth it.

Last edited:
J

jsf0656

Audioholic
my setup is music only. i was also thinking about the 12in monolith as well. i can wait. i want to get a really good sub that fills in the botton end so that the whole experience is seamless with accurancy but not boominess. i could have already had a great sub a couple of years ago but instead i ended up buying a few subs that were ok but didnt give me the fullness i was looking for with my music. i want to do it right this time! thats why i came to the guys on audioholics. you steered my right with my JBLs so i am trusting you guys to steer me in the right direction again!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
my setup is music only. i was also thinking about the 12in monolith as well. i can wait. i want to get a really good sub that fills in the botton end so that the whole experience is seamless with accurancy but not boominess. i could have already had a great sub a couple of years ago but instead i ended up buying a few subs that were ok but didnt give me the fullness i was looking for with my music. i want to do it right this time! thats why i came to the guys on audioholics. you steered my right with my JBLs so i am trusting you guys to steer me in the right direction again!
Good to know... I think in that case, perhaps the 10" would work very well, too. It is still a monster, and I don't think it will disappoint. Between the two 10" options, I would still lean Monolith over the speedwoofer, I think.
SVS could still be an option if the PB or PC 2000pro would work for you. I just think the 1000 series will underperform in your room compared to the Monolith options.

Happy hunting!

J

jsf0656

Audioholic
yes the svs 2000 series are an option as well. i have read that a properly tuned ported is as good as a sealed box for music. is this correct?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
A well designed sub is a well designed sub and doesn't care what you play on it. Lots of good sub options out there....maybe check out the Hsu VTF-2 mk5 or the VTF-3 mk5 subs....they have variable tuning too.

J

jsf0656

Audioholic
A well designed sub is a well designed sub and doesn't care what you play on it. Lots of good sub options out there....maybe check out the Hsu VTF-2 mk5 or the VTF-3 mk5 subs....they have variable tuning too.
i forgot about the HSU subs as that is also a option to consider. now comes the hard part....deciding which one?

J

jsf0656

Audioholic
audioholics......a great educational experience! i am not that knowledgable about all of the audio topics. i just enjoy browsing all of the post here....and learning!

J

jsf0656

Audioholic
audioholics......a great educational experience! i am not that knowledgable about all of the audio topics. i just enjoy browsing all of the post here....and learning!
retired and enjoying myself!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Laughing! He was on a path to a good choice, then...
"Look! More shiny Booms!"
:D

J

jsf0656

Audioholic
these are on my list for my next sub....

monolith 10
rslspeedwoofer 10
svspb or sb2000pro
hsu-2 mk5
rythmik Lv12f or L12

given my setup for 100% music...and i am 60,70,80s rock music fan...old school
which of these would be serve me better?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
these are on my list for my next sub....

monolith 10
rslspeedwoofer 10
svspb or sb2000pro
hsu-2 mk5
rythmik Lv12f or L12

given my setup for 100% music...and i am 60,70,80s rock music fan...old school
which of these would be serve me better?
How loud do you like to listen?

The thing is, the music you listen to doesn't have much in the way of deep bass. In fact, I think you are looking at the wrong class of subwoofer here. From that bunch, I would go with the Hsu VTF-2 or SVS Pro series. They will have the most mid-bass output. But I don't think you need to spend that much. The music you listen to rarely digs below 50Hz. I think this subwoofer would be a viable alternative and save you a bunch of money. If you really like to jam, I would be looking at the Hsu ULS-15 mk2, which has a lot of mid-bass punch. A couple of these should have quite a bit of punch for the money as well.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis